1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

thank you all, very kind :)

time to build out the fuselage of this curvy girl..

started by black outlining all formers with a sharpie so when I sand I can see when I hit the outline, then it was filled out with hard foam blocks in between all the formers ..

R4xQ3Y.jpg

then those were cut and sanded to the base profile - litho cockpit sides were added to keep shape integrity while filling / sanding..

mhGJOF.jpg

KBYrzR.jpg

c6C9RZ.jpg

..then the structure was given a thin skim of P38 filler..

XpO6Mw.jpg

..and sanded to shape.. this is the 'rough cut'..

pdHvjP.jpg

..lots of sanding and re-filling & re-priming and the base fuselage is complete for skinning in metal later..

tDbdlz.jpg

..the big definitive rocker cover fairings were a challange and I pondered how to do them. Eventually, I made up a basic 3D version which my skills in no way allow me to get all the subtle shapes so these just serve as something to start with - though the exhaust port blocks will be separate as they will ultimately be scale..

vf0Mnw.jpg

..I started the refinement by getting the position and relationship to the fuselage right. This is done by covering the fuselage with aluminium plumbers tape that pretty much defies anything sticking to it for long and the fairings spot CA'd in place followed by filler so they become a close fit... they can then be easily broken off for final shaping..

UsZ1A0.jpg

.. then after they were permanently fixed, a definition needed to be made to start to represent the fuselage break where the fuselage and engine fairings meet..

..this was done with lining tape and filler added and sanded until the tape can be seen..

v5zNgK.jpg

,,and the all important nose profile starts to take shape..

ZMopIc.jpg

eyr6FT.jpg

u1DI5u.jpg

wTyWfk.jpg

WQRbgu.jpg

..and thats it for now :)

TTFN

Peter

Inspiring work Peter - thank you for sharing your step by step build sequences. I scratch build exactly like you, except that I have not had the courage to litho plate using your methods...yet! Two distinct advantages are your ability to create and print 3D parts and photo-etch parts.

Derek 

15 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

The casual way you describe creating these faultless parts belies the actual amount of skill, dexterity and effort that goes into them.

Like any master of their craft you make this look ridiculously easy when I think we all know it is not.

Inspirational. :bow:

This is the real truth of scratch building - for every one great image shown, there are at least ten (or more) imperfect ones that are not shown, each one requiring more work on the model to correct imperfections, mistakes or repairs before they are good enough to be photographed; none of this is shown, so kudos to you Peter.

Derek 

There is a real danger to being a peerless builder such as yourself because we get used to your magic and a little blasé about it.  “Well, of course Peter did this impossible thing,” we think to ourselves.  “Why wouldn’t he - he’s Peter.”  To steer back to the real airplane for a bit:  Something most people would never think about is the unbelievable deluge of noise the pilot had to endure from the short stacks of that massive motor just a couple of feet in front of his face.  It had to be excruciating to fly that thing at full throttle.  Personally, I don’t know how anyone did it.  They must have died deaf.