Ever file 13 a kit or kits in progress?

hworth18

7 hours ago, chrish said:

Nothing! It’s a great kit, I built the hell out of it!

it was someone else’s cast off given to me instead of “file 13ing” it 

Phew...   thanks for telling me.

9 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

If you really don’t want or like the kits you are thinking of trashing , why not give them away to a local hobby store so someone may have a chance to complete them. Or try selling them in our traders board for spare parts?

Jim

I just did something similar to that last week Jim.  One of my neighbor's son's have started building models and their mother told me they were having a hard time finding kits and supplies for them, (we live in a rural area).  I went through my stash and found several kits, most of which were gifts over the years, of subjects I am not going to build and that were easy enough for young kids to build.  I found six kits that fit the bill and gave those to the family along with all my older waterbased acyrilcs as I have recently changed brands of that kind of paint, and 5 or 6 brushes that are in decent enough shape for kids to get some good use out of them.  They were very happy with the haul and I was glad to clear some storage space.  Win for everyone!

Ernest

12 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I recently pitched two Meng Fokker Dr. I’s.  I ruined them with clumsiness and couldn’t bear the idea of trying to save them.  But I have pitched crap kits before, too.

I have ruined more models with clumsiness. Highlights: 

Falling books while moving book shelf crushed my first vac kit. 
dripping airbrush paint cup

Thin CA glue mess when I thought it was gap filling.

A dangling sleeve caused a “cat fling”; table to the floor.

6 hours ago, Greif8 said:

I just did something similar to that last week Jim.  One of my neighbor's son's have started building models and their mother told me they were having a hard time finding kits and supplies for them, (we live in a rural area).  I went through my stash and found several kits, most of which were gifts over the years, of subjects I am not going to build and that were easy enough for young kids to build.  I found six kits that fit the bill and gave those to the family along with all my older waterbased acyrilcs as I have recently changed brands of that kind of paint, and 5 or 6 brushes that are in decent enough shape for kids to get some good use out of them.  They were very happy with the haul and I was glad to clear some storage space.  Win for everyone!

Ernest

I like that 

I did the same thing about three years ago, a distant relative of my wife has a sister in Wyoming with a teen son who has developed an interest in model aircraft, I went through my stash and sent everything 1/48 or that I wouldn’t build to him (we won’t discuss what sending a 2.5 foot square box full of models costs to USA from Canada but I got out from under a dozen or more models and fed someone else’s addiction….you’re welcome :coolio:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 2:06 PM, ScottsGT said:

This makes me sad.  I have a Trumpeter Avenger that I’m going to build as the guppy with the radar on the belly and an enclosed rear cockpit and I’m not going to use the turret.  

That being said, I have a 1/72 Concorde kit missing the canopy. Heller now sells it and twice I have written them asking about buying a replacement.  I actually got a email response once, but that was all I got.  Thinking of just tossing it now. 

Just a humorous update after Lee sent me the parts.  
Yesterday I got a knock at the door.  It was our postman needing a signature.  A package from Germany? Hmmm.  What could this be?  
Yep.  You guessed it. Heller finally came through….7 months later.  :mellow:

On 3/19/2024 at 8:28 AM, ScottsGT said:

Just a humorous update after Lee sent me the parts.  
Yesterday I got a knock at the door.  It was our postman needing a signature.  A package from Germany? Hmmm.  What could this be?  
Yep.  You guessed it. Heller finally came through….7 months later.  :mellow:

Write them you have a canopy, but missing the rest of the kit…

Alain

I have been thinking about this exact thing for the last few weeks. I have been very unwell for the last couple of years (like deathly unwell) and haven't completed a kit since. I can't bring myself to return to those kits, so I will probably give them away.

I have indeed binned many a kit, and find the act to be thoroughly therapeutic.

For some reason, on some projects, the kit doesn't come together as planned, or it doesn't look the way I had imagined, and my passion for the project quickly drops off.  When it doesn't come back after a period of years, I tend to throw it out, largely to make room for newer, more pertinent stuff.

I do strip the box of interesting parts/decals/bits first, however, and bag them with a label indicating what kit they came from.

You never know what interesting little accessories will be useful down the road.

I assume file 13 means to file it in the round filing cabinet?

Yes: i have done that with many kits over the years but only after I’ve learned something from it because that’s how I learn: trial and error. I think Samuel Beckett’s quote:

”Ever tried? Ever failed? Try again. Fail better.”

could be applied to modelling or any art or craft. We can find techniques galore on the internet but it does not mean they translate into our hands (or at least not mine). For me, I know it’s definitely not a kit but often my own inability. I often end up doing a single step at least twice before I am happy (or happier) with the result. 

Kind regards,

Paul

28 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Revell kit Martin? :blink:

Nope,  the HKM attempt. I was pushing and pushing and realized that this is never going to look like Mosquito. Revell would be probably a better starting point. I just bled out over that thing. In matter of fact it was so bad that I gave my fully loaded Tamiyas away as well.