Silver Wings Fokker D.XXI

After a bit of trawling through the stash, I've now settled on this kit for my entry into the Group Build:

qJjrgw.jpg

Hopefully the connection to the GB theme is obvious! This is just a placeholder for now, as I'm trying not to start any new builds right now! I'm hoping to clear the bench enough to be able to kick this one off around mid-year, if not sooner.

In the meantime, if you'd like a closer look at the kit, Jeroen Peters reviewed it for us back in 2015:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1498

Kev

Well done Kev…..what’s not to like. And no, it’s not a biplane so it will be a simple build!! :):P especially since Jeroen’s review has sorted out all the anonymous little bits for you. 

Edited by mozart

Cheers, fellas. I fibbed a little when I said I wouldn't be starting this right away, as I decided to see what I could get done while decompressing in front of a movie. The answer is in this photo below:

iat9UL.jpg

Each of the 9 cylinders is a separate part that plugs into the central engine hub. Casting is quite nice, and once the parts are cleaned up, fit is also fine.

But that's as far as I got, as I quickly realised that the multiple bags of anonymous parts - some of them tiny - would require my full attention, and a much less casual effort! It doesn't help that the instructions are frustratingly vague, with parts drawings that don't look like the parts they represent, and no part numbers to refer to. A couple of assembly sequences seem out of order, and every second page is upside down with respect to the ones around it! I predict lots of educated guesswork in my future...

So, back to being on hold for now, but if I get a moment to give it the attention it requires, I might be able to peck away at it.

Kev

2 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Cheers, fellas. I fibbed a little when I said I wouldn't be starting this right away, as I decided to see what I could get done while decompressing in front of a movie. The answer is in this photo below:

iat9UL.jpg

Each of the 9 cylinders is a separate part that plugs into the central engine hub. Casting is quite nice, and once the parts are cleaned up, fit is also fine.

But that's as far as I got, as I quickly realised that the multiple bags of anonymous parts - some of them tiny - would require my full attention, and a much less casual effort! It doesn't help that the instructions are frustratingly vague, with parts drawings that don't look like the parts they represent, and no part numbers to refer to. A couple of assembly sequences seem out of order, and every second page is upside down with respect to the ones around it! I predict lots of educated guesswork in my future...

So, back to being on hold for now, but if I get a moment to give it the attention it requires, I might be able to peck away at it.

Kev

Yep, Silver Wings kits….beautiful but so frustrating to sort out and understand! My first task when starting one is to put all the bits out on a tray, study the “instructions” intensely and try to re-bag the parts into some kind of order. It leads to some degree of familiarity with the items and the instructions/illustrations but inevitably some guesswork is needed with some parts. I have emailed Simon in the past with a photo asking what it is and where it goes! 

Finnish version had two separate engines and cowls. Did a build with original engine/cowl. There are some differences between Dutch and Finnish birds. Look at Osprey books on DXXI aces and Finnish aces.