RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

While I have backed off detailing landing gear bays (unless they are super obvious like a P-51D), you are heavily detailing yours and let's face it, once the model is finished, how many times will they ever be seen again?  The answer is very few, but I totally get why you are doing yours.  Since the rest of this model is so damn accurate, you have no choice but to make everything as perfect as possible!  As I've said before, this will not only be the most accurate British Phantom ever in any scale, but with your other other modeling skills like painting, etc., with a healthy dose of modeling OCD, likely the nicest one ever made upon completion.  Now get going on that cockpit!

Cheers and great job,

Chuck

On 2/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Michael931080 said:

Have you posted the link for cutting the belly strap anywhere?

Hello Michael.  I had intended to post back in December, but life ... . So I just posted the studio3 file for use with Silhouette cutters here. I also posted the scale SVG for use with other cutters.

My next post at that site will be the outer wing reinforcement plates ... after Anthony fits and OKs them. 4BzAZLo.jpg

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

On 2/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, MARU5137 said:

..... And that Anthony is looking IMPRESSIVE. 

:goodjob:

your workmanship  is IMPECCABLE. 

:bow:

Keep it coming.

:thumbsup:

MARU 5137.

Thank you MARU....getting there!

On 2/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, chuck540z3 said:

While I have backed off detailing landing gear bays (unless they are super obvious like a P-51D), you are heavily detailing yours and let's face it, once the model is finished, how many times will they ever be seen again?  The answer is very few, but I totally get why you are doing yours.  Since the rest of this model is so damn accurate, you have no choice but to make everything as perfect as possible!  As I've said before, this will not only be the most accurate British Phantom ever in any scale, but with your other other modeling skills like painting, etc., with a healthy dose of modeling OCD, likely the nicest one ever made upon completion.  Now get going on that cockpit!

Cheers and great job,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, that means a lot buddy!  yes I kinda painted myself into a corner regarding detailing.  I was kinda hoping at the onset of this build that using the WH conversion ment all the hard work was done and I would fairly quickly have a Brit Phantom!  As you see this was not the case and I just could not leave the wheel wells the way they were.  Having said that it was an exercise in practicing my plumbing shills and other things, and I kinda enjoyed it.

Cockpit...I'm getting to it :whistle:

Thanks for chiming in there @Gene K to help Michael out.  

Well I am nearly at the finish line with these main gear bays, a couple of decals(instruction placards and some coloured ID stripes on some of the plumbing lines), a bit of a wash and flat coat

loQO3t.jpg

EApmKQ.jpg

As always guys, I note every reaction and reply, it really helps me along, on a project I didnt think would be this long winded.  I appreciate those of you still tuned in! 

Cheers Anthony

Good to see you still plodding along Anthony. Keep at it so you can finish the best British Toom in 1/32 ever.

And do not make my mistake by nearly failing in sight of the finishline. I accidentally used Tamiya flat base instead of matt clear

and had a hell of a time to clean off the white soot. It has been clean now again and hope to finish the model in a few days.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Cees

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

Good to see you still plodding along Anthony. Keep at it so you can finish the best British Toom in 1/32 ever.

And do not make my mistake by nearly failing in sight of the finishline. I accidentally used Tamiya flat base instead of matt clear

and had a hell of a time to clean off the white soot. It has been clean now again and hope to finish the model in a few days.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Cees

Thanks Cees

I have been following along with each of your update but I am logged out and cant seem to get back in anymore.  However I am watching your work in admiration!

Quick pic before bed.  Pretty much done 10 decals in the wheel wells a bit of a wash and I think I am going to call it.

Hopefully the nosewheel well detail  is already pretty good......but I am not holding my breath!

nEOvOC.jpg

The 2 halves arent pinched together hence the gap.  One or 2 hydro lines to go in after the main gear goes in, but the holes are pre drilled and shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Right-O off to bed, thats my weekend round up, I will try for a better pic tomorrow

Cheers Anthony

On 2/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Starfighter said:

Anthony, that is a thing of beauty - every update is a pure pleasure. Keep it up! 

Thanks Ben!  I am trying to keep my momentum going, but still enjoying it

So this week I tidied up the last bits on the wheel wells for the MLG and moved onto the speedbrake well

I didnt want to do anything here but decided after looking at photos that I might do a little 'tweak'.  I cut the centre piece out where the ram sits when the door is closed as it looked too shallow. So I cut the piece out, scribed a line (as it is two separate panels).  Stuck a few Archer rivets on and presto

Qfsnn9.jpg

7ZV89P.jpg

Sprayed some black base on and then white, but it still looked a little stark and clean.

ATjWDe.jpg

Now I want to be careful weathering this as I dont want her to look like there were when they sat in storage waiting for the scrap man.  I know you guys who worked on them still took pride in your machines and I wanted her to look 'operational' and not rusty/corroded.  As you can see in this pic (courtesy of Julian's walkaround on BM) if you look past the corrosion from being on display outside for some years, you cans still see there was still oil, grease and dirt/shadowing quite apparent.  Although I didnt want to go this far for obvious reasons.

JtmKBE.jpg

I have yet to put the decal on as I will wait for @Jennings Heilig and their fundekals stencil set to come out so I can put it on before clearcoat.

Anyway...out with the wash

YIyxn6.jpg

yJjZ2a.jpg

P8P5nZ.jpg

I find it hard to know where to stop or draw the line here.  I know the belly of the Phantom got filthy back here, but I am conflicted where to stop.  It dosent look quite this stark in real life and looks about right.  I will leave it here for now I think as I have a feeling it could go bad fast if I am not careful.

Thoughts?  Dirty her up more or leave it like this?

Onto the nosewheel well now.  

I know I know...I WILL get to the cockpit very soon.....promise LOL 

Cheers Anthony

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:I find it hard to know where to stop or draw the line here.  I know the belly of the Phantom got filthy back here, but I am conflicted where to stop.  It dosent look quite this stark in real life and looks about right.  I will leave it here for now I think as I have a feeling it could go bad fast if I am not careful.

Thoughts?  Dirty her up more or leave it like this?

Onto the nosewheel well now.  

I know I know...I WILL get to the cockpit very soon.....promise LOL 

Cheers Anthony

That’ll do Pig, that’ll do.

Stop stalling and let’s see that cockpit!

Hi Anthony,

The dirtier the better in my opinion!! I like the picture gives me inspiration for my own Phantom!!

Yeah how about that cockpit?

https://www.key.aero/article/f-4juk-phantoms-vietnam-vets-raf-service

Found that one on the net, you probably know it but anyway

Cheers Rick

Edited by vvwse4

6 hours ago, easixpedro said:

That’ll do Pig, that’ll do.

Stop stalling and let’s see that cockpit!

LOL, I know, I am not likely to forget with your constant reminder...:D

4 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

The dirtier the better in my opinion!! I like the picture gives me inspiration for my own Phantom!!

Yeah how about that cockpit?

https://www.key.aero/article/f-4juk-phantoms-vietnam-vets-raf-service

Found that one on the net, you probably know it but anyway

Cheers Rick

Yes I saw that before but you have to be logged it to view it.  However the J(UK) cockpits are different again, so I must be careful

9 hours ago, jenshb said:

I'd say leave it for now - you can always add more weathering later if you want.  Easy to add, harder to take away.  I generally find that it's best to stop before you think "enough".  Once I think it's "enough", I always regret it as having gone too far...

Thanks, I think so too.  You are absolutely right, so i am going to leave it as you say

I decided to look at my model this morning with fresh eyes and natural light.  I placed the upper wing in as well and I am inclined to leave it there.  I think for consistency sake it looks about right to me

e7ZEew.jpg

Thanks for all your feedback chaps, really appreciated it, and helped in my decision this morning!

Cheers Anthony

On 2/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, jenshb said:

I'd say leave it for now - you can always add more weathering later if you want.  Easy to add, harder to take away.  I generally find that it's best to stop before you think "enough".  Once I think it's "enough", I always regret it as having gone too far...

As Jens says, less is probably more here (Nice work Anthony).

Derek

On 2/22/2022 at 12:51 AM, Derek B said:

As Jens says, less is probably more here (Nice work Anthony).

Derek

Thanks mate, I think so too

Ok so this week has been a busy one with not much time at the bench, but I have news at least.

Before that I shall post this pic (courtesy of Martin Fenner of BPAG-photographer unknown at this stage)

How I want her to look, maybe slightly grubbier as I have seen her before paint touch up's after this was taken

n1QnF0.jpg

The nose wheel well is a very busy place on a Phantom and I just could not leave it as it was in the kit.  Here I am starting with some new structure and a few pipes, lots more to go yet

K7TGFT.jpg

cQbiq3.jpg

The rear bulkhead is different between FG.1 and FGR.2.  FG.1 is more like the F-4C/D and FGR.2 is more like F-4J.   Here is the F-4C Eduard etch piece glued in

uvfZIs.jpg

I really need to keep going on this as the time has finally come!!!

Next up

adQEo8.jpg

Firstly thanks to @Greg W  and Si on Britmodeller for the Black box cockpit set!  You sir are a legend, but it means I have no more excuses, as you can see....damn you :D

Hopefully between all 3 sets I can make a proper FG.1 cockpit with small mods.

Right-O back to the nosewheel, oh I have reset the angle (rearward rake on the FG.1 compared to all other Phantoms)on the kit leg but not sure I am convinced I'm happy with the kit one, I have an Aerocraft set on its way as it looks far more accurate than Tamiya and although designed for the Revell kit I think might look better on Tamiya if I can make it fit, thanks @Ali62

Cheers guys

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ