1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

A few random notes -

Got a 3D printed version in the works of that bizarre looking MUM-TX rotor hub antenna that is pretty common in US Army V6's.   I'm in for one!

Bp07hsS.jpg

Come to find out that the current version of the M-DSA sensor isn't replicated in the Takom Guardian kit.   You've got a choice of the earlier version seen on D-models or a version that is not even in service yet.    Disappointing.    A 3D printed one is coming out in the future but it's annoying that Takom missed this.   This is the current version, which you cannot build. 

387699665_10226114628906178_567828426783

For those using the newly released Caracal decals, they thoughtfully provided "DO NOT GRAB" decals for the cockpit side shields.   Not sure if my set was a one-off but the text was not white, it was clear, which made them impossible to use.   I solved this by painting the background on the cockpit parts white.

Does anyone have a clue when Werner's Wings will finally be releasing their Apache decal set?  Nothing on FB and it's been around 6 months since these were released.   

Yeah, I saw the M-DSA sensor was off in the kit.  It was nice that they attempted to include it, but it looks like they used a prototype configuration.

Regarding the new “Late” D Block II kit, is it confirmed that operational U.S. AH-64Ds were never upgraded with the E model helmet sensors, when in very late upgrades?  TIA.

40 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Yeah, I saw the M-DSA sensor was off in the kit.  It was nice that they attempted to include it, but it looks like they used a prototype configuration.

To me this is a bigger issue than the crappy instructions and sh*t decals because you literally can't build a current E model with the parts in the kit.   

• 2 weeks later...

One of the 3-D printing gurus on the Apache FB page has announced the latest batch of mods for the Takom kit (won’t work with the Meng kit since that one is a very early version D model):

122 gal external tank used by the US Army

230 gal tank used by the IDF variant

Late style pylons (open nose section optional) 

MUMT-X rotor hub antenna (with radar sensor housings optional)

Spike NLOS antenna, weapons racks and missiles (for US Army and IDF helos). 

D-model SATCOM antenna and mount.  

In the queue are AGM-179 JASSM missiles and the corrected nose sensor. 

The sheer volume and quality of the aftermarket bits for these kits is truly impressive.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So it appears that Takom's E truly is riddled with errors.    Every E model Apache out there has a flat belly with a plate of ballistic armor.    Takom completely missed this.   Only option is to do some seriously involved scratchbuilding or reach out to a very talented 3D printing guru and buy his correction set.   For me, I'm past the stage where I can incorporate this mod.    Between this and the screwed up optical windows on the TADS housing, I'm pretty much all set.   That doesn't even include the crap decals, absolutely horrible instructions and all the missing details in the cockpit.    Here's the corrected fuselage.

May be an image of toy and text that says 'Simone Plai'