spoke to Airfix yesterday..

airscale

As noted in John Alcorn's book 'The Master Scratch Builders'; 1/24 is the smallest scale within which one can see everything as it would be in 1:1. 1/24 does have presence and heft however and is a traditional scale for Airfix which 10 year old me was hugely impressed by. Even the oldest of their offerings are accurate in outline and every one of them can be built up into a decent representation. 

In larger scales Airfix, like Tamiya, are hugely conservative or, to put it another way, go for sure fire winners. Depending on the sales performance of the Hellcat I can see them going for a U.S. Navy subject such as the Corsair. Or, given that models with black crosses on them tend to be 'bread and butter' sales for most model companies they might be tempted into doing one of two Messerschmitts: either the Bf109-G6 or the Me262-A1. I'd vote for the 262 because then some crazy soul could recreate Roy Cross's iconic 'Dogfight Double' artwork in 1/24 of a lone Mosquito being hunted down by two Me262s. All candidates mentioned have comprehensive drawings available, have physical examples in existence and can therefore be LIDAR scanned,

Total speculation but food for thought.

Kind regards,

Paul

great subjects and some definate possibilities in here - I would love to see a Sea Fury and if I was in it for the money a 109G

while not wishing to fuel incorrect assumptions or specualtion though I know it undoubtedly will :) there is one thing been running through my head today which was when I was talking to Luke (who is their lead researcher) about how he got into the job and how fab it must be, one thing he said was about getting to travel to interesting countries like "Finland and other European places"- my ears pricked up and I thought what have Airfix done or might do thats in Finland?

its probaby nothing, but its all part of the guessing game :coolio:

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

Possibly not as big as a Mosquito?:hmmm:

Nope. The Mossie's wingspan was 54 feet, the P-38's was 52. To put it in perspective, a 1/24 P-38's wingspan would be about 12 inches less than the 1/32 B-17 kit.

42 minutes ago, airscale said:

when I was talking to Luke (who is their lead researcher) about how he got into the job and how fab it must be, one thing he said was about getting to travel to interesting countries like "Finland and other European places"- my ears pricked up and I thought what have Airfix done or might do thats in Finland?

If it’s Finland they’ve travelled to then it’s undoubtedly, certainly, most definitely without a shadow of doubt the only Gloster Gauntlet in the world! Be still my beating heart! :D:P:wub:

40 minutes ago, airscale said:

great subjects and some definate possibilities in here - I would love to see a Sea Fury and if I was in it for the money a 109G

while not wishing to fuel incorrect assumptions or specualtion though I know it undoubtedly will :) there is one thing been running through my head today which was when I was talking to Luke (who is their lead researcher) about how he got into the job and how fab it must be, one thing he said was about getting to travel to interesting countries like "Finland and other European places"- my ears pricked up and I thought what have Airfix done or might do thats in Finland?

The Finns have a huge and varied collection of aircraft, from every major participant in the European war (maybe not Italy!).

They even have a Gloster Gauntlet…

So it would be difficult to find out what Airfix was interested in.

Alain

Just now, mozart said:

If it’s Finland they’ve travelled to then it’s undoubtedly, certainly, most definitely without a shadow of doubt the only Gloster Gauntlet in the world! Be still my beating heart! :D:P:wub:

I was just writing about that Gauntlet!