1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

Gotta say, the renderings look rather impressive. If the plastic is presented as impressively, I will be mightily happy to add one to the shelves. I’ve tried to build 2 Revell 1/32 Apaches in the past. Both ended up junked. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

7 minutes ago, John1 said:

Crazy....   what's the point of duplicating someone else's announced product?  So many other subjects out there that haven't been done even once. 

Well, it is very possible both were in progress at the same. Kits aren't designed in weeks, it's closer to years and no one is going to scrap hundreds of hours of research and CAD just because someone else announces the same kit. As I've stated multiple times before, Takom's kit doesn't put money in Meng's account and vice versa. 

I know for a fact there has been one in development for at least the past two years and it was confirmed by the designer it wasn't the Takom kit. I just sent him a message and asked if the Meng kit was his design. If the answer is yes, then we have two new kits to choose from. If the answer is no, we're likely to see 3 new kits.

7 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

It’s just the way. Wait a lifetime for one new model of a favourite subject……and two (maybe even three) come along together. It’ll spare me from ever having to source and build the Revell kit again. 
Good times. 

Ha - well  I can't wait for two or more new-tool P-51B 1/32 kits to show up any time please.... :)

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Crazy....   what's the point of duplicating someone else's announced product?  So many other subjects out there that haven't been done even once. 

Because the TAKOM AH-64 kits don't make any money for Meng, and vice-versa. For us, it's a hobby. For them, it's a business.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

it's a strange world in which we live - however I don't see it's commercially viable for kit companies to not be doing market research on future releases and scales and if these 2 have come up with the same answer then there's obviously a market there. I don't know the the size of these organisations but assume their aren't small one man band in a shed ?

Meng and Takom are good sized companies.  Both are well known in the armor modeling community.  I think there has been market demand for a new tool big scale Apache for a long time, given the old Revell kit is probably around 35 years old.  In fact, the design is actually a couple of years older since it’s a direct scale-up of the Monogram 1/48 kit that was released previously.

It will be interesting to compare the kits when they come out, although Meng kits seem to be more expensive than Takom kits.  Given how much Meng wants for their 1/48 F-4G kit, I can see their AH-64 being quite pricey.  The Modeling News article says the kit will be available in October.  Given that today is the last day of October, I’m not seeing that, unless they mean October 2023.

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Meng and Takom are good sized companies.  Both are well known in the armor modeling community.  I think there has been market demand for a new tool big scale Apache for a long time, given the old Revell kit is probably around 35 years old.  In fact, the design is actually a couple of years older since it’s a direct scale-up of the Monogram 1/48 kit that was released previously.

It will be interesting to compare the kits when they come out, although Meng kits seem to be more expensive than Takom kits.  Given how much Meng wants for their 1/48 F-4G kit, I can see their AH-64 being quite pricey.  The Modeling News article says the kit will be available in October.  Given that today is the last day of October, I’m not seeing that, unless they mean October 2023.

I'm liking this more and more . My son looked at the limited CADS for the Meng and he's of the opinion that they're maybe offering equipment for foreign operators too[ looking at the stub wings] It'll come down to the one that's most accurate and price, I also like the main rotor folding feature of the Meng, saves some shelf space