I had a stroke

Woody V

It's not my style to share personal information but my experience could possibly save you or someone you love.

In my case I knew I was having a stroke because my mother had one and I recognized the symptoms and called EMS immediately. My doctors and nurses all told me that my quick reaction saved me from a much more serious outcome.

As it is, I only spent 2 days in the hospital and my symptoms have all but gone, but let me tell you that when I was fist admitted I couldn't talk or even write. It was horrifying not being able to communicate and the thought that this was going to be my new reality left me to wonder if therapy would help and how long it would take. By the grace of God and my prompt action, I'm happy to be a almost fully functional human being again.

There will have to be some changes in my life, and residual weakness in my one arm may affect my ability to build models, but time will tell.

KNOW THE SYMPTOMS!

DON'T SCREW AROUND!

ACT PROMPTLY!
stroke-fast-nia.jpg

Edited by Woody V

I’m so pleased that you recognised the symptoms quickly and acted immediately Woody, time certainly is critical with these situations. I had a “mini-stroke” (TIA) five years ago which was scary, but I had no idea what it was and didn’t see a doctor for several days, so I was stupidly lucky to be where I am today! 
I’m on medication for the rest of my life of course and regular blood checks, but a positive has come out of that because a form of blood cancer (ET) was identified last year which obviously is life threatening too. More medication but I’m fit and “healthy”.

All the best going forward, keep taking the pills! 

Blimey and good reactions to self analysis. What does it feel like from the inside?. Is it something to screaming inside but no one can hear you (if that makes sense). My wife had a TIA  at work some years ago and her colleagues were all over it and got "blue lighted" (as we say) to Accident & Emergency. Fully recovered but I remember being at her bedside and seeing your loved one completely vacant was unforgettable. 

Steve.

Boy you were smart to recognise the symptoms, in the UK FAST was the subject of a TV advertising campaign which certainly raised awareness.

I lost my dad to a stroke so it does sound ever so personal to me, he was only 65.

Glad to hear that you survived intact, though it sounds like some physio is in your future.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, Stevepd said:

Blimey and good reactions to self analysis. What does it feel like from the inside?. Is it something to screaming inside but no one can hear you 

Steve.

Exactly. It’s like being fully aware but there’s a veil between you and the rest of the world. You can’t even communicate by writing. I stayed in the “stroke ward” and some there were heartbreaking. 

For what it’s worth, I experienced a temporary loss of balance, double vision and tingling around the left side of my mouth, all this as we left a golf club bar (and no, I hadn’t been drinking on this occasion) but by the time we got back to our lodge in Trevose I was feeling worried but relatively normal. It wasn’t until I got home two days later and mentioned this to my wife who insisted that I see a doctor, who in turn sent me immediately to hospital. Thank goodness for sensible people!