Zoukei Mura Bf109G-14 /U4 - UnBoxing

Thunnus

This particular boxing comes with markings for just one aircraft... Erich Hartmann's G-14/U4.  Here is the decal sheet provided in the kit.
IMG_2989.jpg

An acknowledgement to Mr. Radu Brinzan on the decal sheet.  His involvement, not only on the decal sheet but in the overall design of this model kit, signifies Zoukei Mura's commitment to deliver an accurate rendition of the Bf109G-14/U4 into our eager hands!  Decals are printed by Cartograph of Italy so no aftermarket decals will be necessary unless you want to model a different aircraft.
IMG_2990.jpg

Interestingly, the decal sheet give you two sets of instruments for the IP, one grouped together in clusters and printed on a dark background and also individual instruments ala Airscale.
IMG_2991.jpg

Zoukei Mura thoughtfully includes a set of canopy masks printed pre-cut on green vinyl but I would caution modelers on using these as I have seen these types of masks lift off of curved surfaces after application.
IMG_2992.jpg

The instruction book is a 50+ page affair, which is a testament to the complexity of this kit.  It is beautifully printed in full color and features not only line drawings but photos of the actual model parts to clarify construction. Careful reading is recommended prior to and during the build!
IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

Color call-outs are of the numerical type and reference both Vallejo and Mr. Color paints.
IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

A look at the two options for the instrument panel...
IMG_2998.jpg

I was curious about the attachment of the landing gear legs and so I've highlighted the instructions.  I've got a bit of concern over how small the glue attachment area appears to be.  Might not be an issue but it would be prudent to keep an eye on this step. And also curious if it is possible to attach the legs out of sequence as it would be advantageous to not have the legs attached so early in the build.
IMG_2999.jpg

And finally, here is the color profile of single markings option.
IMG_3000.jpg

That concludes the unboxing of the new Zoukei Mura Bf 109G-14/U4 kit!  It looks to be a very high quality and incredibly complex and detailed build.

Thanks guys!  Please let me know if there any parts that you'd like me to get better photos of.  As far as the instrument panel is concerned, there is recently available option for consideration.  That is the Barracuda Studios Bf-109G Cockpit Stencils, Placards with Instrument Panel set.

32365%20Bf%20109G%20cockpit%20stencils%2

IMG-3014.jpg

My preference is to use a good set of decals for the instrument faces and those work best when the instrument faces on the panel are flat.  The Z-M options have either molded instrument details (above) or what look like convex faces per the clear part. The resin part also has the advantage of finer bezel rings.  Just a thought!

John,

Thank you for the thoughtful overview! I really like that options are available for different versions. I’d probably lean towards an aircraft not painted in RLM 74-75-76 and with a tall tailwheel; just a personal preference. Does the kit include seatbelts?

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks for the review, John. I have this kit in the stash also and I'm on the lookout for a good scheme and an interesting way to build it. No skins on one half? All hatches and covers and access panels open? I've built the Revell, Hasegawa and Eduard 1/32 109 kits, but I've never built a ZM kit of any type.  I'm trying to come up to speed before I commit to a scheme and start building. 

Great review, John.  I was particularly interested in your comments about the undercarriage both on this kit and the Ta-152 which I have on order.  Like you, I've wondered if it is possible to leave these parts off until it's painted.  This kit may well be my next project, assuming the etch and brass guns barrels arrive before I finish my present project.  Guess we'll find out then. :)

Cheers,

Michael

About the possible version with this box:

here in France, we also are very interested with this outstanding kit and we can discuss with Jean-Claude Mermet.
    I got the authorization from his side to let you know his first impress and first conclusion after he received the kit.

(694) 1/32 infos sur futur 109 G-14/U4 Zoukei Mura - Page 6 (forumactif.com)

"Conclusion: 
    As the cowlings 030, 040 and 050 (according to my nomenclature) are present among the parts, it is possible to assemble the following models, mentioning only the exterior look (For the interior, it's a different matter!) : 
    -- G-6 standard (Original canopy and 030 engine cowlings) without the "Compressed Air" hatch in section 5 of the fuselage on the right. 
    -- G-6/U4 (original canopy and 030 engine cowlings) without the "Erla" hatch of the G-6/U2 on the right. 
    -- G-6/U2 (original canopy and 040 engine cowlings) with additional "Erla" hatch on the right. 
    -- G-6MW50 (040 engine cowlings) without the "Compressed Air" hatch of MK 108. 
    -- G-6MW50/U4 (040 engine cowlings) with the "Compressed Air" hatch of the MK 108. 
    -- G-14 (040 engine cowlings) with "Erla" canopy and tall fin and rudder assembly. 
    -- G-14/U4 (040 engine cowlings) with "Erla" canopy and tall fin and rudder assembly. 
    -- G-6MW50 from Erla ( 050 engine cowlings) and large tailplane but without the MK 108's "Compressed Air" hatch..."

as you can see very promising,

Hope this helps

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/93815-z-ms-messerschmitt-bf-109g14u4/&do=findComment&comment=1355463

On 9/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, Thunnus said:

I was curious about the attachment of the landing gear legs and so I've highlighted the instructions.  I've got a bit of concern over how small the glue attachment area appears to be.  Might not be an issue but it would be prudent to keep an eye on this step. And also curious if it is possible to attach the legs out of sequence as it would be advantageous to not have the legs attached so early in the build.
IMG_2999.jpg

''At ZM, we pride ourselves at reproducing the intricate details of the Bf109 landing gear with complete authenticity.''

B2oU29v.jpg

Oups...

Alain

PS:fake quote from ZM!

9 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

''At ZM, we pride ourselves at reproducing the intricate details of the Bf109 landing gear with complete authenticity.''

B2oU29v.jpg

Oups...

Alain

PS:fake quote from ZM!

I think you'll find that's actually a Finnish field mod - those crazy Finns!