1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

3 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Just thee.

and yes I invented some new combinations that I’m particularly proud of-

getting the metal to form around that cone shape without breaking the resin underneath was a bear. I am hypoxic from holding my breath all day-

P

I get it Peter.  I sure do.  This kind of modeling, the more you get done, the more is at stake.  On this Mustang of mine, I get the willies on some particularly challenging tasks.  Adrenaline I guess. 

Top panel was done with JB Weld-

Mask the panel off with tape equal to the thickness of the metal sheet that will butt-up against this panel-

IMG-8937.jpg

sand back to the tape-

IMG-8943.jpg

here you can see how the metal will butt the top panel

IMG-8945.jpg

add fasteners-

IMG-8946.jpg

here’s a look at the fuel overflow vent-

IMG-8947.jpg

Oh yeah! 

Nothing looks more like real metal than...well,....real metal :lol:

I really like the subtle and occasional ripple of texture to the surface that this skinning technique imbues.  

I have an ambition to one day skin a model in metal. 

This is another of those models that inspires me to take the leap. 

Excellent stuff Pete. 

19 hours ago, JayW said:

I get it Peter.  I sure do.  This kind of modeling, the more you get done, the more is at stake.  On this Mustang of mine, I get the willies on some particularly challenging tasks.  Adrenaline I guess. 

this is currently a 14 year project! I’ve got a lot of time invested in this model. It must be pretty special to hold my attention for that long.

my Dad always said “perfect is the enemy of finished”…but yes there is a lot at stake; but when it’s done it’s done.

My Dad was a great modeler and craftsman. The only modeling advice he ever gave me was “if it’s not right, tear it apart and do it over”…I have a hard time balancing those two quotes of his, but I am beginning to understand how they relate to each other. They are The Zen of  modeling for me.

P

Several photos up in the thread I spied a sub-scale Godzilla among the many things on your bench, Pete, and was wondering if he was photo bombing or if he has a job.  My smaller version of the same critter has guarded things I consider important for almost 60 years.  I found him discarded on the ground decades ago and, after a good scrubbing, have had him ever since.  He lived in my field box among my horde of Eberhard Faber Ebony pencils, kneaded erasers and cheap water colors while I was in college before moving up to my big hangar tool box years later to protect seven different airplanes and an equal number of BMWs.  He looks much the same now as he did then - that Gatorade-looking yellow green that looks like it might glow in the dark - and still does a manly job of keeping order on my bench to the point that I can’t imagine life without him.  My son understood the importance of the thing but not the special bond that has developed over the years and tried to purloin him for the same mission before heading off to his first assignment.  I sensed that something was afoot and rescued the little bugger at the last minute.  Always on the job, never misses a thing and is good company.  Highly recommended.  Everyone should have one.

Hey OBG-

Godzilla is my boy. I made all of my sons watch every Godzilla movie with me..the campy-er the better. They love him too. We have just about every Godzilla toy made. 
The one you noticed is my favorite. This one logged Many hours on the floor knocking over buildings made with foam blocks. Now he protects my bench from Rodan, marauding cats, and my general buffoonery. Occasionally he holds a model part or assembly, but I try not to distract him-

P