Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. FINISHED… well almost!

quang

36 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Thanks Q, I think 'all' of those C shaped parts on the PE sheet are chain links.  :shrug:

I don’t think so. Everything related to the chain links is on this single page.

IMG-3127.jpg

The great majority of the PE parts deals with surface details (flap actuators, fuel caps, intakes, … ) which are legion on the Macchis.

Contrary to the new gen model makers who concentrate on delicate mouldings with intricate details, it appears that Italeri chose the opposite, giving us accurate but simple, rather basic plastic parts complemented by a host of tiny, additional surface details in plastic and metal etchings.

It’s a rather interesting approach. We’ll see in practice how it turns out.

The styrene used by Italeri is pleasant with perfect (to me) hardness, correctly moulded while not extra sharp like Border or ZM.

I gave the sprues a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200 before separating the parts for a quick fit-test assembly.

The parts were stuck together using masking tape and blue tack.

The fit is excellent all around without noticeable gap.

IMG-3091.jpg

IMG-3093.jpg

IMG-3094.jpg

IMG-3095.jpg

IMG-3096.jpg

IMG-3097.jpg

I found the ‘deflated’ tires unrealistic (or rather ridiculous). Guess they’d look better with a bit of Milliput.
IMG-3099.jpg

IMG-3102.jpg

The 5-part cowling fit admirably, hopefully a good prospect for displaying  the model with ot without the engine.
IMG-3104.jpg

IMG-3107.jpg

That’s it for today. If you have any comment or question, don’t hesitate.

Cheers,

Quang

36 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Certainly looks like it could use a bit of refinement, but it's an awesome base to work off of.

As I actually started building the kit, I discovered that it’s more detailed than a cursory quick glance at the box contents makes us believe.

Indeed it’s not as refined as the new generation kits (Border, ZM, etc…), but it’s accurate, complete and as good a canvas as a Hasegawa kit of the best vintage (hello Tolga:P)

12 hours ago, quang said:

As I actually started building the kit, I discovered that it’s more detailed than a cursory quick glance at the box contents makes us believe.

Indeed it’s not as refined as the new generation kits (Border, ZM, etc…), but it’s accurate, complete and as good a canvas as a Hasegawa kit of the best vintage (hello Tolga:P)

From your pictures, it certainly looks as if Italeri have taken different approach to many other of the latest releases.  But it does look as if it will build into a nice model.  Very much looking forward to receiving mine.

In the mean time, I'll be following this one closely. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

I wonder what they're for then ?  Are they called out in the instructions ?

Everything is on the photo I posted. Hopefully things will be clearer when the cockpit is finished.:P

Anyhow I spent an entire evening working on the cockpit. Suddenly the kit appears not so much as basic as it appeared at first sight.:rolleyes:

Main components completed and ready for the paints…

IMG-3146.jpg

Rather intricate control column
IMG-3160.jpg

Typical kidney-shaped foot rests…-
IMG-3164.jpg

Even the cockpit lights are included…
IMG-3167.jpg

All stock items except the oxygen tube I made from guitar string
IMG-3168.jpg

Typical gap beneath the head armoured panel
IMG-3152.jpg

PE buckles on back cushion
IMG-3151.jpg

4-part seat stand needs nerves of steel :BANGHEAD2:
IMG-3158.jpg

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

• quang changed the title to Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. Building the cockpit
5 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

This is a great looking kit, wheels aside! Cockpit looks very good as well. Are they 3D instrument decals supplied with the jut?

Regards. Andy 

Everything on this build will be OOP… except for some home-brew bits.

Wheels on the mend :P

IMG-3145.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Eagle said:

Are both both early and late windscreens included in the kit?  That will determine what series aircraft could be built- unless it just doesn’t matter to you;)

Well, it DOES matter to me. The stock kit only offers the armoured windscreen and also the ‘tropical’ sand filter.  Which is unfortunate as my first intent is to make a series I version during the siege of Malta.

For sure I can always modify the stock windscreen and build an early air intake from scratch… Still I need some good info about the ‘regular’ air intake. Until I get it, I’m still considering. :hmmm:

Edited by quang