RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

7 hours ago, John1 said:

Oooh, good to know!   I assume that those strips are on the outer edge of the sills?  

Hi John,

They are the inner strips.

FG. 1 cockpit

50130796981_f1ffcfa010_b.jpg

50130229963_93e093ce55_b.jpg

FGR.2 cockpit

F4+Rear+cockpit+3.jpg

F4+Rear+cockpit+1.jpg

F4+Rear+cockpit+2.jpg

(Looks like the strip has been lifted here)

F4+Front+cockpit+1.jpg

F4+Front+cockpit+4.jpg

F4+Front+cockpit+2.jpg

Derek

On 4/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, MARU5137 said:

NICE progress and work Anthony.

:goodjob:

Keep it going, you are doing a swell job.

:thumbsup:     :clap2:

Thanks...getting there!

On 4/10/2022 at 11:56 PM, Derek B said:

Excellent work (as always) Anthony. Thake care where you add the metallic weathering on your cockpit sills, as those rain channel strips are made of hard rubber! :)

Cheers

Derek

Thanks Derek, I will go back and fix that up with a dark grey paint.  Thanks for pointing this out and the pics!

8 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

I really enjoy reading your updates, the steps really help show how to get to a certain result!

Truthfully, I'm not even a true Phantom Phanatic -though I do like the aircraft. :)

I made a combo order with a fellow modeller with AOA decals recently and somehow ended up with set of 1/32 Phantom decals in my order! :blink:

Currently I'm preparing a 1/72 F-4J-to-S model as a paint practice for my A-6A, however, I kind of mis-judged the amount of work to get to a better "S"  rather than just adding different outer wings :D

Jeroen

Oh thanks Jeroen!  

Do those decals have any white stencils?  I am not sure how I am going to tackle that part yet.  I might be interested if you decide to sell them.

yes I love the 'S' version too.  Always it seems there is more than we first think isnt it LOL

Thank you

8 hours ago, John1 said:

Looking fantastic Anthony.   What are you using for the seats?

I am not sure yet mate.  I have a pile of seats from different manufacturers and havent even started thinking about them.  The cockpit structure and differences alone are daunting me.  I cant shift my focus to seats just yet.  I am dreading it quite frankly:blink:

Well as long as I am on here, I got some progress made last night.

Kerry's printed part arrived yesterday and I trimmed, painted and installed it.  Even the toggle switches printed!  Even more impressive is that I managed not to snap them off!

VE77Fn.jpg

Painted and glued in

dWjPG9.jpg

This sidewall has already been modified and extra cable added

The junction box on the right side was scratchbuilt, painted, yellow markings applied, weathered lightly and glued in.  Also of note is that the BB shelf it sits on was lowered too.  Ugh terrible photo's

QOh2ZF.jpg

And everything is waiting patiently to fit in the fuse....

2FuyM2.jpg

Bit of a rush unexpected update, scuse the terrible photos

Cheers Anthony

On 4/12/2022 at 9:47 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh thanks Jeroen!  

Do those decals have any white stencils?  I am not sure how I am going to tackle that part yet.  I might be interested if you decide to sell them.

yes I love the 'S' version too.  Always it seems there is more than we first think isnt it LOL

I went for the VMFA-232 set, as far as I can see that comes with "standard" black stencil-font data/warnings/etc for a later USMC/USN aircraft...

Ah yes, the S, I'm slowly rescribing all the lost details, it's an Academy 1/72 kit supposedly "easy assembly" but I had some alignment issues and the different plastics make it hard to sand, fill and scribe. Some stuff is really clunky but the surface details have to be seen to be believed!

Those cockpit parts make it hard to believe you don't like cockpits! :D

Jeroen

On 4/15/2022 at 1:32 PM, DonH said:

Very, very, nice!

Thanks Don....getting there mate!

On 4/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, jeroen_R90S said:

I went for the VMFA-232 set, as far as I can see that comes with "standard" black stencil-font data/warnings/etc for a later USMC/USN aircraft...

Ah yes, the S, I'm slowly rescribing all the lost details, it's an Academy 1/72 kit supposedly "easy assembly" but I had some alignment issues and the different plastics make it hard to sand, fill and scribe. Some stuff is really clunky but the surface details have to be seen to be believed!

Those cockpit parts make it hard to believe you don't like cockpits! :D

Jeroen

Sounds like nice progress on the 1/72 kit, I am sure it is a masterpiece after seeing your handi-work on here!  Yup I still hate cockpits LOL

Well progress has been slow with lots of ''stuff' getting in the way.

Rear tub is almost done, lots of decals and washes added

AkZjse.jpg

And because I cant seem to make a decent panel for the left side...Kerry is helping me out, what a guy!

qQMuPf.jpg

Not much I'm afraid, but I thought I better post something or you would think it was on the SOD

Cheers Anthony

Ohhh, digging that circuit breaker panel! Love the markings on ‘em. That’s usually a bit of reflective tape to make it easier to find critical ones in an emergency. Check rides in the sim were always a PITA as you usually had a sadist that would ensure you had an emergency that required pulling on that was in the hardest to reach place. It invariably meant you were counting by touch as your fingers touched each and every one.

Looking forward to more!

19 hours ago, IainM said:

What do you mean you hate cockpits? That's looking gorgeous so far!!

Thanks...but I still hate cockpits LOL

19 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Ohhh, digging that circuit breaker panel! Love the markings on ‘em. That’s usually a bit of reflective tape to make it easier to find critical ones in an emergency. Check rides in the sim were always a PITA as you usually had a sadist that would ensure you had an emergency that required pulling on that was in the hardest to reach place. It invariably meant you were counting by touch as your fingers touched each and every one.

Looking forward to more!

Thanks buddy!  Yup people are cruel LOL

ready to print....thank you Kerry!

HZ9Ppg.jpg

Just off to put a clear coat on to seal everything up so far

Cheers and thanks for your encouragement guys!

Anthony