1/32 Hasegawa Bf109K-4 Weisse 8

Thunnus

Thanks for the comments guys!  Your input is always greatly appreciated!

The photoetch wheel wells are done!
IMG-5968.jpg

These are going to get painted in natural metal before the wing halves are glued together.  But first, I'm going to add a couple of ports on the wing bottom per the drawings of the K-4 that I am using for reference.  They have been scribed using a needle and metal template.
IMG-5972.jpg
IMG-5974.jpg

The wheel wells are painted Alclad Dark Aluminum over a base of Tamiya Black.
IMG-5979.jpg
IMG-5980.jpg
IMG-5981.jpg

I FINALLY got around to painting the resin sidewalls for the cockpit.  Not much color references for the K-4 cockpit so I had to improvise.  The white labels on the electrical panel are from the MDC K-4 cockpit decal set that Vincent kindly donated to me.  Thanks Vincent!
IMG-5978.jpg

That means the cockpit cockpit painting is just about finished.  Here are the main cockpit parts painted and ready to assemble.
IMG-5975.jpg
IMG-5976.jpg

The cockpit is absolutely amazing, even if it’s a resin set which gives you more detail, it still needs to be painted.

The wheel wells are also pretty special, I don’t think I would have the patience or dexterity to cope which that much PE.

John

Thanks for the comments guys!  I'm really starting to roll on this build and I feel good that I'll be able to continue the momentum for the time being.

I riveted the fuselage.  I didn't carry the rivets all the way to the joint and will finish that after the joints have been cleaned up.
IMG-5982.jpg

After riveting, the fuselage halves are glued together.  The cockpit will slide in from the opening in the bottom so it doesn't need to be attached at this point.
IMG-5991.jpg
IMG-5990.jpg

To kill some time while the fuselage glue dries, I assembled the landing gear doors.
IMG-5992.jpg
IMG-5993.jpg
IMG-5995.jpg

I'm going to take some time and clean up the fuselage joints before I insert the cockpit.  Lots of dust and plastic shavings will ensue so this will keep the cockpit free of debris.
IMG-5997.jpg

The joint between the cockpit and the tail (top and bottom) is filled in with black CA glue.  I'll need to rescribe the panel line here so the CA glue will give me a hard, scribable surface.
IMG-5998.jpg

I can now fill the void behind the tail wheel.  Most K-4's had this door permanently closed so I'll fill it in with plastic and rescribe the door panels.
IMG-5996.jpg

I used two strips of thick styrene sheet fused together with Tamiya Extra Thin glue as a solid block to fill the hole.
IMG-6000.jpg

After a few hours of shaving and sanding, I have contoured the plastic block to match the fuselage.  The joints need to be cleaned up but at least I got the tedious shaping work done.
IMG-6003.jpg
IMG-6004.jpg

That's all for now!

Nice work, John!  Love those LG covers.  You really make me want to dive into my big scale 109's.

A few weeks ago I was at my monthly club meet.  We were talking 109's and I told the guys there that my most hated part of building 109's was rescribing the upper and lower center lines from cockpit to tail because I could never keep them straight.  They told me what they did was to use sand paper with a block behind it, and give each side a couple swipes at an angle before gluing the fuselage halves together, then test fit then repeat if necessary until it looked right.   So, on my next 109 build I tried it.  The result was instant, and straight seam.   I used a little card on the inside of the fuselage to bolster the joint a bit...just in case.

I wish I had known years ago!  I feel like I should tell the world.  I'm going to use it on a lot more than 109's, that's for sure.

Gaz