RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

On 5/4/2021 at 6:45 AM, Ironwing said:

Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as having said "if it can be conceived, it can be created."  I agree with that sentiment. Solutions to problems will come. Just give them time to reveal themselves.

Geoff

Zen and the art of modeling.

couldn’t agree more.

Thoughts become things. Everything you see around you was first conceived in thought alone. Our imagination is the seat of creation. Once that thought is formed, it is a real thing, capable of being manifest in objective reality.

keep collapsing those waveforms Geoff- You are on the path. 

cheers, namaste, and Maktub for good measure-

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

On 5/11/2021 at 11:04 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Zen and the art of modeling.

couldn’t agree more.

Thoughts become things. Everything you see around you was first conceived in thought alone. Our imagination is the seat of creation. Once that thought is formed, it is a real thing, capable of being manifest in objective reality.

keep collapsing those waveforms Geoff- You are on the path. 

cheers, namaste, and Maktub for good measure-

Pete

Thank you Pete..all that good stuff back at ya.

Geoff

Just spent over half an hour catching up on  your build, astonished by every step. I love the logical sequence, and how you decide how to proceed. So much to learn from following this! 

Great choice of a beautiful aircraft too. 

Richard 

Edited by R Palimaka

On 5/14/2021 at 9:57 PM, R Palimaka said:

Just spent over half an hour catching up on  your build, astonished by every step. I love the logical sequence, and how you decide how to proceed. So much to learn from following this! 

Great choice of a beautiful aircraft too. 

Richard 

Richard

Thank you for looking in and your kind comment, If this build in some way can help you, I would be thrilled..many thanks.

Regards

Geoff

Greetings All

As Im sure you already know, work continues on the Ryans wings. Last we spoke, I think I said I would do the tips next. While the tips did get addressed, there a was a slight detour which had me thinking about the LE's. The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of trying to bend sheet around the front edge or piecing it together in a way that would require more sanding.

Vacforming seems like a viable alternative.  It would still leave a seam but they would be small and if the and if the pulls came out good enough they should match perfectly and create a nice straight LE.

A mold Basswood plug was made up and given a test shot.

As a quck aside, I did make up straps from litho to aid in capturing the wing mounting tabs. The made things much more stable and much stronger.

z6P6ud.jpg

Anyway, back to the LE. The first test shot was encouraging. The shape was a bit to flat on the top and bottom surfaces and a slight reshape was done. Heres the first test shot and plug.

XWWn5O.jpg

UfAYmW.jpg

Ul8kmj.jpg

Zz3AFb.jpg

After playing around with it for a few minutes, I decided this was direction for me. The back edge of the LE attaches to the front spar. The frong edge of the wing planform acts as a stop to keep it straight.

KNpF5n.jpg

utXt8d.jpg

A bunch of examples were pulled after the plug was reshaped a bit to take away the flat appearance.

zZ9q8h.jpg

It takes two and a half pieces per side. The inboard side is purposel left long because Im not sure how that end will be handled. The LE is straight and align nicely event in their rough state.

dq4M0G.jpg

As you cab see, a balsa plug has been shaped for the top and bottom tip surfaces. This is the bottom wing surface..somewhat different than the top  at the LE.

1KGSwS.jpg

The tips, while largely the same, differ slightly at the trailing edge. The tip on the left is the bottom. The angle cut into the TE forms the aileron pocket at the outboard end.

U0nftn.jpg

Both were then vacformed...I know..lousy picture.

9UiHo6.jpg

While the parts havent been cleaned up or squared, this is what it turned out to be...

o87cvo.jpg

73daf8.jpg

Thats does it for this installment. Still much wing work to do. The fuselage is on its way back from John Wilkes (Tigger) in the UK and Id like to have this well along before it gets here.

Hope everyone is well..be safe :)

Best

Geoff

Excellent work Geoff, well beyond my scratch skills, which are almost non-existent.  What I really enjoy in your build threads along with your modeling achievements, are your descriptions of what you have done, which always make me smile ("I know, lousy picture").  I'm looking forward to more progress and more smiles.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:53 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Wow, I can't imagine all the thought and engineering that is going into this project.  So neat and so scary at the same time, but in your skilled hands Geoff, I'm sure it will be terrific!

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck

I can always count on you to say something nice. Thank you. Perhaps ou should have a look at the things you create...you aint no slouch bud.

Hope youre well...

Best

Geoff

Greetings All,

Last we spoke, there was a wing in progress. OK, well that was brought to a screaching halt by a package I received from John(Tigger)Wilkes. I must say, I couldnt be happier. Well, maybe I could be but I cant cant imagine how. The fuselage vacforms have returned and they are excellent. That man knows what hes doing. The fuselage pulls are crisp, clean, and spot on. Really, I dont know what else to say. Im grateful for his skill and willingness to provide insights to ensure success. Thank you John.

So,here is the evidence...

Having never built a vacform I had my trepidations. I first tried separating the fuselage from the sheet by chucking a dremel circular saw blade into the drill press and setting the table at an appropriate height to cut the fuselage free. I wont do that again :). Dont ask. 

Hence, I left the table and blade in place and just used the setup to score the next attempt. This worked much better. 

MUYnAY.jpg

It fits the plan very nicely. The dark line in front is where the nose needs to be separated from the fuselage and then reattached as a separate piece. The numbered lines are the bulkhead locations. The nose cap will also have to be made. This I can vacform myself.

0a5zjE.jpg

The people holes were next added. A template was made up to locate them.

mxl9S2.jpg

kDCpRc.jpg

Incase you havent noticed, Im getting pretty good at putting tape on things. Anyway,after marking the hole locations, I got to wondering about the shape of the holes. I folded the mylar template material in half when I cut the holes but each hole was cut separately. Because of this, only one template hole was used to mark each location based off the fuselage centerline.

It seems to have worked out well.

8y4oDY.jpg

19y0gq.jpg

9oIwEn.jpg

Thats it for me boys and girls...work continues :)

Hope everyone is well..be safe

Regards

Geoff