Ever file 13 a kit or kits in progress?

hworth18

Have you ever just got tired of working on a kit and just trashed it? Or cleared out the shelf of doom with one big swoop??

I'm contemplating just cleaning out everything and starting fresh.. The kits I'm thinking about doing away with aren't that expensive, so the dollar loss is minimal.

Opinions??? 

Edited by hworth18

• hworth18 changed the title to Ever file 13 a kit or kits in progress?

Recently binned a 1/35 RFM Tiger I late because the tracks would not stay together.  I swear I'd look at them sideways and they'd fall apart.  Into the bin it went...  I had another for a different project; that one got donated to the local club contest raffle pile....  As far as the Shelf-Of-Doom is concerned, I really haven't done anything with that.  I have four or five kits in that state but the oldest one, a 1/72 Gato Class Submarine 2/3 built, just sits on the top shelf collecting dust.

Sadly, I've binned many a kit partway through. 

I had a pair of HK B-25Js on the bench and the constant work on the rear half of the  fuselage interior just wore me down. I gave up after a while and eventually tossed them when I knew I'd never go back to them. 

The Takom M29C is probably going to share a similar fate. The suspension parts are ridiculously tiny, fiddly and have a vague fit. None of mine line up and the link and length track is off. 

Carl

Been there,  done that but still waiting for my T-shirt! 

Seriously, I've binned a few over the years when I realized the stress of seeing them on the SOD outweighed any sense of satisfaction i would have enjoyed seeing it through. 

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I have four or five kits in that state but the oldest one, a 1/72 Gato Class Submarine 2/3 built, just sits on the top shelf collecting dust.

My own Gato looks like a condo for spiders;... talk about some serious rigging. As to tossing a project (or projects), yes, I've thrown out any number of them. I have a 1:32 Mirage to Kfir conversion and a MiG-21MF that probably need to be tossed, just haven't been able to bring myself to actually do it.

1/48 Great Wall Hobby; nearly complete, ran into issues, got tired of the build and it's issues....jammed it back in the box, took the box outside on the sidewalk and walked all over it

Roden 1/48 Turbo porter (see above)\

Airfix 1/24 Typhoon is going that way

Zvezda Boeing 777 gonna get stomped soon

Tamiya 1/35 Tiger buggered up the paint, was going to toss it but gave it to grand kids (same end result)

Trumpeter Mig 15 half done, back in the box, lost parts tossed it.

I'm much worse, or was much worse at saving auto parts that I may need someday, finally cleaned out boxes and boxes of old Holly and, Rochester carb. parts HEI distributors, cams, coils and all that old performance stuff

very therapeutic to clean out old parts kits and crap every now and then

sooooooo ya

Actually no. Never. And this also applies to all of my friends. We have issues with tracks? We replace them by other ones. We are fed up of a kit? We put is aside, up to better days. We made a mess with a kit? We keep it for spare parts or give it to another modeller for the same reason! As it is a hobby there are as many practices as modellers and available space may also be a problem. So I'm not criticizing. Nonetheless, trashing something just because you want to do something else looks very weird to my eyes!

Yes.  No sense wasting valuable modelling time on something that has fought back once too often, and is never going to reach my self-imposed standards - which honestly are not impossibly high!  It's a hobby, done for pleasure, so if what I'm doing is no longer giving me pleasure :yahoo:, but has become a chore :deadhorse: , then it's time for it to go.  Only very rarely have I regretted it and bought the same kit again: it actually feels cathartic.

I should say it will have had a long spell on the Shelf of Doom, I don't just suddenly decide I've lost interest and bin what I'm doing within 6 seconds.  And after that, it usually gets another go, and I have been known to finish it.  And I usually salvage spare parts if they're salvageable

Edited by MikeC

6 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Recently binned a 1/35 RFM Tiger I late because the tracks would not stay together.  I swear I'd look at them sideways and they'd fall apart. 

I had that once: mine was ICM's Bu 131 a couple of years ago, and the elevators just would not stay fixed to the tailplanes!  :deadhorse:

Like Thierry and Max, I never bin. I put them to sleep.
Many times after completing and painting the cockpit and doing the necessary structural corrections, I’m facing the issue I hate the most: engraving new panel lines and riveting. For some reason, I’ve never finished a Special Hobby kit even if I started quite a number of them. 
So no Shelf of Doom for me. Rather a cemetery of sleeping beauties waiting endlessly for a Prince Charming to wake them up.

12 minutes ago, quang said:

Rather a cemetery of sleeping beauties waiting endlessly for a Prince Charming to wake them up.

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually that's a very poetic description.  Now I think of it, I have sometimes given away a part-finished kit to someone at my model club who has expressed an interest.  So I guess that fits the bill of a "Prince Charming".

Edited by MikeC

44 minutes ago, MikeC said:

I had that once: mine was ICM's Bu 131 a couple of years ago, and the elevators just would not stay fixed to the tailplanes!  :deadhorse:

That reminds me Mike, I have a Bu 131 to finish, must dig it out! 

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Actually that's a very poetic description.  Now I think of it, I have sometimes given away a part-finished kit to someone at my model club who has expressed an interest.  So I guess that fits the bill of a "Prince Charming".

As a matter of fact, there WAS a Prince Charming, a long-time friend, now sadly deceased, who’s grown an obsession for my cockpits. He traded quite a few of my unfinished models for NIB (new in box) kits.
Until one day, one whom I long considered as my better half :hmmm:persuaded the weak-willed me to get rid of the newish kits for peanut prices at a local model show.

So it goes!