1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

I'm out of superlatives Peter.  Excellent tutorial as always. Appreciate you taking the time to show us how it's done. What I love about this place - people taking the time to share so we're all learning.

What does impress me is how much you've improved the process since the earlier builds. Makes me think you need to try a NMF monster like the B-17 or Liberator. Or maybe a B-25, but something that has enough data for the amount of detail you can produce. Easy for me to say and recommend of course, I'm not building it!

-Peter

20 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

A few thoughts:

• Your progressive pics really tell the story of how you accomplished such a nice final product.  This stuff isn't easy
  • I think a lot of us would have bailed after seeing the first few pics of the aluminum skin, which looks very stressed and messy
  • Your experience with same kept you at it, with wonderful results
  • I think your fillets look better than the real deal!

Cheers,

Chuck

Totally agree with my friend Chuck!! The best way to express my feelings!!! 

John

evening ladies :)

On 8/25/2022 at 2:16 AM, JayW said:

And thanks for that good explanation for the fillets.  Peter they look...well, perfect.  It won't be all that long where I will take a shot at the equivalent parts on the F4U.  I am curious - you say you hate painting.  What is the paint job on this one?

Hi Jay - as little as possible! :) it's a pre-war NMF with old style USAAC markings and a nice striped rudder...

..I just can't bring myself to paint them..    (yet...)

On 8/26/2022 at 2:27 AM, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Impressive work on the tail fillet, she is starting to look the business now she is getting her skin. Will she make it to Telford this year or will it be next year.

Hi Nighthawk - thank you :) it will be at Telford I expect - on the LSP stand as a WIP - will be putting the P51C in the comp and this one probably the year after..

so, to skin the nose area the anchorpoint is the exhaust panels so these absoloutely need to be in the right spot. I had made a PE panel for the stainless steeel panel that surrounds the exhaust outlets and used it to mark out the correct position of the aperture. I had made one earlier but it turned out it was in the wrong spot so I just filled in the hole and did it again..

..the panel is taped down and the corresponding one on the other side put in exacty the same position..

6ROyPz.jpg

..the panel outline was scored so I could position it later...

wpokTQ.jpg

..the exhaust pipes were made up from brass tube and filler to make a master to cast copies in resin - the actual outlet is an oval so it was compressed with pliers..

AvAz96.jpg

..and as each side is different (they curve upwards on the V1710) two had to be made

GAsIty.jpg

..and with refining two masters were finished and put in rubber..

tQlygX.jpg

kIcb06.jpg

..casting 12...

eu9VIO.jpg

..the ports themselves were ground out with a dremel so the pipes are more hollowed and deeper and the whole lot primed..

ZPZGfh.jpg

jRJJMT.jpg

..used the panel positions to fix the exhausts after a base paint coat..

0AXYmh.jpg

FmgroW.jpg

..added the small rods between each one - there is a metal fairing in here too on the real one, but so little can be seen I skipped it...

S5POFK.jpg

..and then fixed the panels in position..

vX09oS.jpg

daGY6x.jpg

plfwiQ.jpg

..now that is done I can start on the nose area..:)

TTFN
Peter

Absolutely stunning work as ever Peter, and here she is sat quietly in the hanger last night not taking part in the Duxford evening airshow which was spectacular!

20220827-182452.jpg

20220827-182507.jpg

and a few pictures of the P-36 for  you Peter as they pulled her back in between the crowds close  to the end of the show

20220827-200659.jpg

20220827-200703.jpg

20220827-200715.jpg

The sun was going down as she looked spectacular! Looking forward to more of your superb P-40 but just in case you were thinking of a future project ;)

Regards. Andy

Peter,

Really great work! Thanks for sharing your techniques. I am familiar with the litho sheet process but it still amazes me the burnishing process works so well. You have sparked an interest in trying this technique, just need to clear a few projects off the desk. Is 1/32 too small a scale for this litho process in your opinion?

regards,

Paul

Love the work Peter. It is delightful and a constant source of inspiration.
One small detail: Is it my imagination or is there a bigger gap between the third and fourth stack on the starboard side than between the others? That might be completely scale, but I don't see quite the same gaps on the port side. Just that you mentioned fixing the exhausts in place.
Thanks for receiving 'our' comments and queries with such grace, as most modellers do on this forum. A lot of heart and soul is exposed in sharing builds and its no small thing to invite feedback! 

EDIT: I found some time to follow up and found this side view of the Allison V-1710-C, which I think is the correct engine for the earlier P-40s. It does show a slightly bigger gap between third and fourth exhaust stacks.

V-1710-C(03).jpg

This is the V-1710-F, which powered most P-40s (according to Wikipedia). It appears to use the same cylinder blocks/heads and also displays a larger gap. Anyway, I hope I haven't caused too much stress, Peter. It was a detail which I couldn't explain without some evidence and even then I wonder why the engine was designed like that. I haven't found any clear images of whether the exhaust stacks in any way compensate for that gap but suspect they don't. In other words, as you were!

V-1710-F(03).jpg

Edited by SwissFighters