Zoukei Mura Bf109G-14 /U4 - UnBoxing

Thunnus

Just started building the engine , look'in good so far I'm really getting into this kit! A couple of questions concerning the instructions  though , if I'mlooking at this right , If you go strictly by the instructions you'll be building a WNF. From the references I have , they were the only ones to install the 30mm motorcannon  is this correct or am I completely off course , some one help me please!

The reason I'm asking stupid questions is , I'm planning to build an Erla version work number block 464xxx, with tall tail, short tailwheel, 040 engine cowls .Did any of the Erla builds have a 30mm installed? There is a 20mm included in the parts, though no reference in the instructions, along with the 20 mm breech cover I need someone with more knowledge than meon 109s [ wouldn't take much to know more than me]

Hi all, my first post here with my new username (had an account here in the past but have forgotten usernames etc). Anyway, while i'm still waiting my preorder to arrive, can some of you who have kit in your hands post a pic of erla canopies that comes with kit, straight from a side preferably so i can see the profile properly? Thanks in advance:)

Edited by ProfessionalAmateur
typos

Welcome back aboard sir! Did you get your kit in yet? can't get you any pics , but comparing the Erla Haube in the Z-M kit to the Revell offering , the Z-M looks to be a lot better and closer to any of the pics I can dig up . Understand though I'm no 109 expert , the rest of the kit definitely shows they did their research , I'm sure you'll enjoy!

23 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Welcome back aboard sir! Did you get your kit in yet? can't get you any pics , but comparing the Erla Haube in the Z-M kit to the Revell offering , the Z-M looks to be a lot better and closer to any of the pics I can dig up . Understand though I'm no 109 expert , the rest of the kit definitely shows they did their research , I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Thanks! No i'm still waiting my kit to arrive...hopefully soon'ish. I'm glad to hear it looks better than Revell one, as theirs is plain horrible to be honest.

7 hours ago, ProfessionalAmateur said:

Thanks! No i'm still waiting my kit to arrive...hopefully soon'ish. I'm glad to hear it looks better than Revell one, as theirs is plain horrible to be honest.

Yeah, the Revell kit was kind of a mixed bag for me and I'm no 109 expert far from it and even I could see the issues. This kit is magni  tudes better and I'm getting a first rate education from the people on here! I ask a lot of silly questions as you'll find out

• 4 weeks later...

Got my kit finally, been inspecting sprues and so far it seems like really well done kit (as others have said already). Only minor thing so far seems to be beules, that are little bit flat from sides, but i need to build it first to compare properly. IMG-20221012-164830.jpgIMG-20221012-164646.jpg

By the way, if anyone was wondering, Z-M's canopy seems to be pretty much perfect fit to good old hasegawa G6 kit:

IMG-20221012-151953.jpg

Looking  forward to built this beauty.

Edited by ProfessionalAmateur
typos

According to my reference (that I recently acquired), MOST Bf109G-14/U4's were built by WNF and came with the short (standard Bf109) tail (Wolowski, p. 18).  Notice it doesn't say "ALL".  The British captured a Bf109G-14/U4 with the werk number 413598 which (if the werk number and description are correct), was built by Erla (Wolowski p. 19) and would have had the 30mm cannon installed.  The image below is of this particular aircraft after it was remarked from the letter "P".  The below reference does not address the Bf109G-6 but does include the Bf109G-5/AS and -6/AS.

REFERENCE:

Wolowski, K. (2010). Bf109 late versions, camouflage and markings, Mushrooom Model Publications, UK. (pp. 18, 19, 29).

Asisbiz Messerschmitt Bf 109G14U4 Erla captured RAF EA 2 YD358 exLuftwaffe  WNr 413598 01

Edited by Juggernut

30 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

According to my reference (that I recently acquired), MOST Bf109G-14/U4's were built by WNF and came with the short (standard Bf109) tail (Wolowski, p. 18).  Notice it doesn't say "ALL".  The British captured a Bf109G-14/U4 with the werk number 413598 which (if the werk number and description are correct), was built by Erla (Wolowski p. 19) and would have had the 30mm cannon installed.  The image below is of this particular aircraft after it was remarked from the letter "P".  The below reference does not address the Bf109G-6 but does include the Bf109G-5/AS and -6/AS.

REFERENCE:

Wolowski, K. (2010). Bf109 late versions, camouflage and markings, Mushrooom Model Publications, UK. (pp. 18, 19, 29).

Asisbiz Messerschmitt Bf 109G14U4 Erla captured RAF EA 2 YD358 exLuftwaffe  WNr 413598 01

According to Jean-Claude Mermet, WNr's 413 400-413 800 were Erla built G-6/U2's (some of them were G-6/MW50). All my sources says G-14/U4's were only built by WNF.

Well, then we have conflicting source material.  That's the only reference i have regarding the G-14 other than just cursory mention in other books. To be totally candid, nobody short of someone who knows what they're looking at will be able to tell one from the other and outside of looking into the cockpit, neither would I. 

Edited by Juggernut

It's diiffcult to conclude for a G-14 with this picture,

can't see at the antenna Morane mast? (Fug 16ZY radio),

no Galland-Panzer armor? 

no protruding battery cover on the rear cockpit wall (due to the place needed for MW50 tank)

smaller front oil tank

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

Well, then we have conflicting source material.  That's the only reference i have regarding the G-14 other than just cursory mention in other books. To be totally candid, nobody short of someone who knows what they're looking at will be able to tell one from the other and outside of looking into the cockpit, neither would I. 

Yes, you're correct in that folks need to know what to look for. There is one obscure positive external clue, though, that points to the U4 option - the Mk 108 exhaust vent tube just to the rear of the last starboard exhaust stack:

aW6IQ7.png

Cheers,

Damian