Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I think you're missing the much bigger picture here. It's not at all about what any visitors may see or know, it's more about what a modeler has a right to expect when he lays down two or three hundred dollars for a new kit, regardless of whether or not that kit existed before. For those that are content with a massive blob of plastic that sort of looks like a huge radial engine, great, I just don't happen to be one of those people.

Dead on!   I don’t build to impress my wife or kids who have no idea (and assuredly don’t  care) what a B-24 (or any of my other subjects) looks like.   I build to create the most accurate represention of my subject possible, limited only by my budget and my skills.  If, at the end of the project, there are crap details, I could care less if visitors will never notice them. I will.  

If others can ignore crappy details and build a model that makes them happy, that’s great.  At the end of the day, that’s all that matters.  

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

It's gigantic.  Something like a 41" and change wingspan!   

28" long....it's sort of "museum size" as most people probably don't have the kind of space needed to display this in a home.

I wonder if WNW’s approach (offering just the forward fuselage) is the way to go vrs ginormous full kits that most folks simply don’t have room to display (or possibly simply can’t afford)?   

Thanks for sharing that YouTube video TAG.  Man that is a massive kit for sure.  The engines were better that I had originally thought.  At least they have push rods on the cylinders.  An ignition harness in PE.  Looking forward to seeing someone taking on this beast.  

Hours of enjoyment coming to someones house soon.   As a kid I wouldn’t died to see this one up on my ceiling hanging up.  Too cool.  

Just now, Mikester said:

Overall for what you get seems like a pretty decent kit, not perfect by any means but I'm sure the A/M guys will step and provide a butt-load of correction sets.

I'd say that's my assessment, and  probably very likely on the AM front.

Well that's not as bad as I expected honestly. It doesn't appear to be dead on by any means, but personally I'm now moving on to see about what to do about those engines and turrets. 

Are all the front/rear turrets always painted in the same manor? IE, are any of those alignment pins covered by frosted plastic (paint on the real deal)?

14 minutes ago, juvatwad said:

Shots with the flap on and the best I could get of the airfoil.....

VsyfTRj.jpg

dnn3iXO.jpg

kOzP6v9.jpg

Well that certainly doesn't look even slightly like a Davis wing (or a B24).

For those of you who think "it looks enough like B24 to me"  here are few more pictures of B24s you might enjoy:

31-2a.jpg

consolidated-b32-dominator.jpg

Boghosian_14seagulls14_MET.jpg

;-)

Joe

11 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Symmetrical airfoil top and bottom?  Pretty sure wings don’t work that way.

Yes, the B-24 was renowned for its ability to fly inverted!  

How could they have screwed up something so basic?   

3 hours ago, Sanderman said:

Well that certainly doesn't look even slightly like a Davis wing (or a B24).

For those of you who think "it looks enough like B24 to me"  here are few more pictures of B24s you might enjoy:

31-2a.jpg

consolidated-b32-dominator.jpg

Boghosian_14seagulls14_MET.jpg

;-)

Joe

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.............:rofl:

I really love that grey and white scheme but that tail is waaaaaaaay off!

:lol:

Edited by PhilB