Italeri Mc-202

Steve Eagle

On 8/14/2023 at 3:55 AM, dennismcc said:

I would be over the moon if mine came out like that.

Cheers

Dennis

Same here.  I’d also be impressed if the closed engine cowling and gun hatch fit that well.

Looking at the instructions, the kit seems a bit more detailed and complex than I expected.  The last steps, putting all those little PE bits on the tail doesn’t look like a lot of fun.

My kit arrived today from eBay.

Edited by Dave Williams

I JUST received the kit from an EBay seller today...

IMG-4968.jpg

A big, deep box, in which there is a lot of empty space due to the relatively few sprues that are provided.  There are five sprues of grey plastic parts divided into two plastic baggies.  That means you have lots of sprues rubbing and shaking up against each other.  For international shipments like mine (Italy to the US) I'd expect some parts broken off sprues.  I had about 5-6 small pieces floating around the bags and some parts partially detached from sprues but I didn't see any major damage... yet.

IMG-4969.jpg

Here is Sprue A, which holds the fuselage halves.  Finally... a 1/32 scale Folgore from a major manufacturer... a long time coming!

IMG-4970.jpg

There's a lot to like in these moldings.  Normally, lightening holes on bulkheads are simply depressions but rarely molded as actual holes as Italeri has done here.

IMG-4971.jpg

There's traces of flash here and there but definition looks really good.

IMG-4972.jpg

Some of the molded detail appears to be on the heavy side, such as this engine cowling, but I can't say for certain without checking references.

IMG-4973.jpg

The same goes for the panel lines on the fuselage.  Primer + paint will tell a better story.

IMG-4974.jpg

Sprue D has a lot of the external components including the rear stabilizers, intakes, fairings, landing gear covers, etc.

IMG-4975.jpg

IMG-4976.jpg

The exhaust outlets are represented as individual pieces and they have hollowed ends.

IMG-4977.jpg

Nicely molded wiring detail on the engine.

IMG-4978.jpg

If you look closely at the lower nose fairing, you can see that every small scoop has a hollowed out opening... very impressive!

IMG-4979.jpg

IMG-4980.jpg

Alternative rear stabilizers?

IMG-4981.jpg

To be continued...

Sprue B is the other big sprue and it holds the wings.

IMG-4988.jpg

The rear wall of the wheel wells is supplied as a separate bulkhead/spar.  It looks like the landing gear attachment points are on the ends of the spars.  The attachment point is squared, which is a good indication for a positive, non-ambiguous fit.

IMG-4983.jpg

IMG-4984.jpg

IMG-4985.jpg

Here is the optional cover for the wheel wells.  This could've been handled a little better with some large ejector pin marks to be dealt with.

IMG-4987.jpg

No details molded onto the inner surface of the upper wings so those wanting to leave the wheel well cover off may want to spruce up this area?

IMG-4986.jpg

Sprue C is loaded with all of the small parts.

IMG-4989.jpg

IMG-4990.jpg

Another example of parts partially broken off their sprues. Hopefully, nothing is broken but Part 37 looks like it is on the verge of snapping.

IMG-4991.jpg

The engine area includes the fuselage-mounted 12.7mm Breda-Safat machine guns.

IMG-4992.jpg

Italeri has elected to supply us with weighted tires.  Note that the openings in the wheels are keyed so I am assuming that the correct alignment of the flat spots onto the ground has been built in.

IMG-4993.jpg

IMG-4994.jpg

To be continued...

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

John,  thank you for sharing these with us!

Cheers,  Tom

You're welcome, Tom!  I was just excited to receive this kit and wanted to share.  Hopefully, these pics are useful to those that are interested in this kit.

Here is the photoetch fret.  It was enclosed in a plastic sleeve that was open on one end, so it got loose and a few parts got bent out of shape.

IMG-4995.jpg

IMG-4997.jpg

Most of the tiny pieces are meant to detail the joints of the control surfaces.

IMG-4996.jpg

The clear sprue is very small due to the small size of the canopy and windscreen on the Folgore.

IMG-5000.jpg

IMG-5002.jpg

IMG-5001.jpg

And finally... here is a close-up look at the 3D instrument panel.

IMG-4998.jpg

IMG-4999.jpg

Thank you for your photos which will no doubt be very helpful to everyone expecting the new kit (although they’re vaguely familiar to me :P).

A few notes though: for some reason, part #4 on the 3D decal sheet is not as finely printed as the others and sticks out like a sore thumb on the IP.

It would benefit from a quick black wash to tone down the stark white printed details.

For once, I found the photoetch supplied with the kit adequate and useful. The brass used is of the right thickness and hardness and really adds to the details.

This may start a storm, but does anyone have an idea if the wheel well covers were used that often. I have read that they were fitted to number airframes, but they were removed by the ground crews due to difficulty in getting them in place. I am working on a 205 now and will be getting a 202 at some point. Just trying to prepare for a lot of work with hoses and wiring if the covers really weren’t used that much on either variant. I built a PCM 202 after its release and did it with a cover- not easy!! This new kit will solve this problem if they were used therefore. 

15 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

These sprue shots are quite impressive! Definite must have. 

I do hope that they not take so long as the Revell Hurricane to get to market in the U.S.

I got an email from Kitlinx the other day spruiking it's availability in two weeks.

https://www.kitlinx.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=ITA2518&title=Macchi-MC.202-Folgore-Fighter-(New-Tool)

Hope this helps,

Michael