Hph Me 323 is out and the bill is huge...

NewtonK

I much prefer 1/32, and get a little irritated when 1/35 scale aircraft are released, but this is one that I think would have been much better in 1/35 scale, since it exists to support ground troops and vehicles.  But even then, it would not be in my workshop, so just ignore what I just said.  :blink:

Seems quite reasonable to me.  What do you think something that big and complex should cost in 1/32?  The market for this kit is not even in the hundreds.  So with a handful of people that would buy and build one of these you have to cover some of the cost of making the thing.  There are of course some people that will buy and never build it but, what is the market to build one of these globally?  Would it be 200 people?  Maybe they can sell 500?  It is not my thing so no worry.  I don't think it that expensive though if you have to have one.  If you want one of these there is a lot of quality time modeling and it would be worth it.  If you don't it is not worth it at any price.  When the average cost of a new car today is 60,000 or 70,000.00 I just don't see a 1000 or 2000 dollars for a kit like this as unreasonable.  They are not going to bother offering it for 500 it would not be worth the effort.  Let's respect the time and effort to offer this thing to the public.  So I would not take this on if it were free because I have no interest in building something that big and no interest in modeling the subject.  I built one giant kit, the Millennium Falcon in Studio scale, that took me two years.  There is no price I would pay for this kit, but I respect the people that one to build one and do it right.

The Border Models Lancaster had a justifiable production run of at least a couple thousand kits and still runs around $600 or more retail.  I have no problem with this kit cost over a 1,000.00 I just don't want one and i did not want a border Lancaster.  It is not the money, I don't want a kit that is going to take me two years to build.

Edited by cbk57

4 hours ago, chrish said:

That’s over $2000.00 Canadian dollars (we use smaller dollars here) I completely rebuilt the 4L65E transmission in my car for less than that (my other hobby) 

that’s a lot of Tamiya or ZM or HK models. Just thinking out loud…whilst typing.

Horses for courses again. You could spend $2000 Canadian on a Michelin-starred meal for two, and indeed some do. I doubt I'd be able to justify a kit of this magnitude, but if I did have the money to spend on kits, I'd rather have one of these than any number of Tamiya, ZM or HK kits. It's kind of like saying you could have a hundred Pontiac Azteks for the price of one Porsche 911. Quantity doesn't equal quality.

2 hours ago, NewtonK said:

Glider?! Pfft, the gunship version, yeah, there was a gunship version. More guns, bigger calibre, it was all there!

Finally a way to really use - compliment the Zwilling resin conversion released years ago. The reason the Zwilling existed.

Which in itself is a huge model.

What some find irrelevant and unjustified may seem reasonable to others. I have a friend with deep pockets, he builds WW2 stuff and he is a pure fan of this release and was about to place an order last time we spoke. 

Should not be big deal for one If he thinks this is what he needs / wants that comes only once in a lifetime and he is not a penny-saver to buy kits.

Leaving the pocket depth aside, it mostly depends on what you want or not. 1600€ is not little money but not too big either for a modeler with average income, who probably  spends such amount each year for this hobby. As suggested by all hobbies, this is not a necessity item one could not survive without.

Would I buy the Me323 for 1600€? No. Would I buy, say, 1/18 F-4 Phantom II for the same price? In less than a second!

I prefer to spend money on things that remain for years, while others easily spend even more on things that come and go in a few hours like a football match or GP race.