airscale

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

Help needed folks...

does anyone have any detail on the external labelling on a P51?

I can see there are many dotted around the airframe, and have asked Aircorps if they have anything showing what they are, but in the meantime is there a P51 resource somewhere that shows them for a 'C'?

WIP175_zpstcsrwomi.jpg

TIA

Peter

Peter...

I think you have a ways to go before you are ready for external stencils, eh?

LOL

Peter, you need document 102-00010 on Aircops library for full P-51B/C markings and labels. Just type the number in the "Search" frame.

Unbelievable! thank you so much, that is EXACTLY what I was after :)

Peter...

I think you have a ways to go before you are ready for external stencils, eh?

LOL

ah yes, but I am doing the decal artwork so I need to get all of it gathered together now so i can get them printed with an airscale stock order that is getting overdue :)

Peter

evening folks :)

been away a bit lately, but have got a little done in the last few days :)

first, thanks to the direction to the aircorps librarary reference to all the external markings on drawing 106-00010 I have finally finished the decal sheet (well except for Don Lopez's name & kills marking but I need to find the right font..)

WIP176_zpsvcr6dbom.jpg

and I started to make up the fuselage structures - you can see here in a pic Denzil from Aircorps kindly provided all the internal formers & stations along the cockpit walls - these I have made in PE and they are designed to sit in some 'U' shaped brass channel which acts as the main fuselage longerons top & bottom they all slot into..

WIP189_zpsapq1utbq.jpg

..I started with a simple first pair (station 89.75) - each of these is a full thickness PE part, laminated with a more detailed one, and now I am adding the strip that runs along the internal edge to make them look like pressed parts...

WIP177_zps7d7s6mvp.jpg

..each of the parts of station 104 is more substantial, these are a core but laminated both sides, plus another lower laminate for the strengthening plate - seen here with the brass longeron & some strip ali..

WIP178_zpsws50fa9b.jpg

..station 104 is actually two sets of formers joined together so here is each half of the left side with some brass spacers..

WIP179_zpsxn5cmwfv.jpg

..and assembled..

WIP181_zpsopwdxnvn.jpg

..the right hand fuselage side of station 104 is the spare lamp storage which has a little hatch, so the base of the hatch is in PE and the hatch cover will be added later after painting - sprue was threaded through holes to make the bigger bolts at the bottom (these still need cleaning up)...

WIP180_zpstgbvkwjw.jpg

..and assembled..

the PE panel has cross head screws in the artwork and it is testament to PPD's quality that I can actually see them with my opti-visor :)

WIP182_zps5gmnwox0.jpg

..another bit of PE was made for one of the mounts for a cockpit component - it starts life flat, and again the PE artwork takes the drawings and just adds in each elevation so you end up with what it would look like unfolded flat..

WIP183_zpsgzn76h4u.jpg

..quite dificult to fold as it has folds on all four sides - this was the best I could do..

WIP184_zpsi1b8mrwj.jpg

..so the first parts start to take shape..

WIP185_zpsezy16rah.jpg

WIP186_zpsb6klygtp.jpg

..and this is sort of how they will go to make up the cockpit sides..

WIP188_zps3daurpld.jpg

WIP187_zpsshzbcjba.jpg

..thats all for now - a LONG way to go :)

TTFN

Peter

Posted (edited)

1zirIjf.jpg?2

Edited by mmaben

I spent the last 2 weeks reading through the spitfire build and was blown away. Extremely impressed by the precision and perfection you strive for in your build. A true artist. So 

glad I am on the ground floor for this build. Looking forward to being stunned and amazed.

Gord

Peter, I know it's poor form, but may I ask how much it costs to get all these custom PE sheets and decals made for one project? It's inspirational, but the cost scares me!

not to steal Peter's thunder by answering, but it will run into several hundred ££

but given that these projects last for over a year, it's all relative