RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 10/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, Derek B said:

Wow, that is as good as the real thing! Amazing work by both you and Kerry, well done!

Derek 

Thanks Derek!  Means a lot coming from a guy who knows so much about these airframes!

On 10/7/2022 at 7:47 AM, MARU5137 said:

I agree with Derek  It really looks very IMPRESSIVE. 

:goodjob: { AMAZING  job}.

:wow:

As always....thank you sir!

Printed!

iNuXlI.jpg

This is the unit in the 'stowed' position

Cheers Anthony

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks Derek!  Means a lot coming from a guy who knows so much about these airframes!

As always....thank you sir!

Printed!

iNuXlI.jpg

This is the unit in the 'stowed' position

Cheers Anthony

That looks absolutely amazing! Well done both of you!!!:clap2::clap2:

OK so after trying to remember what I needed to do and in what order I thought I should update before I get too far ahead. Especially for those of you out there contemplating this conversion.

I realized there are foot tray's/rests for the back seater so I got a little lazy and hacked them out of my Aires pit I wasnt using and modified them to be slightly thinner, taking a section from the outer edge

vniJ2Z.jpg

Now this pic is to advise you Toom builders not to use the kit supplied part for the 'J' as it is different to the FG.1 and I suspect FGR.2 as well.  I clipped off F23 which I suspect is for the C/D version.  This will need a little modification but not too much.

Also test fitting the centre canopy section (Tape on to protect the clear panel as the left is a solid panel with the periscope fitted.  I also needed to sort out heights etc for the big panels in front of the back seater's instruments and navigation computer etc. This is very prominent and important to get all my sizes and angles right or the centre canopy section wont fit

0amyf0.jpg

Here is the rear panel coming together.  Still a fair bit to sort but I have the main structure and positioning/sizes are now done.  I just have to add rivets, detailing and the gap in the middle is where the radar scope will go.  This will be drop in fit after the tubs are glued in.

9QcTsi.jpg

Speaking of which....the rear tub is now epoxied in! Big milestone for me

GblBUI.jpg

Adios Amigo's, that's it till next time...thanks for tuning in

Cheers Anthony

9 hours ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

I really like what I see, great show !!

That printed part beats the hell out of evergreen that is for sure!!

Keep it coming!

Cheers Rick

Thanks Rick….getting there mate! 3D printing has revolutionised our hobby 

cheers Anthony 

Almost asleep at the computer but through my haze . . . I think I see . . . new entries from Anthony . . . or, not.  Pinched myself - entries still there!  Unbelieving I pinched myself again - entries STILL there!  Just to be sure, "The third time is a charm," I pinched the dog.  He bit the s--- out of me but Anthony's entries were still there!  OH HAPPY DAY!!!  :yahoo:

Magnificent work!  And hats off to Kerry for his backseat scope!

And in all seriousness looking back through the previous posts I too am relieved you and your son escaped serious injury.

I hope you enjoy your build as much as we do!  :popcorn:

On 10/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, amurray said:

Almost asleep at the computer but through my haze . . . I think I see . . . new entries from Anthony . . . or, not.  Pinched myself - entries still there!  Unbelieving I pinched myself again - entries STILL there!  Just to be sure, "The third time is a charm," I pinched the dog.  He bit the s--- out of me but Anthony's entries were still there!  OH HAPPY DAY!!!  :yahoo:

Magnificent work!  And hats off to Kerry for his backseat scope!

And in all seriousness looking back through the previous posts I too am relieved you and your son escaped serious injury.

I hope you enjoy your build as much as we do!  :popcorn:

LOL thanks so very much!  It makes taking all these pics and uploading and explaining them all worthwhile!

Thank's, yes I am really enjoying this build very much.....stand by mate, here's another quick update for you LOL

Ok so another quick update.  I need to make sure everything fits and aligns as I dont want to get to the end  and find any surprises....stuff like that puts things on the SOD for me!

Looking at the Aires Tub I cut off against the BBox one it was a no brainer, the Black Box one is superior and at least seems more accurate for the FG.1 configuration.

91F5ia.jpg

So with a bit of tweaking, I got everything in situ and am pretty happy.  Just working out front cockpit differences to the 'J' but it seems quite similar.

Here is everything all trimmed and test fitted, sidewalls still to go.

QFkCzy.jpg

rzCSs2.jpg

jG56ZJ.jpg

I feel like I am making progress and am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks for tuning in chaps...it's the weekend now.  Maybe I can get some good modelling time in?

Cheers

Anthony

Looking great Anthony. Sounds like you are now well on the way to breaking the back of this one (I know how you feel - it took a long time for me to complete the Lightning cockpit, and it is nowhere as detailed as yours and you have two of them to do!). Keep up the good (and inspirational) work.

Cheers

Derek

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Looking great Anthony. Sounds like you are now well on the way to breaking the back of this one (I know how you feel - it took a long time for me to complete the Lightning cockpit, and it is nowhere as detailed as yours and you have two of them to do!). Keep up the good (and inspirational) work.

Cheers

Derek

Awwww thanks Derek! You have been one of the key people along the way that have helped make this possible. Without your and several others input it would never have even made it this far!

I respectfully disagree your Lightning cockpit (especially that seat) is a piece of art! 
cheers Anthony 

9 minutes ago, Barry said:

Anthony,

Doing a fantastic job.

mn0pSNf.jpg

The piece outline in red is common only to C,D,E,EJ and G versions AFAIK.

It covers the control linkage attached to the Aft Control Stick.

That is why your foot plates do not fit.

Yeah I wondered if that’s what the case was when I was putting the final bits together. Maybe I should modify and change to a twin stick FG.1 in the XT range?

Always the way once everything is glued i! I’ll try not to let it bug me too much….

Ok so a bit of scratchbuilding and some Archer rivets added

XaNwmX.jpg

Radar printed and painted

wubrdZ.jpg

xz2bEn.jpg

test fitting....again, this time with Quinta panel fitted and radar glued in

5Inw8M.jpg

19iHqa.jpg

cBpM4l.jpg

fA17Bx.jpg

Few more gauges , instruments and decals to go on this lower section before I can finish off the top half

I really cant wait until this bit is over so I can get back to other things...

Thanks for looking in

Cheers Anthony

More bits still going in to make the already cluttered rear pit even more cluttered!  Most of the bits are there in the Quinta set but the Brits decided to put them in all different places to make us modellers lives hell 50 years later! So more chopping and rearranging....

Lv5ycR.jpg

e2pfic.jpg

Few decals added to the instrument casings 

Thanks for tuning in, time for another coffee(what is that already...5 today?) to stop my shakes for the next round LOL

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ