1/18 Hawker Sea Fury - probably VX620..

No rest for the wicked they say, so with the paint drying on my S6B it's time for a new project..

I built a Hobbyboss Sea Fury back in the day and added loads to it including a visible engine and I have always wanted to make a large scale one. The problem was (and is) it doesn't fit in my display cabinet. I remeasured it the other day and somehow got my sums wrong and thought it would fit so off I went and started researching.. Turns out I was right the first time, the airfame is a beast and won't fit so will need a home once complete (or I get a bigger cabinet..)

My last one was the civil demonstrator G-AKRY, but now I just proved to myself I can paint an aeroplane, this one will be a service machine. Choosing one is harder than I thought - it's got to be RN, but to be honest, they were all painted the same :)

for now I chose this one VX620..

RfeXJq.jpg

I started with Jumpeii Temma's plans and checked these with Will at DBMK on the one they scanned - they were bang on, so I designed the parts for my cutter..

also made a 3D cowling..

..the brass bar is to keep the keel rigid..

RcwhsF.jpg

..the keel was taped to a flat sheet of acrylic and all the formers added - I also 3D printed a wingroot section to help alignment..

dlRQpD.jpg

MxcyVs.jpg

..I have had problems with plastic card cores flexing during construction so I clamped an ali bar and added the other side, moving the bar as I went..

z0sroZ.jpg

..very quickly the fuselage took shape - it is huge..

..the floor is too high here and had to be chopped out and lowered - this is the problem with not having drawings :)

gynSrM.jpg

W7ndn4.jpg

6ikTwA.jpg

..having designed the cowling, I spent some time doing the prop, spinner and a basic engine front..

LbHLnQ.jpg

I think it came out pretty good - it defines the aeroplane so has to be right..

I60s8x.jpg

wnPcX9.jpg

..starting to look like the brute it is..

y7W9Vt.jpg

rwXzRY.jpg

tPEzTn.jpg

..so thats it - off and running with a new build :)

..A plea for help - if anyone has any good interior pictures of the cockpit, seat, seat bulkhead, rollover structure, please drop them here or PM me ;)

also if there are more unique RN schemes out there I am definately open to a rethink

TTFN

Peter

And he's off!  Speedy you are.  Right now I am slow as a tortoise.  That Sea Fury 5-blade prop and spinner look awesome.  Raw power.  It looks as if the engine will not be seen very much.  Will you be detailing it?   

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Awesome stuff, Peter! Did I miss the S.6B RFI photos?

Kev

Nope Kev, I went to take some but by the time I finished today the light was rubbish - here it is on my kitchen table :)

wqt0Rv.jpg

..and it isn't RFI yet - I am waiting for the flying wires to be etched from stainless steel - couple of weeks yet

Will get some better shots and update the WIP

TTFN
Peter

These scratch builds are something else.  Watching the process is impressive, to say the least, and your results are far from disappointing.  Looking forward to another custom build!