1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

With apologies to my P39, it is time to nail something new together...

I was inspired by the exquisite models on show at Telford to go back to old school model making. My P39 started as an experiment that proved I could make a whole airfame in 3D, but after a long break from any modelmaking as I focused on airscale I found it hard to pick it back up..

Add to that a chance conversation with my friend Torben at SMW about subjects that could inspire me, he mentioned early racers and a bulb in my head went off :). Both he and I like ther S5, but the S6B has so many attributes that suit me - one being it is all metal rather than fabric winged and the other being that the real one is accessible at the Science Museum in London...

So here we are... S1595..

i6wZlQ.jpg

IlioZi.jpg

..a beautiful machine..

..with inspiration in place and many hours of trawling the internet for images, I set off for London to get reference pics - unfortunately it is really badly lit, but 457 pics later I had enough with the disparate plans I found to start drawing out shapes...

..the rear of a float for example..

J3r8zD.jpg

..and this aeroplane is covered in a LOT of rivets, especially the wings as the surface doubles as the radiators (which were removed from the slipstream for streamlining)..

typical is the float again...

xWmbZy.jpg

..though where I have been doing complex cockpits in previous models, this one is pretty simple..

tTjr40.jpg

..still room for 3D though, this will become the fuel tank under the instrument panel..

9acIlS.jpg

..with drawings created, I made lots and lots of parts from 1mm card & 2mm cores... I also designed a 3D printed matrix with the bottom of the fuselage and the top of the floats to set the angle and give strength to the struts..

QCjs0S.jpg

wb056L.jpg

..the cockpit is going to be tricky as there is just skin and very small thin formers so for now it is part of the core and with brass 'U' channel running down the sides where the real one has a strengthener I hope to cut it all away later

..the 3D core in the fuselage includes holes for the wing spars and you can see on the forward end one of the holes for 3mm brass rod for the strut cores (the other is just visible under the back of the wing)..

kL9Rdi.jpg

..Same for the float tops, though the scars from me getting the angles wrong on the first pass are visible here..  there is also a slot running around it to centre the cores...

M22ffF.jpg

..and assembly has started, the fuselage is super slim, literally the size of the engine cross section - the shape will be created by filling the gaps with hard sculpting foam and a skim of P38 filler before skinning.. for now there are just placeholders for the engine blisters as I need to refine the drawings - they are a complex shape..

NRAf51.jpg

ZgNPQY.jpg

so that's it - underway with a new project and I am glad to be back at the bench :)

TTFN

Peter

Ooh, I didn't see that one coming Peter! First thing I noticed was the cockpit photograph - specifically the internal longitudinal fuselage spars - which shows the very clear future Spitfire ancestry! Good luck with what will be an awe-inspiring build.

Cheers

Derek

Oh my goodness - me and my big mouth! 

Crikey you move fast Peter! 

Great choice - The S5 has very little ref, if any for it’s cockpit - with the S6B, I think having access to the real thing will really help you nail this one.

So looking forward to seeing you bring this one to life.... :popcorn:

Torben 

aww thanks chaps - so nice of you to welcome this build so enthusiastically :)

I am really looking forward to it and so far all seems to be going well - I got a bit more done today adding more strength to the fuselage in a jig to keep the spine straight until it's all set..

..also chopped out the cockpit area and thankfully the brass bracing structure that mirrors the real one (the lower beams are a bit overscale thickness for strength) seem to have worked and it is all quite rigid..

1QxxVX.jpg

wzzjvV.jpg

..even put a mock up IP in it, though the real one is sloped slightly..

Dr6LfT.jpg

having fun :)

fDlE0c.jpg

TTFN

Peter

have you ever had it where you go to bed at night and think about what you are going to do on your build the next day?

I know when I am really into my build when I feel like it's Christmas Eve and I can't wait to get up... so at my bench at 8am on a Sunday and I have S6B floats now :)

..started by adding a 'T' section to the bottom of the cores - this really should have been brass, but I haven't got enough so plastic it is.. then each former one by one with the plan view stiffner in between..

..having made the parts already, it took shape quickly..

q1514m.jpg

..soon front and rear sections had one side of the profiles..

Dqe8zY.jpg

...soon all the formers were added and integrated with the 3D top part that the struts mount to..

LoUaN1.jpg

..then all the components were cemented together )x2) :)

Boukk5.jpg

..with the floats made up, it was time for a test fit..

1nwpep.jpg

..the 3D parts really help lock everything in and get the geometry right..

BG66Be.jpg

DD4G2K.jpg

c47fSW.jpg

..happy with that for a day's work :)

TTFN
Peter