1/18 Curtiss P40C - Finished :)

airscale

On 12/29/2021 at 2:21 PM, airscale said:

i thought I would base the model on the 21st Century Toys 'model' as I did with their Fw190D -this was on the basis that while it is a toy, the 190 was dimensionally pretty accurate..

So a trip to ebay and £160 lighter, one turned up..

Well.....you know I dropped some major coinage for another 21st Century Toys P-51D a couple months ago, in prep for the next project sometime this century.  And I fear I will not use it at all, but only if I can pull off some of the magic you are showing us.  I take it that your purchase will not see the light of day for this project?   You are so far showing us how to make a convincing model completely from scratch!  

The pit is going to be exquisite, am particularly jealous of your seat belts and their hardware.  Shrink ray modeling.  Well done Sir.

evening all :)

On 5/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, JayW said:

Well.....you know I dropped some major coinage for another 21st Century Toys P-51D a couple months ago, in prep for the next project sometime this century.  And I fear I will not use it at all, but only if I can pull off some of the magic you are showing us.  I take it that your purchase will not see the light of day for this project?   You are so far showing us how to make a convincing model completely from scratch!  

The pit is going to be exquisite, am particularly jealous of your seat belts and their hardware.  Shrink ray modeling.  Well done Sir.

Hi Jay - thanks for stopping by :)  you are right - I burnt £160 on the 21st century toys P40 and it is broken into bits and will likely never see the light of day... the only bit i might use is a prop blade as the basis for a master to cast in resin, but I haven't really looked at it so don't know if it's of any value at all..

I have history here though - I did the same with my Fw190 by the time I had the 21C kit, the Hobbyboss kit, CD blueprints, books and stuff I was in for over £600...

that just sits on a shelf... I might as well set fire to my money..

..anyways, onto what I have been up to..

I got the rest of the cockpit decals which this time Ray at Fantasy just did as a one off on his new digital printer - they worked out well - not as good as silk screen, but in this case I don't have to pay for 80 sets as they are not part of an airscale restock order..

added to the throttle & some placards..

5RQKU4.jpg

..manufacturer plate and canopy wind instruction placard..

3ACFBl.jpg

..finished IP with the exception of a couple of switches..

SR3ONx.jpg

UHx8jd.jpg

..then it was on to the wings..

I added a litho sheet for the flap upper skin and cut a tip shape template for the quirky uptick in the tip profile (at bottom left), also bulked out the tips with sheets of 2mm card..

66fRYm.jpg

..on the underside the flap web with all the holes - I cut away the wing core so there was space behind the holes - the wheel well aperture was made by building around a mini ketchup pot which was the right diameter - this is oriented to the vertical leg, not perpendicular to the wing skin..

IkUhTS.jpg

...started blocking out the shape with hard foam stuff and the tip template has been let into the wingtip

CvPY9G.jpg

VH0txh.jpg

..mucho sanding later the basic wing profile is found..

FQkLg8.jpg

..this is then covered with a thin layer of P38 filler and sanded back..

ktDX9c.jpg

QYT2ZU.jpg

..primed, filled, sanded & repeat until right..

qCMWwG.jpg

..the white bit on the lower leg is where the brass U/C mount plate will go - I didnt mount it as I learned before that having the stub sticking out makes block sanding the profile much harder..

7o1GjS.jpg

..the plate will be mounted to the core about here - it allows for the rake and dihedral but is just a spigot soldered into a plate..

751JIw.jpg

9WOMuX.jpg

..one down, one to go.. just needs the foam sanded etc..

oM9f0D.jpg

Xpc6Vg.jpg

TTFN

Peter

I agree with the term "magic".  You really have this method down (formers, foam, p-38, etc.).  I am seriously taking notes.  Lord Peter - the work we go through in comparison to OOB builds - cannot be compared.  

Thanks chaps & good evening :)

todays fun and games is making this...

z0Se8G.jpg

..a couple of oleo struts for the gear - as is normally the case, there are a number of diameters and features to be allowed for. I started with drawings and was going to try to turn them on my mini lathe, but in the end opted for brass tube..

..here the main legs have had one minor profile change put in them, there are some ali tube inserts to reduce the diameter to take the oleo strut and I cut a number of rings that are seen which also bracket a collar with the retracting struts..

..also seen are the lower legs which were assembled from turned bits and include the axle & tie down ring...

ahbsbp.jpg

...I later realised there are two kinds of torsion links & I had modelled the later one so the attachment bracket was remade..

..the rings were glued square on the tube by using another telescopic bit of tube to level them, plus the ali tube insert has been fitted..

lPw79h.jpg

..the early torsion links were made using my proxxon mini mill and grinding to shape - they still need some casting features adding. The strut is stainess steel rod..

mhD7Wp.jpg

..the close up doesn't do my lathe skills any favours but this is the lower leg & axle which is quite a complicated little assembly with many shapes - unfortunately solder over ran into some of the edges, but it is what it is..

xYzXeM.jpg

9IcyiC.jpg

..the kit of parts..

6vsxcg.jpg

..and a completed strut dry fitted so all the bolts & assembly are loose so it can be disassembled for painting..

z0scYi.jpg

DSQHE6.jpg

..times two...

eZyTpf.jpg

KGL5PP.jpg

..and they will sit on a brass spigot & mounting plate that makes the correct rake and inward cant to allow for dihedral - there is no leg wheel well to speak of, the legs have a complex gear assembly to twist them that sits on the wing surface - still got all that to make...

Et3KbE.jpg

4rsRk8.jpg

..thats it for a while - off to Tuscany tomorrow (if my flight is not cancelled..) to give away my daughter at her wedding on Friday :)

TTFN
Peter

Outstanding work, Peter. I wonder, though, if the orientation of the model tie down isn't 90 degrees off relative to your reference picture? It should end up being "vertical" relative to the ground, which makes sense when I think about the loads being transferred.

If I'm wrong. silly me, if I'm right, you have a chance to correct. 
Also, I have just received the airscale 1/32 seatbelts and engine placards and they are outstanding. Thank you! Tony