Italeri Macchi C.202 Folgore. FINISHED… well almost!

quang

17 hours ago, quang said:

Everything is on the photo I posted. Hopefully things will be clearer when the cockpit is finished.:P

Nevermind, I just realized I was looking at the PE completely wrong.  :doh:

13 hours ago, quang said:

early air intake from scratch… Still I need some good info about the ‘regular’ air intake. Until I get it, I’m still considering. :hmmm:

What little I have ...

Z4jFo1k.jpg

Aero Detail ...

UWyWqGe.jpg

SsUXpG7.png

11 hours ago, Borsos said:

You don’t lose time! I received my kit the day before yesterday and I will follow your build closel:)

Andreas

You made me realize I’d have to slow down a little bit. ;)

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

What little I have ...

Thanks Mike!

I’m still wondering how the tube was attached to the fuselage. Some drawings show it flush. Others show a gap. :hmmm:

32 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Great to see this new kit already being built, Quang! 

Just trying to revive the urgency of our early days, John. Not that I can because I lost my innocence a long, long time ago… :lol:

PAINTING THE COCKPIT

Hot on the heels of my recent experience in painting Amelia Earhart and Lydia Litvyak busts, I decided to adapt my painting style to the cockpit.

The ‘regular’ aircraft modeller way is: first apply the local colour (in this case the Italian version of zinc chromate) then give an overall wash of diluted paint to bring up the details.

The figure painting way should be: first determine a source of light (in our case, direct sunlight coming from overhead a.k.a. zenithal lighting, into the pit) then paint each component accordingly. Thus the bottom of the pit should be darker than the sides. Accordingly the areas nearer to the cockpit opening should be lighter.

That is what I tried to achieve. The 3D effect is accentuated by adding false shadows and highlights with a brush.

IMG-3209.jpg

Oxygen bottles were code-painted blue
IMG-3211.jpg

The 3D-printed instrument panel is a welcome initiative but only slightly better than the regular plastic moulded panel with traditional decals.
IMG-3212.jpg

IMG-3215.jpg

Intricate details on control column needs careful brushwork.
IMG-3219.jpg

Side panels in situ to check out the lighting effect.
IMG-3221.jpg

IMG-3222.jpg

Right side wall attached. Note how the relief and lighting are taking effect.
IMG-3224.jpg

Pigments to dirty up the cockpit floor
IMG-3227.jpg

IMG-3229.jpg

IMG-3230.jpg

IMG-3231.jpg

That’s it for now. Comments and questions are welcome.

Thank you for watching.

Until next time

Cheers,

Quang

stop the press!

I just discovered that Ask is going to release a plethora of alternative liveries in multiple decal sheets (including the one I've been wanting to do forever, ask me if I'm happy):

https://aeroscale.net/news/folgore-decal-sets-out-soon

also, it can be interesting to see the first of this kit completed: I see some areas that will need to be carefully assembled, as the union between the bulkhead behind the seat and the fuselage.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02gn9ypSv5w84ibuzrtEs94NXon7TuNmuWXBxxoELx1eqvcf8cDqLFG3mkdA6RKkaPl&id=100064364184817

I love following your work, I like how you applied the logic of overhead light to the walls of the cockpit. very modestly it is a technique that I try to apply, even if sometimes inverting it, i.e. trying to give light to the lower parts of the cockpit, the upper parts being sometimes in the shade due to horizontal structures at the opening in the fuselage.

cheers, Paolo

3 hours ago, quang said:

PAINTING THE COCKPIT

Hot on the heels of my recent experience in painting Amelia Earhart and Lydia Litvyak busts, I decided to adapt my painting style to the cockpit.

The ‘regular’ aircraft modeller way is: first apply the local colour (in this case the Italian version of zinc chromate) then give an overall wash of diluted paint to bring up the details.

The figure painting way should be: first determine a source of light (in our case, direct sunlight coming from overhead a.k.a. zenithal lighting, into the pit) then paint each component accordingly. Thus the bottom of the pit should be darker than the sides. Accordingly the areas nearer to the cockpit opening should be lighter.

That is what I tried to achieve. The 3D effect is accentuated by adding false shadows and highlights with a brush.

IMG-3209.jpg

Oxygen bottles were code-painted blue
IMG-3211.jpg

The 3D-printed instrument panel is a welcome initiative but only slightly better than the regular plastic moulded panel with traditional decals.
IMG-3212.jpg

IMG-3215.jpg

Intricate details on control column needs careful brushwork.
IMG-3219.jpg

Side panels in situ to check out the lighting effect.
IMG-3221.jpg

IMG-3222.jpg

Right side wall attached. Note how the relief and lighting are taking effect.
IMG-3224.jpg

Pigments to dirty up the cockpit floor
IMG-3227.jpg

IMG-3229.jpg

IMG-3230.jpg

IMG-3231.jpg

That’s it for now. Comments and questions are welcome.

Thank you for watching.

Until next time

Cheers,

Quang

Truly exceptional!

3 hours ago, amurray said:

Truly exceptional!

Thank you. Glad you like it.

6 hours ago, mc65 said:

I just discovered that Ask is going to release a plethora of alternative liveries in multiple decal sheets (including the one I've been wanting to do forever, ask me if I'm happy):

https://aeroscale.net/news/folgore-decal-sets-out-soon

To paraphrase a wise man: don’t trust a decal without a photo :coolio:

6 hours ago, mc65 said:

also, it can be interesting to see the first of this kit completed: I see some areas that will need to be carefully assembled, as the union between the bulkhead behind the seat and the fuselage.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02gn9ypSv5w84ibuzrtEs94NXon7TuNmuWXBxxoELx1eqvcf8cDqLFG3mkdA6RKkaPl&id=100064364184817

Here’s the area in question. Dry-fitted without extra care.

IMG-3236.jpg

6 hours ago, mc65 said:

it is a technique that I try to apply, even if sometimes inverting it, i.e. trying to give light to the lower parts of the cockpit, the upper parts being sometimes in the shade due to horizontal structures at the opening in the fuselage.

It does make sense. Nevertheless remember the painter artist’s old principle: farther= darker, nearer=brighter.
IMG-3238.jpg

IMG-3243.jpg

Thank you for your comments,

Cheers,

Q

Well that is very nice work indeed! The shading really comes to life when the parts are put together. And a very attractive airframe to boot. Did the fuselage panels overlap on the Macchi? If so, that would be well worthwhile doing.

Cheers,

Mike