1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

4 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Hey OBG-

Godzilla is my boy. I made all of my sons watch every Godzilla movie with me..the campy-er the better. They love him too. We have just about every Godzilla toy made. 
The one you noticed is my favorite. This one logged Many hours on the floor knocking over buildings made with foam blocks. Now he protects my bench from Rodan, marauding cats, and my general buffoonery. Occasionally he holds a model part or assembly, but I try not to distract him-

P

Holy crap, Rodan!!!  We need an LSP Rodan!

21 minutes ago, JayW said:

Exquisite skinning Peter.  What adhesive do you use?

Thanks Jay- 

believe it or not, 3M Super 77 right out of the spray can. 
It comes out in a nice uniform mist. I am pretty careful to keep the nozzle tip clean.

I just shoot the backside of the panel, let it set up, make sure my chakras are aligned, then slap it on the bare plastic.

14 years ago I did a test mule that I applied aluminum panels to with several different adhesives. The Super 77 is still hanging tough-

cheers

P

1 minute ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Thanks Jay- 

It comes out in a nice uniform mist. I am pretty careful to keep the nozzle tip clean.

I just shoot the backside of the panel, let it set up, make sure my chakras are aligned, then slap it on the bare plastic.

14 years ago I did a test mule that I applied aluminum panels to with several different adhesives. The Super 77 is still hanging tough-

cheers

P

Hi Pete,

3M Super 77 is also my 'weapon of choice' for such things, although I have not yet had the opportunity to try it out.  :thumbsup:

Derek

3 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Thanks Jay- 

Oh man!  I have been using contact cement out of a can.  Which is what Airscale uses as well.  About how long does it take to set up?  With the contact cement, depending on how thin the layer, you don't have much time to get the part in the right place - just a minute of less.  And of course it goes on with a brush.  Any downsides?

Edited by JayW

1 hour ago, JayW said:

Oh man!  I have been using contact cement out of a can.  Which is what Airscale uses as well.  About how long does it take to set up?  With the contact cement, depending on how thin the layer, you don't have much time to get the part in the right place - just a minute of less.  And of course it goes on with a brush.  Any downsides?

it takes about 5 minutes for it to set up-

So far so good! It grabs like contact cement 

On 2/5/2024 at 2:35 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Wonderful to see this Pete - you have taken to skinning in metal like a natural - looks perfect

I am going to have to get me some of this adhesive & try it out :)

Peter