Wingnut Wings Lancaster to be released by Border Model

LSP_Kevin

I personally don't think Border models will have any problem selling 5000+ of the Ex-WnW lancs worldwide There are more than enough people out there who will buy one or even two of the kit. Most of those folks aren't on any modeling forums and if they want it- they will buy it.

Just got this from my local hobby shop Wonderland Models here in Edinburgh. If this is right I sadly won't be buying one. :crying:

I have just had word from the supplier for Border Models in the UK about the 1/32 Lancaster. The UK RRP has not been confirmed just yet, but they are expecting it to be £699.99. :o

Graham

On 9/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, Dave Williams said:

Not sure I understand the bit about them being limited due to “production troubles and mold maintenance issues”.  Production troubles could be COVID related, but that doesn’t seem to be making much of a dent currently in new kits being released, so not sure what that’s about.  Mold maintenance issues sounds ominous.

Hi Dave,

Remembering your comment, I got curious about mold maintenance and storage. What’s required? What can go wrong? How much can it cost? A lot, a lot, and a lot.

Topworks Plastic Mold Co, LTD, is a Chinese IM producer, and their website provides a lot of information on all aspects of injection molding. Knowing little, I found it quite eye-opening.

This page goes into great detail about the maintenance and storage practices required,  from the nature of the storage spaces to the different levels of preservative application required for varying timeframes, and what repair of the molds can entail. Long-term storage of the molds, defined as a few months to a few years, requires more preservatives, which are more difficult to remove from the molds. Removal can cause damage, whether the proper cleaning protocols are observed or not. Any damage, ranging from rust corrosion to deformation to delamination to cracking, requires repair before the molds can be made productive again, and doing it right gets expensive.

This page provides a breakdown of which aspects of production are the responsibilities of the molder and which are the responsibility of the consumer. Worth noting is that the cost of storing and maintaining molds which aren’t being used gets passed onto the consumer (model company) after a while. Otherwise, the

molder usually assumes those responsibilities. This would seem to have implications for every kit mold that was cut for WNW, by all of their tool makers. Were all of those molds properly maintained and stored after the production runs ended, and after WNW closed shop? If not all, how many? Any of them?  It’d be great if some of the WNW line could be re-popped, but it may not be possible with the extant molds, if they’ve deteriorated during storage or after the storage fees stopped being paid. (Assuming that they were paid in the first place, of course, which may not have been the case.) 

My takeaway? If you want the Border Lanc, best to buy it now, because there’s no guarantee that the existing molds will be productive or usable after the initial run. The limited release Border has announced may be all that they  can reasonably promise. 

Adam

Edited by adameliclem

1 hour ago, dutik said:

I'll give this a pass, but I'd be happy to see this as an indicator for the re-release of the other WNW kits B)

Me? I am an old fashioned guy, meanwhile saving my money for a WWI railway gun... :whistle:

Regards

- dutik

Damn! That railway gun looks nice! Good thing I am no into WWI AFV's! (He says knowing he has a 1/16 Mk. IV Male in the pile somewhere).

48 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Damn! That railway gun looks nice! Good thing I am no into WWI AFV's! (He says knowing he has a 1/16 Mk. IV Male in the pile somewhere).

1/16 Mk. IV Male....?

Ears perked up, where does one find this at?

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

It does look great, but I'm like you, for the most part WWI armor does little for me. Now if it were a K5(E) or 85cm Dora,...

ah Francois Verlinden - It was honestly his dioramas featured in the Tamiya Catalogues each year in the 1980´s that really got me into more dedicated modelling. 

I still have the issue with his version of the 1/32 Tomcat - I must have spent hours looking at that - fond memories.. 

51 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

ah Francois Verlinden - It was honestly his dioramas featured in the Tamiya Catalogues each year in the 1980´s that really got me into more dedicated modelling. 

I still have the issue with his version of the 1/32 Tomcat - I must have spent hours looking at that - fond memories.. 

Yup, same. I also had many of his book. I likely still do somewhere in a box