RYAN STA 1/18

Ironwing

9 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Geoff,

Your build is very inspiring and well done. As I'm in the exploration stages for a somewhat similar project, albeit in 1/32, am soaking up everything you do. I know you're excited about the STA and it's contagious.  Look forward to every update.

Cheers,

Damian

Hi Damian

Thanks for looking in. Comments help to keep the fire burning. I've wanted to do this for a very very long time. Scratch building opens an entirely new unlimited dynamic. It can also bring trepidation and epic failure. This only makes success so much more satisfying.

Enzo Ferrari was once quoted as having said "if it can be conceived, it can be created."  I agree with that sentiment. Solutions to problems will come. Just give them time to reveal themselves. Accept failure as knowledge. Polish your skills as you go forward. Uncouple your self imposed limits. You're better than you think...go for it :)

Regards

Geoff

Greetings All

Time for another adventure in the joys of modeling...cutting,sanding,grinding,drawing,gluing and creating something that looks nothing like an aeroplane while occassionally hurting yourself...we soldier on.

I did get a bit of good news from John Wilkes (Tigger).The fuselage molds arrived safely in the UK and he pronounced them good to go as they are. Theyre still a few weeks away but Ive plenty of things to keep me busy doing (as Peter noted) dull stuff. Actually I rather like developing things this way.I must be dull :)

So work on the wing is still ongoing. The span, as is, was too long and had to be cut down. This was done by triming equal amouts from the inboard side and set to twenty inches.EbE3ea.jpg

Z7j0hw.jpg

O0S4Vx.jpg

Ive decided to give the wing a balsa core. It adds a bit of weight but reduces the number of ribs required and the gear will handle the weight. Since adding a forward spar and ribs, the wing panels have stiffened up nicely. The wing attachment tabs tend to deflect a bit when the wings are hung on them but this is a temporary issue.

This was a good time to address the main gear. The mains are perpendicular to the ground, not the wing. Given that the wings have four degrees of dyhedral, if the the mains were made perp to the wing, it would end up looking like the mains on a BF 109.

The mains on the ST-A are very close to the wing LE.  The main spar was positioned approriately forward. Thru holes were drilled at the main gear forward tube position to accept the front gear tube receiver. Two blocks were cut with an opposing four degree andle and welded into the main spar to serve as a stop for the main shaft receiver.

TFUbzN.jpg

The shaft wasnt wlded in yet and not sitting square against the stop.

dDyVDW.jpg

j33ozC.jpg

Everything welded into place...

WHVULP.jpg

The top of the receiver tube will need to be plugged to prevent the frnt gear tube from going in and hitting the inside of the wing.

Rather than wrapping the entire wing, Im toying with the idea of vacforming the leading edge in sections and applying them separately in three inch sections. No definate decision yet but I like the idea.

This is where it currently sits..DFnoB2.jpg

m0tjZG.jpg

xUVVxH.jpg

DFnoB2.jpg

I know, its not terribly exciting but Im having fun. The wing tips will most like likely get done next. A way to attach the wing support wires will need to be developed as well. I found a pair of tires in an old Guillow Kit that fit the diameter of the tires used on the ST-A but they need some work to improve them and a prop needs to be developed. The main gear tubes need to be done as well. The wing will then be balsa filled and and block sanded. The trailing edge can be capped and...Get the idea? :)  

Lots and lots of dull to come...

Hope everyone is well..see you around the patch..be safe

Best

Geoff

Superb execution Geoff - it looks like an airframe already, even at this stage (actually, from the frontal aspect, it looks remarkably like a DHC 1 Chipmunk aircraft!).

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Derek

Just now, Ironwing said:

Thank you Richard. Happy you looked in. 

Geoff

As another scratchbuilder, I like to keep an eye on how you are doing.

In particular, what elephant traps you have fallen into

Richard

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Superb execution Geoff - it looks like an airframe already, even at this stage (actually, from the frontal aspect, it looks remarkably like a DHC 1 Chipmunk aircraft!).

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Derek

Derek

You have a keen eye so your comment is much appreciated. Thank you. It does kinda look like a Chipmunk :)

Geoff

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

As another scratchbuilder, I like to keep an eye on how you are doing.

In particular, what elephant traps you have fallen into

Richard

Elephant traps?

1 minute ago, Ironwing said:

Elephant traps?

Ahh, we have a cultural thing.

Elephant traps were big holes in the ground, covered over with branches and leaves. Elephants would walk onto the branches and therefore fall into the trap

It's good to know what traps are around so I can avoid them - and you may accidentally fall into one or two.

After all, I do all the time. Hopefully other builders can benefit from my experience...*

Richard

*Yeah, right - I still manage to repeat the same mistakes

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Ahh, we have a cultural thing.

Elephant traps were big holes in the ground, covered over with branches and leaves. Elephants would walk onto the branches and therefore fall into the trap

It's good to know what traps are around so I can avoid them - and you may accidentally fall into one or two.

After all, I do all the time. Hopefully other builders can benefit from my experience...*

Richard

*Yeah, right - I still manage to repeat the same mistakes

Avoiding elephant traps...think forward..avoid linear thinking..watch out for piles of sticks :)

Geoff

2 minutes ago, Ironwing said:

Avoiding elephant traps...think forward..avoid linear thinking..watch out for piles of sticks :)

Geoff

More like - keep an eye on Geoff. When he falls into a hole, don't follow him

:D

Don't worry, we will throw in food for you

Richard

43 minutes ago, RLWP said:

More like - keep an eye on Geoff. When he falls into a hole, don't follow him

:D

Don't worry, we will throw in food for you

Richard

Unavoidable hazard of scratch building I'm afraid Richard, despite our best efforts, as you, I and all other scratch builders well know...it what makes it all such fun! :)

Derek