Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

6 hours ago, Sanderman said:

Well that certainly doesn't look even slightly like a Davis wing (or a B24).

For those of you who think "it looks enough like B24 to me"  here are few more pictures of B24s you might enjoy:

31-2a.jpg

consolidated-b32-dominator.jpg

Boghosian_14seagulls14_MET.jpg

;-)

Joe

Nice Fish Eagle in the last pic. 

that aerofoil is definitely wrong but it wont stop me getting one, putting a spar in the trailing 3rd of the section and clamping the skins to it COULD get rid of the convex are on the rear top quarter that shouldn't be there...

anyway it wont stop me doing the kit and I might not even fix that issue..

my take on it is this, for better or worse, its a kit of a B24 that couldn't be mistaken for anything else, even by the worst rivet counter. up till last week , it didn't exist so those that want a perfect one that is correct in every way basically just need to behave as if it still DOESNT EXIST and they will be absolutely no better or worse off other than they were last week and will  have more time to build other perfect kits because they aren't complaining about this one,...

Meanwhile the rest of us can build it ..

Well this is the Monogram 1/48 scale B-24 fuselage and you can see the wing profile. Nothing more than a comparison and take what you will from it.

Monogram_B-24J_3161.jpg

It will take a lot of work to change the Hobby Boss wing to match the Davis profile. Will I buy one, hell yea, it's a 1/32 scale B-24!

Edited by Maxim

11 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Just rummaged through my kit.  It is quite impressive!  I see lots of potential for the aftermarket.  

Not too keen on the plastic LG struts.  Love to see Ernie G put out a set of big brass ones for this one.  

I am hoping Eduard might chime in here but i doubt it.

There brass gear is slightly ahead in my book - cleaner detail, and comes ready to use (at least it did on their Spit IX).

The win here would be if they also made wheels to go with their own landing gear...

2 hours ago, Markjames1968 said:

that aerofoil is definitely wrong but it wont stop me getting one

Im no rivet counter, but Im also very keen on getting shapes right. The wing is definitely off, but this one falls somewhere in the middle of all that for me................would I attempt a fix if it was easier? Probably. Will I attempt to fix this one? Probably not. Will I still build the kit? Definitely.    

Im now more thinking about what to do about the turrets and engines.

1 hour ago, Maxim said:

Well this is the Monogram 1/48 scale B-24 fuselage and you can see the wing profile. Nothing more than a comparison and take what you will from it.

Monogram_B-24J_3161.jpg

It will take a lot of work to change the Hobby Boss wing to match the Davis profile. Will I buy one, hell yea, it's a 1/32 scale B-24!

+1. The Hasegawa wing joint is similar to the Monogram (had a look today, might put up a comparison photo.)

This link has a clear photo:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/gec-military/SVGjqeZLsD4

It’s quite a distinctive shape. Doesn’t look fixable. Oh well.

But overall the kit looks OK. It’s huge that’s for sure. The box is massive. That we can agree on.

Edited by Pup7309

I cannot wait till I will get my copy :)

Hopefully Eduard will do the same treatment for it as for B-17 (PEs, brassin engines, wheels + turrets)

It looks that MBK in Germany has them in stock so it should appear at my LHS soon :D

jan

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

.....and it's a 1/32 B-24

nuff said

9 minutes ago, Stormer said:

Libby.... you had me at Hello!

7 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

Hopefully Eduard will do the same treatment for it as for B-17 (PEs, brassin engines, wheels + turrets)

It looks that MBK in Germany has them in stock so it should appear at my LHS soon :D

jan

On the "just build it" side of the house I agree with all of the above.

Still...........................the semi-rivet counter in me, is still quite disappointed that such a major and distinctive feature was messed up.   It wont stop me from building it, but it will always be there in my mind unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

jan

Yes Jan, and they were EUR 139 I think last time I looked. What a bargain.

16 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

jan

I guess they will. Eduard and HB seem to be quite "tight" with each other. I expect a huge BigEd kit for this soon.