Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J - Initial Observations

acresearcher

The fact the there are molded gear legs on the sprues indicates that the kit was always supposed to come with plastic gear.  That isn’t something that gets thrown into the middle of a completed mold at the last minute.  The question is whether the kit was also supposed to come with metal gear as an option, as many Trumpeter kits do.  Could have been a QC issue in not also throwing the metal gear in the box, or it may have been a conscious decision on Trumpeters part to keep costs down.  Does any of the pre release advertising indicate that the kit will come with metal gear?

FWIW, I have sent pdf files of the LG instructions to Alistair over at Aerocraft Models and prodded him to produce the brass gear for this monster.  To my eye, the outline and shape of the kit plastic gear looks good compared to internet images of the real thing. Most of the gear details will be fine with the kit plastic and maybe some PE in this area.

I've got my instruction book sitting right here in front of my now at work.  Anyone else notice the artwork image on the instructions?  They show the front turret without the glass, like all metal construction and the rear looks like a Star Wars Storm Troopers helmet with glass just where the eyes would be.

Edited by ScottsGT

Hmm. Yes I think the left and right hand at HB were not co-ordinating. Oversights happen at big companies that are driven by concerns other than perfecting the end product. Which is unfortunate for people who actually care about that. Hasegawa did their kit a least 10 years ago. Surely they could have made a 1/32 version just as good? Anyway they didn’t.

For the people who collect and look for perfection, bad luck. For the people who have the time to scratch build and the like, good luck. For the rest who don’t feel they’re up to polishing turrets etc, it’s an AM spend.

If anyone is game enough to take on the wing root or any other aspect of the kit please can you put some images online? Thanks! look forward to the kit reviews.

Edited by Pup7309

2 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

I've been 3d printing a load, I'll try and post some pics, although I have our workshop Christmas do tonight, and the Wiltshire group tomorrow!! I needed them for the Swordfish Mk III, but they'll do for lots of things!

45302161_1870729029712967_61499764271952

45296925_1870728969712973_49213406664091

Tim

Good grief! I've been wondering how to do these, I have an Avenger I intend to do as an FAA machine that's crying out for them, and the B-24D when it's out.

I'm definitely interested.

Aerocraft - never heard of them.

would they take the plunge where they haven’t ‘played’ before?

frosted turrets - now that is worrying because I don’t see how it’s possible to polish the frost away and keep any frame / ribbing etc; at best it’s going to end up looking like a vac piece and they normally look pretty crappy to me (a handful of exceptions come to mind but they are literally that - just a handful).

i have one coming my way in a few days and don’t really know whether to go straight to Hobbyboss customer service (because I doubt there is any) or just sit on it and pray someone does a proper clear resin replacement.

51 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Aerocraft - never heard of them.

would they take the plunge where they haven’t ‘played’ before?

27 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Aerocraft has in fact ‘played’ with metal gear before.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/category/1-32nd

Indeed. Ali makes a set of MUCH needed OV-10 brass gear. They are extremely high quality.

I was very enthusiastic about this kit. But for now I’ll wait for the ‘solutions to the problems’. (Hopefully they won’t cost too much.)

Ive had a Hasegawa 1/72 B24 sitting in the cupboard with etch for ages. Might pull out the magnifying glass and have a go at it, while I wait. No buffing clear parts, fretting about wing-roots or replacing engines on this micro bomber (that I can see...)

Edited by Pup7309