Airfix' next large scale model?

Nigels modelling bench

Here in the UK the Hornby series is running on Yesterday TV channel.

On a program I saw last night the designers were looking at the new Mustang easy build car and rolled it along the floor. The camera followed the car as it rolled into a Tamiya 1/48 P-38G box. 

I may be reading too much into it here, but why would they have a Tamiya kit in the designers office and why would they let the cameras see it? 

Are we going to get a 1/24 P-38?

Nige

Last week they were sat at the desks building the Quick Build Spitfire and on both the guys desks there were other brands of Models. I saw an Eduard Tempest and I think on the other desk was one of the Arma Kits boxes. I wouldn’t read too much in to it. They obviously aren’t taking notes on other brands either as they still keep turning out kits with surface features I could park and lose my car in. I looked at one of the new Vampire kits the other day and was half expecting to see an X-Wing being chased by 3 TIE Fighters down one of the wing panel lines it was that deep it could have doubled for the Death Star Trench run.

29 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Last week they were sat at the desks building the Quick Build Spitfire and on both the guys desks there were other brands of Models. I saw an Eduard Tempest and I think on the other desk was one of the Arma Kits boxes. I wouldn’t read too much in to it.

Thanks for the heads up Ade,

I have only seen one video of the series, where they were redoing the HS125 train. I find Airfix to be a little odd in their manufacturing. As you say, huge panel lines, soft plastic and sink marks everywhere. They are fully aware of the issues but don't seem bothered as they keep on doing it. I read that apparently modellers complained about the plastic used in the 1/72 Victor as it was moulded in the UK so was harder and had no sink marks?????

I thought 90% of modellers complained about blue Tak plastic and sink marks??

Nige

With one exception (the Harrier), Airfix‘ 1/24 kits have been well-known WW2 aircraft. The German ones have been done, most of the British ones too. The two US aircraft (P-51D and F6F) were types that were also used in the UK. My guesses would be

Grumman F4F Wildcat/Martlet

Hawker Tempest Mk. II

Vought F4U Corsair

Been catching up on the episodes now, and find this little more than a promotion of Hornby trains and the model railway hobby with the other brands thrown in as alibi to attract scale modellers, collectors of die-casts and slot-car fans to view it.  The latter must surely have given up hope of seeing any of the stuff they're interested in, and so far two of the four Airfix themes are being designed for children to play with, a third (the P-51) being a prop for wargaming (i.e. playing with), only the decent build of the Mosquito portrays it as something to be displayed.  I really think this series doesn't show Airfix customers in a very serious light.  And somehow they are turning every railway sleeper in the country to find railway modellers playing with their trains...  If they could get a really good modeller to build the 1:24 Typhoon or Hellcat from start to finish - say five or ten minutes snips per episode, throwing in some helpful practical tips along the way, and then finally showcasing the finished product, it really would show people what you can do with an Airfix kit.  And show them the time and dedication it takes to build a high quality model.  That would raise the esteem of scale modellers as well as people's perception of builders of Airfix kits in my opinion.

Given how left-field the Hellcat seemed to me (particularly coming in 1) the RAF's centennial year and b) the centenary of the end of the Great War), a P-38 wouldn't surprise me at this stage.

3 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Vought F4U Corsair

I would be totally on board for this. I don't do 1/24 but if they did this....or a P-40E-N...I'd consider it.

Edited by KiwiZac

31 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

The next 1/24 will be the F6f-3 variant.

If you're right, it seems they're taking their time bringing to market.  I won't be buying it as I have their F6f-5 and don't have the space for another - the same reason I don't have the bubble canopy Typhoon.  I enjoyed building their car door version, though, so I'm looking forward to building the Hellcat.  Hopefully I don't have the same short shot issues that Chuck is having.

If Airfix did a Wildcat or Kittyhawk E to N, I would be very tempted indeed.  Corsair doesn't interest me as I have two of Tamiya's excellent offerings in a more space friendly 1/32 scale.  An Airfix P-38 would also be tempting, if massive, as there isn't a good P-38 out there right now.  Ditto a Beaufighter.  I'd also like to see their take on a Tempest II.  Out in left field is the possibility of a 1/24 Macchi C202/205 - again another famous subject not offered in detailed injection molded LSP.

But it's all wishful thinking.  Let's see what, or if, Airfix do actually come up with.  Manufacturers do what they do, and we wish for what we'd like, and it seems never the twain will meet.

Cheers,

Michael

As an Englishman there will always be a warm nostalgic place in my heart for Airfix (and Matchbox for that matter) - they are what I grew up with in the late 70s when every corner shop in every sleepy little village had kits for sale.

Now, putting down those English rose-tinted spectacles...

Airfix is very much a joke in other modelling groups I am a member of, and deservedly so. With the exception of their 3 modern 1/24 kits there is nothing in their aircraft catalogue that is worthy of consideration; and even then I have seen quite a few builds of the Typhoon and the Hellcat which show enough to put me off starting my Tiffie.

In their 1/72 and 1/48 kits, their engineering looks like it is a generation behind - I love the Star Wars trench run analogy! - and their quality control is legendary for all the wrong reasons.

The only cause for optimism I can see is in armour, and shown in their new 1/35 Cromwell - I am a keen armour modeller and by all accounts (experts on Missing-Lynx), this is a pretty decent kit.

Despite all their problems they still have an ultra-loyal following here which i find a mixture of annoying and sad to be honest - they can't all be people of my generation (born '72), so there must still be lots who just don't know any better, brainwashed by the Florys of this world, and those who no doubt chant "gloss before decals" lol.

The F6F-3 seems most likely next 1/24 release to me, and provided the kit didn't have more Flash than Gordon (see what I did there, or am i just showing my age again?) I might consider it.

But unless they completely change their modus operandi and up their game, I just don't see AIrfix in my aircraft modelling future (small 'f') in any way, beyond being the butt of Star Wars jokes, and t-shirts at modelling shows ("Airfux").

Nick

Edited by nmayhew

Like you Nick, I cut my teeth on Airfix and Matchbox kits brought from the local Newsagents with Birthday money and the like, Airfix is a bit like the NHS, you cant speak ill of it for fear of being ‘cancelled’. I bought the 1/24 Typhoon when it was released, sold it on soon after, so many moulding lines to remove I just couldn’t be bothered. Also got the Hellcat expecting better but after watching the first few builds and looking over my kit, that got sold on too. I looked at the Vampire out of curiosity and well, you know my opinion on that one. Wont be buying anything from their line, even if they do re-jig their 1/24 Spitfires and Hurricanes and the others. 

IF Airfix were to do another 1/24 kit, I would have thought an obvious candidate and potential best seller would be the Hawker Sea Fury.

A 1/24 P-38 however would be huge and where do you display models of that size; hence why most large scale models simply get stared at and looked over on occasion and then reverently placed back on the shelf or into the loft with a promise to self that "I will build that kit one day....in this life or the next."

Gary