FINISHED: Eduard 1/32 P47D Thunderbolt “Dottie Mae”

Sir Spendalot

This will be my first entry on WiP - so please be gentle with me :D

After a fierce battle with Revell's 1/32 Eurofighter, I decided to try something simple and made the Airfix FGR1 Phantom. This was therapeutic - until it came to the decals. 300+ on a 1/72 kit!!! So, after my eyesight recovered, and looking through the stash for a kit that would both fit well and had a more manageable numbers of decals, I decided on this:

P47D-001.jpg

Which also came with this (unframed):

P47D-002.jpg

Anyway, I started this just before Christmas and the following is the progress so far:

Cockpit parts with unpainted photo etched parts ready for paint:

P47D-003.jpg

Cockpit parts with primer, base coat and a little post shading (not sure what happened to the colour – it’s interior green :rolleyes:)

P47D-004.jpg

A side panel with the colour photo etch

P47D-005.jpg

The remaining cockpit parts with colour photo etch and chipping but before weathering solutions and pigments

P47D-006.jpg

Three views of the cockpit without one side panel and the IP. This has been weathered with panel line wash and a mix of light dust and black pigments

P47D-007.jpg

P47D-008.jpg

P47D-009.jpg

Off to work on the fuse...

Great start but you may want to reconsider your choice of interior green after reading this.... Only jugs built by Curtis had interior green cockpits , none of which left the Continental US nor were any of them bubbletops.  The remainder of all P-47D's built by Farmingdale and Evansville had dull dark green cockpits.  

No big issue and many won't notice the incorrect color but wanted to make you aware so should you want to, you can change it before you button up the fuselage.

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. Looking through your locations made me realise just how international this forum is!

9 hours ago, TAG said:

Great start, just a quick heads up: you've installed the control stick backwards, the trigger on the grip should be facing the front of the cockpit. Looking forward to seeing more, cheers!

Thanks Tag - will turn that around :blush:

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Great start but you may want to reconsider your choice of interior green after reading this.... Only jugs built by Curtis had interior green cockpits , none of which left the Continental US nor were any of them bubbletops.  The remainder of all P-47D's built by Farmingdale and Evansville had dull dark green cockpits.  

No big issue and many won't notice the incorrect color but wanted to make you aware so should you want to, you can change it before you button up the fuselage.

Juggernut - thanks for the heads up... but too late :BANGHEAD2: 

By the time I read your message, I'd already buttoned her up. However, I'm hoping the black pigment will have changed the green enough that no one will notice :whistle:

...thanks for the heads up... but too late :BANGHEAD2: 

By the time I read your message, I'd already buttoned her up. However, I'm hoping the black pigment will have changed the green enough that no one will notice :whistle:

No worries at all.  Like I mentioned, it doesn't detract from the quality of the build and for the most part, nobody will really know or care.  Keep it going!  I love jugs.... (pun intended).  I'm also considering creating accurate prop reduction gearcases for both the P-47D and the P-47M in 1/32 as the Hasegawa ones are just wrong (in both cases).  I'm also looking at doing the P-47M propeller too.  I need to gather some more information to get it as accurate as I can.

In case you're wondering what's wrong with the Hasegawa prop reduction gearcase (the bullet shaped part on the engine), I have a little info based on the Hasegawa instructions that may help you when you get to the engine if you're interested.  I'll post the images below and I'll leave to you whether it's worth correcting or not.  Again, not many people will know that what Hasegawa gives you for the engine in the P-47D is wrong and even fewer will care.  In any event, here they are:

zyNDEG2.jpg

What you'll need to do is source yourself parts K3 and K4 from the P-47M kit (or similar parts from a Vector R-2800 engine kit or equivalent).  If you're using parts K3 and K4, check the fit of the parts into J2, they may fit in the holes at 10 and 2 o'clock.  If they do fit, follow the next steps but cut off the "distributors" below the level of the exterior surface of J2.  NOTE:  you may need to use an alignment rod through the prop shaft holes to glue part J1 into J2.  If they don't fit, just continue with the next steps.  Install part J1 into J2 and cut off all protrusions flush with the exterior surface of the prop reduction gearcase J2, .  You'll mount parts K3 and K4 at 10 and 2 o'clock where you cut off the  "air cleaner shaped" distributors.  You may need to sand/file parts K3 and K4 a little to get them to sit correctly. You'll then  need to create a flat blanking plate on the bullet shaped gearcase where the dual magneto sat (center piece between parts K3  and K4).  Paint and install the prop reduction gearcase and you've got a correct R-2800-59 for a P-47D-25 through D-40 (sans the prop governor which gets mounted at 12:00 between and in front of the turtleback magnetos (see engine photo below). 

The GE turtleback ignition system (which is what you're trying to recreate) does not use a dual magneto such as shown by that middle chunk of plastic you removed from part J1 (and that shown by part K5 below).  Each turtleback contains the magneto and distributor in each "shell", hence the need for a blanking plate between them.

wrDFZpD.jpg

A quick Google search turned up the below image which is representative of the GE ignition system on the R-2800-59 (which powered all bubbletop P-47D's).  You can see the differences between what should be and what Hasegawa gives you.... sad isn't it?  The prop governor is another thing that you might want to add...  I don't know where you can get one aside from a Tamiya F4U Corsair kit.

RssMIhj.jpg

Well, there it is....  Good luck and keep posting photos! 

Edited by Juggernut
Attempted clarification of procedural steps.