B52 vs Vulcan

Never heard of the Vulcan howl until I watched this video recently. Still haven't found a better one of this sound that someone in the comments qualified as the opening of the gates of Hell! Maybe not the best film quality, but the cinematographer made me chuckle when he was panning the camera and presumed the Vulcan would take-off following the same trajectory as the preceding B-52!

This is not meant to criticize the B-52 in anyway! Still going strong today, sadly not so much for the Vulcan...

Enjoy!

Alain

I remember that howl well.  As a five year old in 1960 living less than five miles from Filton, we'd get these flying over regularly.  They made a very big impression on this little boy.  Everything stopped as you watched them go over with that unique and incredible howl. :)

Cheers,

Michael

10 minutes ago, jenshb said:

What was the name of that rather large fire demon in Lord of the Rings?  Can imagine the sound technicians going "That's what it should sound like!"

A Balrog......

Legendary demon of the ancient world.

Sort of like when an 80s kid sees this picture..........most can hear exactly what the picture sounds like! :lol:

369862_0.jpg

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

BTW, does the new tool Airfix Vulcan have seamless intakes?

No.  However, there are intake covers if you want to hide the insides.  The intakes start at step 46 of the instructions.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/9/3/1249993-61-instructions.pdf