Infinity Models Aichi D3A Val

Jan_G

I haven't got anything off the sprues yet , all in all it does look pretty good. They gave us the prop sinner which is cool so we can build a late production D3Y1 as they were sometimes equipped with the spinners. Wish they would've included the later style of engine cowl[ for the D3Y2] Oh well shouldn't complain.

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

In the past few days I have cut some plastic of my kit, and I'm positively impressed. It's propably no shake and bake kit. As with many kits, the wing root apparently needs some special attention. And there is a slight gape at the tail fin area. But besides that, fit seems to be pretty nice. And I like the surface detail, especially on the fuselage:

cVH2zVD.jpg

EzGx9FK.jpg

gBRCuMQ.jpg

mYWf830.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Question: did you use the wing spar when you were taping this together? 

1 hour ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

I haven't got anything off the sprues yet , all in all it does look pretty good. They gave us the prop sinner which is cool so we can build a late production D3Y1 as they were sometimes equipped with the spinners. Wish they would've included the later style of engine cowl[ for the D3Y2] Oh well shouldn't complain.

I am not fully in-lightened but did a quick search the D3Y2, has a different wing does it not? Fuselage lengthened as well. Willing to learn or to be shown a cowling variation?

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

...the D3Y2, has a different wing does it not? Fuselage lengthened as well.

Different wing. Different fuselage. Different engine & cowl. Different canopy. Different rudder. So on and so forth. 

Enough differences to need entirely different kits to build either a D3A1 or D3A2.

From THIS SITE:

dLP72JB.jpg

HTH,

D

Edited by D Bellis
Typo fix.

42 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

Different wing. Different fuselage. Different engine & cowl. Different canopy. Different rudder. So on and so forth. 

Enough differences to need entirely different kits to build either a D3A1 or D3A2.

From THIS SITE:

dLP72JB.jpg

HTH,

D

All very true! I got ahead of myself on that one ,should've known better!

On 5/31/2023 at 3:16 PM, D Bellis said:

From THIS SITE:

dLP72JB.jpg

HTH,

D

Well I started digging into this and the only site that I could find that gave a side by side comparison is World War II data base. According to them the wing span ,length, height, and wing area are the same between the A1 and A2. It seems the differences are the engine [more powerful] the cowling , a more elongated canopy [ for streamlining purposes] and a slightly bigger rudder being taller[ makes sense with the horsepower increase]. Now if this is true then the aftermarket industry should be more than capable in coming up with a conversion. I have to admit the hard data on this aircraft is a bit sparse, at least what I could find . If anybody has some other data I would be all ears and eyes and will gladly take it all in. Oh and they also said that the horizontal stab was reduced in size , whether in span or chord they didn't say. Interesting fact that I didn't know is they built more A2s than A1s.Again this is data that I could find , I don't know how factual it is. I always thought the A2  was bigger.:unsure:

I love the skin stressing on this kit! Looks great! I can't wait for the Kate now!!

Like others on here I too was scratching my head on the interior cockpit colour?

After some research I'm really still none the wiser but I agree that a darkish green seems to be a fair bet on this aircraft.

I'll go with that with some lighter areas in the front to show some wear and tear.

Either way this kit has so much potential!!

Well done to Infinity!! :clap2: