1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

Posted (edited)

This is as far as I dare go with skinning the belly for now. The forward join and intakes will require some adjustment before I can skin over that portion-

perhaps the oil-canning between the speedbrake wells is a little over done; but it is such a common characteristic of the T-38-I had to do it. Should look ok under paint..it’s just super reflective right now in bare aluminum.

IMG-9716.jpg
IMG-9718.jpg

…so on to the top next I guess!

P

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

36 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

So this is going to be flyable by the time you're done, right Pete? Couple of servos and motors in the back, and you can take it for a spin like your real jet. More wonderful progress on the Smurf

Matt 

Honestly; Timmy’s! Plans are so spot-on I’m sure it would fly..but it would need a ton of aileron trim from my crappy construction techniques 

45 minutes ago, Timmy! said:

With enough thrust everything flys.  But don’t kid yourself, Pig is running around his basement with the model in his right hand over his shoulder making jet noises.  

We ALL do that, so he's in good company.  :lol:

Great continuing work Pete.  You are a Master.

Cheers,

Chuck

On 4/3/2024 at 8:11 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

This thread itself dates back to March 2010!

Kev

hi Kev-

yep. And even back then, the plan was to skin the model in aluminum..which is en vogue around here lately..but you really need to go back even further in time to Timmy’s! 1/24 OV-10D for the genesis of aluminum skinning.

But also, this build certainly started before 3D printing was even a thing. Now it is really helping get this across the finish line.

hopefully it won’t be on my bench another 14 years!

P

3 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:
  On 4/4/2024 at 2:11 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

This thread itself dates back to March 2010!

Kev

3 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

hi Kev-

yep. And even back then, the plan was to skin the model in aluminum..which is en vogue around here lately..but you really need to go back even further in time to Timmy’s! 1/24 OV-10D for the genesis of aluminum skinning.

But also, this build certainly started before 3D printing was even a thing. Now it is really helping get this across the finish line.

hopefully it won’t be on my bench another 14 years!

P

Indeed, this post is living proof that (in modelling terms) reincarnation does exist! :) Great work Pete.

Derek

On 4/4/2024 at 9:16 AM, geedubelyer said:

Simply stupendous! :bow:

There are a number of you guys on here building large scale, metal skinned models that are uber inspirational. 

Keep at it Pete, this is another wonderful work of art. :clap2:

On 4/4/2024 at 12:52 PM, airscale said:

Looks absolutely fantastic Pete :)

It is addictive once you start skinning - there is nothing like it for that realistic metal look :wub:

Peter

Maybe there is some kind of secret society where you can only enter if your name is Pete or Peter! :lol:

Honestly, you guys are making it almost impossible for me to resist joining you, although I have no idea which subject I would choose?

Awesome work is such an understatement Pete, and Timmy is also up there with you as wing man...keep the inspiration and exemplary work going man! :thumbsup:

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

How effin cool is this-

IMG-9769.jpg

she’s a big girl, and needs some big legs. 
Timmy! Engineered all of this; incorporating brass inserts vertically and horizontally and high strength resin to ensure maximum strength…and the whole thing clicks together without glue.

Ridiculous.

This has easily saved me months of traditional scratch building, failures, and frustration.

The whole assembly just drops into the wing-

Those are Timmy’s! Fingers BTW-

super cool.

P

Awesome LG!  I must say - one of my most frustrating problems with 3D printing parts that fit together with one another is trying to account for the shrinkage/expansion thing.  It is small but it is there, at least with the resin I use.  A pin or shaft that fits inside a bore on a fitting, like you have there in several places, needs to be about right on.  Not sloppy, and not too tight.  I guess Timmy has that down.