1/35 Border Butcher Bird

Archimedes

Well, they obviously 'sell' enough in 1/35 because if the 109 and Ju-87 didn't, then why would they be tooling another one up? I would never buy this scale but each to their own and the market share for these subjects is clearly adequate to support both 1/35 and 1/32. 

The real test however may come if they decide to go for something more daring or 'edgy' as a subject rather than safe and 'banker' subjects like the 109 and 190.

Gary

@Archimedesignore the pedants , I'd be interested to see what you make of it .:)

Border seem to have been releasing a whole bunch of stuff recently . I've been slowly making one of their Panzer IV's which is a nice kit , good plastic and nice crisp moulding. 

Odd to me how Tamiya are held as the Gods of Mount Olympus by many on this forum ( for a whole 7 kits in 40 years )  and yet most armour modelers would not consider them leaders in 1/35 armour anymore, and in the ship world Trumpeter rule the waves , yet again wildly disparaged. I fear dismissing Border without looking at is a mistake 

My only gripe with Borders 1/35 aircraft  is that seem a bit overpriced for what they are ( which their armour kits aren't ) , so interested to see your take on their 190 product.  

55 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

@Archimedesignore the pedants , I'd be interested to see what you make of it .:)

Border seem to have been releasing a whole bunch of stuff recently . I've been slowly making one of their Panzer IV's which is a nice kit , good plastic and nice crisp moulding. 

Odd to me how Tamiya are held as the Gods of Mount Olympus by many on this forum ( for a whole 7 kits in 40 years )  and yet most armour modelers would not consider them leaders in 1/35 armour anymore, and in the ship world Trumpeter rule the waves , yet again wildly disparaged. I fear dismissing Border without looking at is a mistake 

My only gripe with Borders 1/35 aircraft  is that seem a bit overpriced for what they are ( which their armour kits aren't ) , so interested to see your take on their 190 product.  

Panzer, 

I’m going to go a step further than my brief reply above to address a couple of your comments.  What I see from Border so far are some really good kits. At present I only have the Lancaster and, though I know it was developed elsewhere, it is a marvel of kit production. As for the 1/35 kits I think it is commercially a savvy move by them as they are moving into a space occupied by very few manufacturers. As I said in a separate thread; I think of 1/35 as ‘diorama scale’ so if we have a Fw190 in a revetment we can take any number of manufacturers’ vehicles, figures and diorama accessories that are readily available  and pose them with it. That was not easily possible before: one had to go with 1/32 vehicles, figures and accessories which there are relatively few of. So I am sanguine about the scale though, given the choice I would prefer ‘armour’ (meaning vehicles, figures and accessories) to be done in 1/32. As that does not look likely to happen then the next best option is aircraft, vehicles, figures and accessories in a unified 1/35 scale. 

As for kit quality ‘Tamiya are held as the Gods of Mount Olympus on this forum’, I see it differently: I genuinely don’t care who manufactures what. I see only kits that run from:

• A huge amount of work (let’s say a Sanger vacuform which gives a basic shape and the rest is up to you)

to

• This kit fits almost perfectly and is easy to assemble (e.g. a Hasegawa single engined fighter like the Ki-61 Hein (Tony) )

So for me a kit is only ever a start point that represents an amount of effort one wants to put in.  After all one can throw a huge amount of effort and aftermarket at even an Uber-kit like the Tamiya Mosquito. There is only one question: How much effort do I want to put in to get what I want to represent the airframe I am modelling.  We live in a relatively spoiled state these days where the range of large scale kits is ever increasing.  So, if Border want to produce a tidy Fw190 then I congratulate them on their effort.

My final point is this: kit quality in terms of ease of assembly and fit says absolutely nothing about accuracy which is a whole other subject in itself! The Trumpeter Ju87 for example assembles and fits perfectly acceptably but it is know to have accuracy issues.  We pays our money and we takes our choice!

The glass is half full these days though.  Let’s enjoy it!

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes

46 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I fully agree about the price. How can they sell smaller copies of the Trumpeter 109 and Stuka designs for a higher price? BTW, the aftermarket is also taking the train. Eduard just released a bunch of photoetched sets for the 109. Weird world...:blink:

I don't get it. The Trumpeter kits are 1:32, so larger than 1:35. What did I miss?