1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

18 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I thought the D version was closer to what we use ?  I have really little understanding of this subject though but thought I read it in an earlier post ?  I've got the D on back order - should it be the E version for a UK version ??

The current ones are WAH-64D, but the British Apaches have differences in in the defensive systems, resulting in differences in the lumps and bumps on the airframes compared to US AH-64s.  Also, they use the CRV7 rocket pods, which look different than the Hydra 70 pods used on US Apaches.  If both the D and E kits only have the US spec parts in the box, then neither one will really better than the other.  Likely have to wait for a conversion.

I believe that the WAH-64 is based on a D model but with Rolls Royce Engines which probably will change the look of the engine portion of the airframe and then UK Specific weapons and Counter Measures. These all took some time to integrate and time is money. I believe this time with the AH-64E nothing bespoke has been done and what we have operating here is an off the shelf Boeing product so as it stands I believe the kit for an AH-64E can be used to make a UK version if there are decals available. The UK Versions I have seen have the Radar Dome on the Rotorhead. I am no expert or even close to being one, these are just things I recall reading around time of purchase and as they are now coming in to replace the Apache Mk.I (WAH-64D). I might very well pick one of these up as it has the attractive option of rotor folding which is something the UK Version utilises quite often for shipborne operations.

18 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

M understanding is that the UK Ds are being upgraded to the E spec  so at the moment both are appropriate, having read both of Ed Macy's books on his experiences fling a D in Afghanistan I'm building a British spec D 

All the AH-64E’s we have purchased are new build items. 50 of them if I recall correctly. What will happen to the older models I do not know. All will be built by Boeing wherever the Apache Factory is. 

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

Ade - thanks For some reason I had Upgrade stuck in my mind! - Appreciate the correction!

Thankfully not an upgrade. MOD Procurement history would suggest an upgrade contract signed that costs more than what the 50 new build Apaches would cost.