1/18 Supermarine S6B - S1595

airscale

Lovely stuff! Having those printed parts to lock in the geometry is a very clever idea.

Often not caught by scale models of the S5 is that one of the floats was a bit longer than the other (I think to counteract torque from the prop (?)) - is it the same here with the S6B?

Torben

hey chaps :) thanks for dropping in

On 11/26/2023 at 11:00 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Those are some seriously big azzed external tanks.  Any idea how much gas they actually put in them?  

hey OBG the dark grey bits?, they are just 3D parts - there were tanks in the floats but they were much smaller

On 11/27/2023 at 10:44 AM, TorbenD said:

Lovely stuff! Having those printed parts to lock in the geometry is a very clever idea.

Often not caught by scale models of the S5 is that one of the floats was a bit longer than the other (I think to counteract torque from the prop (?)) - is it the same here with the S6B?

Torben

Ah Torben, this is all your fault :) yes, the S6 has different length floats to offset torque, but not the S6A or B thankfully :thumbsup:

..because the foam and filler part of the build is very messy. I kind of wanted to confine it to one long session. To that end it meant I need all four corners of the airframe completed, so up next wings & tailplane..

..the wing starts with a 0.16mm sheet brass trailing edge - here the outline is stuck to the sheet and later cut out with a dremel & slitting disc on a bit of balsa to stop it bending..

ivdYFK.jpg

..with it cut out is is pinned to a balsa backed plan with a small wodden strip lifting the TE off the plan. Then the ribs are threaded on the tube spars and spaced out - I made more ribs than there are lines on the plan so they don't line up and all are set in place with a set square & CA.. a slot in each rib captures the TE...

TXgeLl.jpg

..the LE is made of brass rod - the use of brass for LE & TE is to ensure clean hard lines i can fill & sand to..

..here a block of aluminium is used to set a nice square leading edge (a block that will hopefully later be carved / bashed / smashed into a propeller..)

2KlbKd.jpg

..the other wing is built off the first so everything lines up and is square..

..fill in plates have been added to give torsional strength and stop twisting, all of it being washed with old tamiya liquid cement to bond it all together...

jStb8m.jpg

..the tailplanes are of similar construction, but without the brass..

Jn6X1b.jpg

,,and that is enough of the airframe complete to start building it up from here...

Onuhve.jpg

tAdKwy.jpg

XhB4S2.jpg

iPkgRZ.jpg

f35NB8.jpg

u2T0lK.jpg

having a blast :)

TTFN
Peter

On 11/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, airscale said:

With apologies to my P39,

Indeed!  I hope you one day return to it!  

On 11/26/2023 at 9:02 AM, airscale said:

have you ever had it where you go to bed at night and think about what you are going to do on your build the next day?

Oh I sure have.  Creating magic out of thin air, and at this scale - it can be addicting.  Plus - the problem solving requirements are unlike what one encounters in a manufactured kit.  

Wow Peter - you have practically a full airframe in the time it took me to paint my Mustang's exhaust stacks.  I need to adopt some of your scratch build techniques and quit trying to do just like the drawings for everything.  It saves time.  However, your skill set with balsa and brass and P-38 and what have you - well mine doesn't include alot of that.  At the moment.

Anyway - a fascinating subject.  And a fascinating period in aircraft development.  The RR Merlin came from these racing seaplanes.   

Sweet Jesus and all things holy... this is going to be one impressive model and what a great choice of subject.

And the speed in which you are putting this all together is mind boggling..!

I can totally empathise when it comes to a model getting inside your mind. As sad as it sounds I often do a lot of my problem solving when I'm about to drift off to sleep. Something will be bugging me and appear to have put the brakes on a build when suddenly a solution will pop into my head late at night and I can't wait to get going on it the next day... I have also found myself waking up in the night with a solution to a problem and then have to get up and note it down. Driving is also another good time to contemplate and think about builds... it's funny how it can just hit you.

Can't wait to see more...

Tom

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I have also found myself waking up in the night with a solution to a problem and then have to get up and note it down. Driving is also another good time to contemplate and think about builds... it's funny how it can just hit you.

Or in the shower.  Or walking the dog.  A time when the mind is at ease, and can think unfettered.  I get this too, and did same for work-related problems when I worked.  Now that I am retired, and working instead on challenging modelling projects, I get the same thing.  MOF - if I have an unsolved issue before me, I am not happy until I have developed a solution.  

Edited by JayW