Verlinden has closed down!

Barry

The first and only time I used a Verlinden set was to "enhance" a 1/48 Tamiya F-16. The fit was simply horrible. I had never thought you could make not-to-scale aftermarket items ...

This was a learning experience. Since then, I have come back to my senses : never again Verlinden, 1/48, F-16 ( nor Tamiya )

I have no experience with their figures or AFV sets, but, IMHO, destroying the aircraft sets molds is doing a service to the modelling community ...

Hubert

Well gents, you are quite harsh...

Some of the sets did not fit and others not correctly detailed but others were very nice and fit like a glove. By the way, I could have written the same about other aftermarket manufacturers, including two famous czech ones!

There are not a lot of airplane detail sets for which somebody else did not release an equivalent product. However, if there is one thing for which the end of the company will have an impact, this is the figures and accessories related to aircraft! Nobody else released such a range of 1/32 figures! Bravo 6 ones are exquisite but true 1/35th ones whereas all Verlinden figures were actually 1/32th ones!

I am quite happy I got all of their tug tractors, generators and so on... They were not cheap but are rather nice. Now, indeed, the price will skyrocket for some items...

Well gents, you are quite harsh...

Just remember this simple fact: nobody (except Shep Paine) ever had the idea of weathering a model plane until François V. came along with his 'The Verlinday Way' books.

In the late 1970s Verlinden brought a whole series of firsts to this hobby: resin castings, 120mm figures, detail accessories, diorama presentations…. even photo-etching which was unheard of. In doing so he single-handedly changed the course of plastic scale modelling.

Like it or not, everyone of us modellers owes something to François Verlinden.

As to why the moulds were destroyed, it's no big deal because silicon rubber moulds only last for 30-50 castings and had to be renewed again and again. What's important is not the moulds but the production masters and as far as I know it, nobody heard Verlinden destroying them.   ;)

Cheers,

Quang

14292354_1399923923370444_55330818648076

As a matter of fact, the white boxes (1418 and 1387 and the others) in this photo are NOT completed moulds but only mould boxings ready to be filled up with silicon rubber.

One can see secured at the bottom of each box the resin masters destined to be reproduced. 

Quang

Edited by quang

Their diorama ground work items I found quite nice for my armour modelling needs and as said before, their carrier deck vehicles were very nice.

Also what got me going from a simple model "assembler" with not much thought of what I was doing to my current standards was Verlinden's 'On Plastic Wings' book. Don't forget this was before the days of the Internet so resources were very limited on "how" to do this stuff. It launched me forward into scratch building, weathering, etc. and every technique from that book I tried just *worked*.

I would still highly recommend that book to a novice aircraft model builder.

Along with Shep Paine (whom I had the pleasure of meeting with and having a few beers with at one of our model shows in the early 2000's),Francois Verlinden propelled this hobby forward at a time it needed it and inspired many of us to the level we are at today.

As such, I too find it a sad day to see them shut down and cringe worthy to see some of those dioramas get trashed. Sad day.

Marc B.

Got two 120 m/m figures from Verlinden : Battle of Britain pilot and the Top Gun pilot, both nice figures and very detailed.

Made and painted the Pacific pilot bust, although the guy has a rather ugly face, it's a nice bust that stands proud in my display case.

A couple of years ago i bought the Verlinden 2010 catalogus, and if i look inside of it, i realized that Francois has accomplished a task that many others in those early day's of aftermarket production simply couldn't do.

DSCN2971_zps8gqeapak.jpg

I think we all should be very happy that in those early day's of the eighty's, Francois made a start of a unknown market which was an example for the aftermarket business today where we all can profit from.

Therefore a big thank's for Francois and his team, for giving us those nice goodies for our beloved hobby. :goodjob:

Greetz

Danny

Edited by DannyVM

I only have used the f-5 set. Did not really like it epically the PE....had a go with some German figures but not that great as well...but I grew up around Verlinden as a kid and I was amazed to see the verlinden way books in the toy shops and having items on the Arab conflict and Vietnam war .....could not effort most of it....but nevertheless it was fun to see and as a lad the imagination ran wild....

Never good to see vendors go....his products did do something for the industry as a whole......I would think.....

I am personally sorry to see them go. I haven't used a lot of their products, but the ones I have, I rather liked. Their castings were usually pretty sharp, few bubbles, nice detail. There were a few fit issues, but I've had that with other people's products, too. It just required a little planning and forethought, which most kits do. Anyway, each to their own, but I will miss them.

Tim

Edit: I am also especially sickened that they destroyed the masters. What a bummer.

Edited by BiggTim