1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

Hi Peter,

Hats off to you for your thoughtful and traditional approach which is already reaping dividends.  I really enjoy how you break-down the shape and solve each problem one by one to arrive at the form you are looking for. I know that for every step you describe there is a significant amount of time just thinking about how to solve it before taking action. Bravo!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Gentlemen, very kind :)

On 12/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, Derek B said:

This is the real truth of scratch building - for every one great image shown, there are at least ten (or more) imperfect ones that are not shown, each one requiring more work on the model to correct imperfections, mistakes or repairs before they are good enough to be photographed; none of this is shown, so kudos to you Peter.

Derek 

there is plenty of rework, thats for sure, but thats all part of the fun :)

In fact, this post is littered with it...

time to make the fuselage sides, so made a plug using the same bulkhead drawings and vacformed form sheet..

ZUmZEh.jpg

,,these were then tack CA'd into place so the sanding & filling could start.. you can see additional strip plugs added as I screwed up the measure / cutting..

irojdU.jpg

..and once refined, the structural elements of the fuselage are complete..

evH1f6.jpg

u9eHMB.jpg

..a jig was fixed to the sides while they were in place to keep everything where it should be (if they flex, the detail breaks free inside later  - tell me how I know), and then they were cut & prised off and interior detail started..

c77USV.jpg

..in the next screw up, I should have made the sides run right to the last bulkhead, but I had cut them at the headrest bulkhead - the fuselage is hollow in real life so actually there is no bulkhead at all, but I ran it to one behind the seat in the hope it won't be seen..

..so the sides were refitted and the last section cut out..

AT3AfX.jpg

..this meant the sides needed sorting out to integrate the additional walls, so out with the filler again..

Fh6JkG.jpg

..the missing detail was added..

HKXWcp.jpg

..and cleaned up & primed you would never know on the inside..

xCAxMh.jpg

5U22Jh.jpg

..however, on the outside it is Frankenstein's monster..

ukc5vI.jpg

...the structural beams were made from litho, but will have to be fitted to the fuselage rails, rather than the walls as there is no way to add the sides over the brass beams once they are in place..

ZWbRPW.jpg

onwards & upwards :)

TTFN

Peter

thank you ladies, you are all too kind :)

so, this is one of the few pics I have of the cockpit...

8EFY6c.jpg

..tons of info there - all I have to do now is make it..

..started with control yoke, forward bulkhead & rudder pedals, all from plastic or brasss..

jWYtPA.jpg

...then it was a few more bobbins including the seat and time for paint.. I have tried to start a bit of weathering as I suspect open cockpit, seawater and an oliy monster 18 inches away would mean it would get a bit grubby..

qWd6qa.jpg

EpCSuz.jpg

aoyQQf.jpg

..also starting to get the fuel tank seen in the photo ready for fitting, though lots more pipes to go..

m0pVbZ.jpg

..and thats it - I want to get it closed up so I can start skinning the fuselage - the instrument panel is next as soon as the decals arrive later this week

have a wonderful Xmas everyone :yahoo:

TTFN
Peter