USAAF Beaufighter MkVIf

Hello all-

just something I’ve been noodling around with. 
I’ve had a USAAF Beau in my head for at least 20 years. I’m not getting any younger, so I thought I’d at least start it-

This will be an on again, off again project, as my first priority is to keep jamming on my big AT-38B-

anyhoo- here is some work on the forward underside:

4i6vy2a.jpg

I cut away the lower forward fuselage from the lower wings so I could fix a few issues - You can see the outstanding Model Monkey cockpit waiting over there on the right….

KOdca5J.jpg

New cannon ports, shell ejector chutes, and relocate the pilot entry hatch/ladder

more to follow 

cheers

Pete

Started to add A few details behind the cockpit

X9kzc8C.jpg

Then primed black..a few photo etch details, etc-

gRGuraI.jpg

Then a shot of MM jet exhaust 

v3BUjSD.jpg

and then a little rust on the obviously steel parts- All of this in preparation for some chipping 

LrKZ5ER.jpg

Then MRP British interior Grey Green over a coat of hairspray..then chipped with water and a short/stiff brush

4hPxWrA.jpg

VmFnKRK.jpg

These aircraft got pretty nasty- like inside of a tank nasty.. they were already well used when they arrived from the RAF, and operated in mud & snow in Italy. The pilot came up the hatch and then over the wing box bulkhead into the seat with muddy boots and buckles, etc

oGEOp1r.jpg

Detail paint and dry brush with Vallejo acrylics 

And here’s where we are now- gloss coat applied.. but lots of fiddly bits to go…more paint..etc..

SgrEBv5.jpg

The Model Monkey parts are outstanding. The fit is perfect! Steve at Model Monkey made me a template of the wood floor area from his CAD file, and I used that to cut the decals. Thanks Steve! You the man!

Look at how cool this is-

eyMd1dW.jpg

more to follow-

cheers

Pete

Pete, admit I have a soft spot for the beaufighter, and I'm speechless for the pictorial technique, very well done, congratulations.
however rust on an aircraft... mmmmh... as mistreated as it is I can't imagine it happening on an operational aircraft.
be that as it may, I follow you, the premises let me foresee high quality work!

:clap2:

2 hours ago, mc65 said:

Pete, admit I have a soft spot for the beaufighter, and I'm speechless for the pictorial technique, very well done, congratulations.
however rust on an aircraft... mmmmh... as mistreated as it is I can't imagine it happening on an operational aircraft.
be that as it may, I follow you, the premises let me foresee high quality work!

:clap2:

Thanks! 
I hear you- but steel is steel..I can show you plenty of rust spots on steel aircraft components.

But I definitely used a large dose of artistic license here- your mileage may vary-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

53 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Absolutely fantastic work, Pete! How did you modify the underside of the fuselage so heavily, and yet leave no trace of having done so?

Kev

Hi Kev!

Thanks my friend!

I guess folks here like to see how the sausage is made!

here it is in its ugly phase. Blast tubes relocated with styrene tube. Pilot hatch relocated to match up with the Model Monkey cockpit, shell eject ports from brass rectangular tube..all faired- in with JB Weld. Sand/fill/ prime multiple times 

JH5PbwD.jpg

then prime/ sand prime

eUJMdvQ.jpg

PuNoPhn.jpg

WkDcUo2.jpg

Fun fact: every drawing I have of the Beau has the shell eject ports wrong. By dumb luck I stumbled on a photo directly from below that showed the correct orientation. Also found out the cannon blast tubes are not symmetrical-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann