1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

I've only recently come into this thread (around page 60ish) and think the the work so far carried out is...spectacular!

I will admit that I haven't read the thread from the start, as I'm saving that for when the project is finished, but one question I do have (apologies if this has already be mentioned) is, is the base model a readily available kit?

So Peter, you have basically bought a very expensive kit which really is totally inaccurate.

Hi Cees - I think that may be a little strong actually and here is why - firstly it's a desktop model, not a sort of high accuarcy kit and was likely commissioned by someone as a one-off so I doubt it had the benefit of a huge team of designer / modellers behind it and now HpH just pop one when needed, secondly it's not totally inaccurate, in the vast majority of areas it is dimensionally sound - there are a few bits out of whack, but then I am comparing against the monforton plans which are a lifetimes work and likely were not around at the time this was made, in addition the base kit is an FR47 with the late Mk22 wing so may have different wing fillets anyway, and lastly I can't complain - I was gifted the kit by HpH for some help I gave them on one of their subjects :)

Like Hubert says - I wanted a big Spit so it was this or taking the airfix 1/24 for some serious surgery - I felt this was nearer a Griffon Spit than had I started with that

..now about that Hampden - if you can build a full size Halifax cockpit then you can do one in your sleep right :ninja:

TTFN

Peter

I've only recently come into this thread (around page 60ish) and think the the work so far carried out is...spectacular!

I will admit that I haven't read the thread from the start, as I'm saving that for when the project is finished, but one question I do have (apologies if this has already be mentioned) is, is the base model a readily available kit?

Hi Tony - thank you very much :)

Yes, the kit is available from HpH but it is a Seafire FR47 and has now gone from their website. I am sure if you drop them a line they will make one to order - last I heard they were 450 Euros

I have PE for it if needed :)

Peter

I agree Peter, fair reason and the profile of the Spitfire (both Merlin and Griffon powered) is one of the most beautiful in aircraft history and you are capturing it outstandingly. Congratulations for the great work, and thank you for sharing it.

Cheers

:piliot:  

Hi Tony - thank you very much :)

Yes, the kit is available from HpH but it is a Seafire FR47 and has now gone from their website. I am sure if you drop them a line they will make one to order - last I heard they were 450 Euros

I have PE for it if needed :)

Peter

Hmmm, 1:18 Seafire FR47, now there's a thought... :hmmm:

evening folks :)

a little bit more done - I think I have been at these wing fillets for about a week and have re-done them several times..

..the geometry is quite hard to realise, so I added some brass sheet strakes to help give me something to profile the filler to..

WIP832_zpsxu2s0tl6.jpg

..the fillets are slightly proud of the skin in real life so I thought I could create a profile by using sheet litho cut to the outline of the fillet as it runs all the way along the fuselage - I used the plans to get the right outlines and stuck them down with CA..

WIP833_zpsgp0stcmi.jpg

WIP834_zps0jvwi06d.jpg

WIP835_zps7lefju9z.jpg

..and then used filler to blend them in..

WIP836_zpsenkfj5qg.jpg

..a shot of primer let me see how they were looking - they are more aligned to the real ones but still need some work..

WIP839_zps63l6b2x4.jpg

WIP838_zpsr7qn7qv5.jpg

..be glad when they are finished and I can go back to skinning :)

TTFN

Peter

Nice edge. Sanding both curves symmetrically will be a real test.  Maybe make the part, drill holes in it and temporarily attach the edges.  Maybe the part will find its natural curve.  If so, you may be able to infill thru the holes.  Just an idea.

Good stuff, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

just a quick question mate

I noticed that my fort (and indeed any aircraft I've pewter skinned) have taken on oxidation and tarnish at time goes by. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and looks pretty cool for a nice weathered effect.  In your case, this will be bad - granted you are using mainly litho plate, but won't the same thing happen over time to that? Is it going to be just a case of polishing it occasionally? :P

Edited by richdlc

just a quick question mate

I noticed that my fort (and indeed any aircraft I've pewter skinned) have taken on oxidation and tarnish at time goes by. This is not necessarily a bad thing, and looks pretty cool for a nice weathered effect.  In your case, this will be bad - granted you are using mainly litho plate, but won't the same thing happen over time to that? Is it going to be just a case of polishing it occasionally? :P

Rich

Good point. From what I've seen, normally oxidizes to a white-ish cast and dulls slightly but remains relatively bright.