Infinity Models Aichi D3A Val

Jan_G

4 hours ago, RadBaron said:

Awe man, that middle scheme is way too cool to not have a go of!!

I’m not an expert on these markings, but from what little I know, the middle scheme on the Pearl Harbor sheet is correct, as far as is known. I think it was based on testimony rather than photos. It also appears on page 43 of “Aichi 99 Kanbaku  ‘Val’ Units 1937-42”, by Osamu Tagaya. In the book, it is depicted with the single Soryu blue fuselage stripe— which I suspect it had.
From what I can tell, none of the  depicted Coral Sea Val’s were at the battle of Coral Sea. Both the first and second appear in the same book. The first, B1-263, is said to be on Soryu at Staring Bay, Celebes, March 1942. The second one, 35-201 is shown in a photo in flight and said to be based at Makassar, on Celebes in mid-1942.

The third Val, AI-208, was also not at Coral Sea, as it was marked for the carrier Akagi. More likely it was a Midway scheme, where Akagi appeared and was sunk. I also have a question about the fuselage national insignia on that one.

1 hour ago, Bill M. said:

The third Val, AI-208, was also not at Coral Sea, as it was marked for the carrier Akagi. More likely it was a Midway scheme, where Akagi appeared and was sunk. I also have a question about the fuselage national insignia on that one.

If you read the notes on the sheet, the third scheme is noted as being a Midway scheme.

based on Heinz post over on britmodeller HPH will not continue with Infinity brand and Val is the last IM project. Hopefully somebody will take over the Kate project.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071718-132-aichi-d3a-val-by-infinity-models/page/2/#comments

QUOTE:

Got a message today from Jiri and he told me that he will not continue with Infinity Models.

The Kate is about 50% ready and the project is for sale.

All the other IM projects are cancelled.

32 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

based on Heinz post over on britmodeller HPH will not continue with Infinity brand and Val is the last IM project. Hopefully somebody will take over the Kate project.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071718-132-aichi-d3a-val-by-infinity-models/page/2/#comments

QUOTE:

Got a message today from Jiri and he told me that he will not continue with Infinity Models.

While I appreciate that it's not my business and not my money, I don't think they've been in the ring long enough to throw in the towel yet, and I personally think this is a strange and short-sighted decision. The Val is the first of their subjects that I've really had any interest in, but seems overpriced based on what I've seen so far. I was wavering on my original intention to purchase one based on this, but with this news, I guess I'll get one anyway. Hey - maybe that's their strategy!

Kev

6 hours ago, Jan_G said:

QUOTE:

giphy.gif

On 6/13/2023 at 12:38 AM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Here's what I found, Shokaku EI ,Zuikaku EII, Soryu BI, Hiryu BII, Akagi AI, Kaga AII.[so far]

Correct, but note that the current consensus is that Soryu & Hiryu exchanged tail codes when Adm. Yamaguchi transferred his flag to Hiryu shortly before Midway. 

3 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

Correct, but note that the current consensus is that Soryu & Hiryu exchanged tail codes when Adm. Yamaguchi transferred his flag to Hiryu shortly before Midway. 

Ah the plot thickens. I like to see some definitive proof of that consensus, I'm not saying it's a wrong consensus. I just like to see it proved out. It's not unusual when dealing with ww2 Japanese  stuff and there's always [it seems]  new info coming forth, hell I'm open to it. If true it sure makes trying to trace things out all the more confusing, like I've said before ,it's like trying to nail Jello to the wall sometimes.

The 4th Carrier Division tail code was D, as the second carrier assigned Shoho's tail code was DII-.  It's my understanding that CVL's did not operate Val's because their elevators were too small. 

Edited by coogrfan

20 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

The 4th Carrier Division tail code was D, as the second carrier assigned Shoho's tail code was DII-.  It's my understanding that CVL's did not operate Val's because their elevators were too small. 

Well, that explains a lot for me , I kind of wondered about Vals on light carriers . Between all of us here ,we'll get it sorted out I think. Thank you for the info! Some of the captions are a little confusing still trying to sort it out in my head[ now there's an undertaking for ya!]

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

While I appreciate that it's not my business and not my money, I don't think they've been in the ring long enough to throw in the towel yet, and I personally think this is a strange and short-sighted decision. The Val is the first of their subjects that I've really had any interest in, but seems overpriced based on what I've seen so far. I was wavering on my original intention to purchase one based on this, but with this news, I guess I'll get one anyway. Hey - maybe that's their strategy!

Kev

Well, you have a good opportunity to show them how to run this business since the Kate project along with the remaining IM assets will apparently be available for purchase...

6 minutes ago, barkhorn said:

Well, you have a good opportunity to show them how to run this business since the Kate project along with the remaining IM assets will apparently be available for purchase...

It seems I've touched a nerve with my comments. They weren't intended to be dismissive of HpH/Infinity Models and their efforts, merely an observation from my particular perspective.

Over and out.

Kev

14 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

HI Kev, I don’t think you have touched a nerve here necessarily. HpH’s bread and butter business is making real sailplanes in 1:1. I suspect this might have been a diversification exercise for them and I suspect they may have found the effort and investment required to produce accurate injection molded miniatures is very high compared to that producing a far more profitable HpH 304S Shark  or Twin Shark sailplane. Of course that is speculative on my part but based on some educated guesses about how their business may work.

Kind regards,

Paul