spoke to Airfix yesterday..

airscale

A 1/24th scale McDonnell F-4 Phantom II would have a huge market, and its shelf footprint is not really bigger than a Mosquito in the same scale.

I could see a lot of model makers of all ages being utterly thrilled by a big FG.1/F-4K Spey Toom. It would need folding rather than optional folded wings, or swappable outer wings to further reduce its display footprint, but would very likely be the kit of the decade.

An E.E.Lightning F.6 would be just as wonderful, but I don't think the Americans or Asians would buy stacks of them.

If it's a propellery subject I'd rather Airfix invested in a 1/48 Halifax or 1/72 Bristol Britannia.

Tony 

On 5/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, Landrotten Highlander said:

For me, an early Hurricane would be nice...

I doubt very much Airfix would consider a I/24 Hurricane when there are perfectly good Trumpeter releases. There is no room for overlap in this very niche scale. However whilst we are having another dream thread, I also spoke to Airfix and asked them to possibly consider a I/24 hawker Sea Fury, which I believe could also be popular for them.

Rgds

Jon

6 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Says the man who suggested a BAe Hawk...

There was a rumour years ago, that that was to be their next 1/24 release, this time around I'll be surprised if it isn't a Corsair, hope I'm wrong and they do an EE Lightning, that I would buy.

7 hours ago, Hardcore said:

What now? Too big.? 1/24 scale:lol:

:P

Haha.....yes, this is large scale planes I guess. 

It would be super to see a Meteor, Sabre or especially a Hunter in 24th scale but given that the largest jet Airfix has sold so far is a Harrier I'd say even the chances are slim

We can but hope though.

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by geedubelyer

On 5/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, Zola25 said:

I have a feeling they burned their fingers on the F6F - I cannot substantiate that with any sales statistics so I am only judging by the people I know who didnt buy it - and are known to buy almost anything ^_^ I think it will be a while (if ever) before we will see something like a Corsair (unfortunately).

Niels

the Hellcat looks great, but the plastic is still too soft goo, as is the sharpness of detail and mould quality - I think that's what hurt the release as much as the aircraft and variant in question

if it was as good as the new Spit - and let's be brutal, this is only getting them close to where Tamiya were when they released their first 1/32 uber kit the Zero, and that was over 15 years ago - i think it would have done a lot better

but i'm pleased the Spit has done well for them; i do think it is stonkingly good value - you can pick it up for less than £85 shipped here in UK

if i was Airfix i would go for a Bf109 (prob a G-6 because it's the shape so many people recognise), a P-51 or a P-47. Yes a Hurricane would sell here because it's Airfix and we just love their stuff lol, but globally I can't see it, plus the Trumpy kit really is very good

55 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

the Hellcat looks great, but the plastic is still too soft goo, as is the sharpness of detail and mould quality - I think that's what hurt the release as much as the aircraft and variant in question

if it was as good as the new Spit - and let's be brutal, this is only getting them close to where Tamiya were when they released their first 1/32 uber kit the Zero, and that was over 15 years ago - i think it would have done a lot better

but i'm pleased the Spit has done well for them; i do think it is stonkingly good value - you can pick it up for less than £85 shipped here in UK

if i was Airfix i would go for a Bf109 (prob a G-6 because it's the shape so many people recognise), a P-51 or a P-47. Yes a Hurricane would sell here because it's Airfix and we just love their stuff lol, but globally I can't see it, plus the Trumpy kit really is very good

55 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Like the Hurricane suggestion, a Bf 109 G-6 ?! - There is a perfectly good Trumpeter release on the market. Why do some people expect manufacturers to commit commercial suicide with repetitive subjects in a very niche scale . It would be good to have a subject of a bit more imagination. How about a 1/24 Meteor F8 :huh:.

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Says the man who suggested a BAe Hawk...

Good point. Didn't realise how close these all are in length. 

Thanks for illuminating me.

Don't I feel foolish. :blush:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Move along, nothing to see here.......:ninja::ph34r:

Edited by geedubelyer

3 hours ago, jbrennan said:

Like the Hurricane suggestion, a Bf 109 G-6 ?! - There is a perfectly good Trumpeter release on the market. Why do some people expect manufacturers to commit commercial suicide with repetitive subjects in a very niche scale . It would be good to have a subject of a bit more imagination. How about a 1/24 Meteor F8 :huh:.

That Airfix would do a good job with a109G-6 I don't doubt but I agree with you something else would be a winning ticket for them. A meteor F.8 would be rather welcome I think[ I'm a 109 fan but enough is a enough]. A Corsair and/or Meteor would do fine! 

In 1/24 scale I see:

Spitty mkI, Hurri mk I, 109E, Stuka, FW190 & Harrier - Airfix 1970s-ish

A6m5, George, & a really bad 109E, and equally bad P51D- Bandai

Trumpy- A6m2 + A6m2n, 109G & K, a good Hurri mk I, Spitty mkVb + floatplane, FW 190d9

VFS did a P40

I 'm not sure on the newer 24th kits, perhaps someone can add to this list.

If we know what's been done, we might have a better picture on what might be.

56 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

In 1/24 scale I see:

Spitty mkI, Hurri mk I, 109E, Stuka, FW190 & Harrier - Airfix 1970s-ish

A6m5, George, & a really bad 109E, and equally bad P51D- Bandai

Trumpy- A6m2 + A6m2n, 109G & K, a good Hurri mk I, Spitty mkVb + floatplane, FW 190d9

VFS did a P40

I 'm not sure on the newer 24th kits, perhaps someone can add to this list.

If we know what's been done, we might have a better picture on what might be.

Didn't someone do a P-47? Don't forget the Airfix Hellcat[ I gotta get me one of those]