1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

afternoon ladies :)

On 3/9/2020 at 8:04 AM, Starfighter said:

Beau-ti-ful! The dry transfers are a big improvement. The end is near! :) 

Thanks Ben - the end is surprisingly near as will be seen :)

On 3/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, flarpen said:

Absolutely fantastic. I'm lost for words to describe this.

I'm wondering, where did you get the dry transfers from?

Hi there - I got them from 4D Modelshop - I provided my own artwork, if you need that too it would be even more expensive  :)

..so with a few days off, it seems like I have powered through a lot of the 'to do' list..

...the main job was getting the model on it's undercarriage and getting the gear doors on - I made up the big links the hold them on and spent ages getting it all to line up - hopefully the sit is right..

WIP1180_zpstgbglfnh.jpg

WIP1188_zpsnixcszcs.jpg

..also the tailwheel & doors were added with the retraction links and the aerial loop on the rear fuselage..

WIP1182_zpsjqhixbqb.jpg

..then the prop and flaps..

WIP1184_zpsfxmnkdex.jpg

..and it's ready for a quick walk around - the canopy parts are not fitted so are just resting (badly..)...

WIP1181_zpsll8v7o8f.jpg

WIP1178_zps6uyysusb.jpg

WIP1183_zps1sefqrvi.jpg

WIP1186_zpsdxstoijj.jpg

WIP1185_zpsbpje73ef.jpg

WIP1189_zpsmei2tkvb.jpg

WIP1187_zps3axccpzh.jpg

WIP1190_zpshcio7ycu.jpg

..any comments on the 'sit' or any of the details if they look off, please don't be shy - say something here. I am aware the P51 is so iconic that it must look bang on to pull it off..

..I still have to make the elevators, sort the other aerial and make the wing drop tanks (plus light weathering) so still some to go

TTFN

Peter

Oh my gosh - I wonder if this P-51 model is the new world wide standard for modelling accuracy.  The pictures literally look like the real thing.  Which is what we strive for.  Congratulations.  I'd like to see a side view (not oblique) from ground level in which to further assess the "sit" of the undercarraige.  Can you provide?    At this point, other than the superlatives, I suspect the main gear doors are a tad too far from the gear legs.  At least to my eye based on the pics you have provided.  I say this only because I have studied untold pictures of wartime Mustangs, and today's warbird projects and that is what I see.  The doors are a little closer to the tires.  I am pretty certain you have inspected photo's as well.  Tell if you agree/disagree.  The only way to change that would be to shorten the links, which may be very very challenging and not worth it.  Do you know if your links are perfect scale with the real items?   If so, then the attach points have some kind of error.  And if that is the case, I would shorten the links anyway even if they are put a bit out of scale.  After all, too late to modify attach points.  I should however reserve final judgement until I see the side view, as any misalignment as viewed from the side can also affect this delicate relationship.

I know what you went through rigging those gear doors - a very challenging task.  

Edited by JayW

On 3/8/2020 at 8:30 PM, airscale said:

thanks for that pic Antonio, I haven't seen it before - interesting it doesn't show the black tail - I assume that came later. Also very little exhaust staining so that will save me trying to do that badly :)

thanks again - great find!

mu honor Peter,  no words for your sublime  build :)

not sure if you've seen these  also, cheers

59489009-10216158947980631-9144931129277

WEB10902-2008h.jpg

WEB10877-2008h.jpg

SI81-896-640.jpg

WEB10072-2003-640-jpg.jpg

WEB10873-2008h.jpg

Edited by Antonio Argudo