1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Thanks chaps :)

Curious - as usual this seems to be a minefield of fit-out being different - I have this pic of TZ138 which shows the layout I went for which does seem slightly different

2_zps62bx6vl8.jpg

there are others like the two ahead of the radiator that do marry up - great to get the help though, thank you :)

Are you finding this scale easier of more difficult than 1/32 or 1/24?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

thanks Mark -I would say easier, simply because everything is bigger to work with, however, the downside is I have to protect surfaces as I keep dinking the larger airframe on things as I handle it :)

thanks all

Peter

Hello!

Here is the my walkaround of RTAF Mk.XIV at Bangkok. I hope it will help a little.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100009549@N06/albums/72157672900489963

those are extremely useful pics - thank you. I particularly like the ones from above the canopy which is not a point of view I think I have ever seen in detail :)

That drawing you posted, we cannot fathom out what all the panels are for on the bottom of the ailerons, it has the two to access the hinge pins, and that is about it.

I have no idea either Tony - I did see them on some reference pics so included them - I have built the ailerons now so they are here to stay!

maybe on earlier versions knowing my luck..

WIP925_zpsysasw7sm.jpg

TTFN

Peter

I have done a little more, this time the first panel under the wing at the wingtip where the pitot is fitted..

WIP917_zpszcnqrp8k.jpg

I drew out the panel, cut out the hatch where the pitot is mounted and started riveting...

WIP915_zpsgb66lho4.jpg

..once complete I added a small brass tube inside where the hatch is so I can mount the pitot fitting..

WIP916_zpsmgnm6fof.jpg

..in a nice little diversion from constant panel work, I started to make the pitot mount itself from a thick sheet of aluminium I got at Telford - I cut the shape with a cutting disc and left a 'handle' so I could hold it in a chuck while I shaped it...

WIP918_zpsylzkfsfq.jpg

..made the pitot tube from brass rod and prepared the parts for assembly..

WIP919_zpswmbxthoe.jpg

..and assembled - it has a brass pin to slot into the tube in the wing so I can put it on at the end...

WIP920_zps7ebedesv.jpg

..finally the hatch was made by using tape to get the shape, later, fastening screws were simulated and a cut-out where the pitot mount goes through the panel..

WIP921_zps12uofm4w.jpg

..and the finished parts in place..

WIP923_zpsuc0h1kcw.jpg

WIP924_zpsm10uoarv.jpg

WIP922_zpsevqssrt2.jpg

..thats it for today :)

TTFN
Peter

The panels on the Aileron appear to be repairs Peter, it looks like at some point they have either  had corrosion internally, required to inspect them or had issues with the balance weights, so have cut inspection holes, then pop riveted  repairs into the leading edges to fill the inspection holes.

The panels on the Aileron appear to be repairs Peter, it looks like at some point they have either  had corrosion internally, required to inspect them or had issues with the balance weights, so have cut inspection holes, then pop riveted  repairs into the leading edges to fill the inspection holes.

hmm, not sure about that Tony as they appear in various pics & drawings in the Montforton book, and online walkarounds so I don't think are one-off repairs on one airframe, like this one..

WIP927_zpsaqzkl5uq.jpg

How do u get such a clean fit on those round access panels?

..just gently turning a conical burr in a hand chuck until the round panel just drops through the hole - usual mantra - go slowly as you can always take away, but never add back material :)

..now then, I need help / opinions again..

there is what looks like a landing light on period pics of TZ138, but I can't find it on other Spits - some pics make me think it is a lens as it is much darker, some pics make me think it is just another access panel (though non-standard) as it seems to be metal, and in the final colour pic of TZ138 today it looks like a panel with three fixings but maybe this is post restoration?

WIP926_zpsuq1mrsss.jpg

what say you? a light?, a panel? a mirage?

odd but I can't seem to find it on other birds

TIA

Peter

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html/2

spitfire-xiv-wing_small.jpg

Internal structure of the Type C wing as fitted to the Spitfire Mk. VIII.
The leading edge fuel tank was peculiar to this mark and was not mounted on Spitfires Mk. V and  IX.
Interestingly, both this and the subsequent drawing (produced by Supermarine) of the Mk. VII show the downward identification lamp. However, this item was deleted in the Mk. VII & VIII production, by modification No. 746 issued on 1 May 1943.

Edited by TonyT