1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

"but then I saw the hatches below the stabilister have the same size fasteners"

I was about to tell you about that; staring at (pictures of old) aircraft for years&years, and still making such 'blatant' errors...

they are all coming off...

That's the spirit!

:coolio:

Hi Peter

Not much point in repeating all the stunning, speachless etc :-)

Just want to add that I've made a deal with myself that I will not be discouraged by stunning models on the net, but rather inspired... but this is so good that you really put my resolve to the test :-)

A pleasure to follow

2 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

Hi Peter

Not much point in repeating all the stunning, speachless etc :-)

Just want to add that I've made a deal with myself that I will not be discouraged by stunning models on the net, but rather inspired... but this is so good that you really put my resolve to the test :-)

A pleasure to follow

Thanks Thomas :)

I am always a little mortified when folks say they are discouraged by what I post - I understand the emotion if you see something you think is better than you could do, but ultimately I think it's like a ladder - i was on a rung somewhere at the bottom when I started, and after lots of trial and error I ascend a step at a time - now maybe somewhere in the upper middle... before you say anything, I too see builds that take my breath away, or make me feel inadequate for a moment, and then I realise that they are actually my inspiration -I wanty to be as good at every discipline as they are...

I got one this week - an email from Model Motorcars where I once bought some bits and in it was a link to a guy who built a Lincoln Continental - now I am not a car guy when it comes to models, but when I looked at what he does, and how he does it all in metal, I was staggered - this is a car in 1/25 - smaller scale than my P51, yet what he does I could not do in 1:1 scale..

I see this, I wince, and then I get fired up to be like that :)

here's the link..

WIP783_zpss579q3g8.jpg

it leaves me feeling huge surges of inadequacy...

Peter

This makes me speachless. Hard to tell the differece between your model and the real thing.

On 5/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, airscale said:

after a day of looking at the fasteners - I have to accept they are over scale... I could not find a drawing that had the fastener size, just the hole size, but then I saw the hatches below the stabilister have the same size fasteners and I have that drawing, and it has that dimension..

basically they should scale to 0.85mm and the smallest puch I have is 1mm, it doesn't sound much, and maybe it's not the diameter that is troubling me so much as the thickness - they look like big bolts and they should be shallow and streamlined..

I need to buy a smaller scale punch set, and I need to think about a thinner material to use..

they are all coming off...

I'm glad if I manage to scribe an at least halfway straight line on a part. But you are really striving for perfection

Very :goodjob:

Cheers

Alex

On 5/27/2019 at 9:31 AM, airscale said:

Thanks Thomas :)

I am always a little mortified when folks say they are discouraged by what I post - I understand the emotion if you see something you think is better than you could do, but ultimately I think it's like a ladder - i was on a rung somewhere at the bottom when I started, and after lots of trial and error I ascend a step at a time - now maybe somewhere in the upper middle... before you say anything, I too see builds that take my breath away, or make me feel inadequate for a moment, and then I realize that they are actually my inspiration -I want to be as good at every discipline as they are...

Peter

Peter,

While there is always somebody better at every sport or hobby, I place your skill set at the top wrung of the ladder, just below the top part that you're not supposed to step on for fear of falling off.  You might consider slowing down a bit before you fall off! :)

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

On 5/27/2019 at 4:31 PM, airscale said:

I see this, I wince, and then I get fired up to be like that :)

it leaves me feeling huge surges of inadequacy...

I felt the same after reading Gerald Wingrove's book The Complete Car Modeller nearly 30 years ago.

But then you twig that the builder is not a magician, but a talented modeller with a good understanding of tools and techniques mimicking industry engineering in miniature.

Rather like yourself, Peter.

Multiple well deserved kudos notwithstanding. :clap2:

Edited by Chek

Howdy pardners :)

Thank you so much for all your kind words - it really spurs me on to do my best :)

I needed to move on under the fuselage to the scoop exhaust area - again this is a bunch of compound curves, but quite an interesting part of the airframe..

..having chopped out the 'kit' part as it wasn;t right, I had replaced it with a card & filler structure, but this still needed rework when I got to it as the sidewalls needed to be strong to take burnishing down the metal skins to get the curves..

..so the first thing was to create some stiff brass walls...

WIP784_zpsehpxgeoo.jpg

..this was then lined with pre-rivetted ali skins..

WIP785_zpsa4vnxuxl.jpg

..on the real deal, you can see the roof skin is ribbed to aid airflow and there is an opening for the strut that controls the door in this area..

WIP786_zpsqznppu6k.jpg

..I CA'd some brass wire to the roof to form the ribs over and started working an annealed sheet into the opening - this sheet was prepared by riveting the trailing edge and making the strut hole & rivets..

WIP787_zpsfgouupr3.jpg

..the tips of the scoop ribs were done by cutting the straight edges & pre-riveting, and then sticking these in place before forming the edges over the structure..

WIP788_zpsscwokpck.jpg

..both sides done (before final finishing)  - you can also see the ribs in the roof now..

WIP789_zpscctrgt4j.jpg

..the side panel has a hatch in it so this was added - here as the impact adhesive goes off before being folded back into position..

WIP790_zps3u6stygd.jpg

..the other side has an indented oval (no idea what it is...) so this was made, then attatched to the skin and a hole made in the fuselage to accept the adaptation..

WIP791_zps3trcyoyr.jpg

..then it was all sanded to uniformity & any missing / lost rivets added..

WIP794_zpsgprifuhl.jpg

WIP795_zps6df228qz.jpg

WIP796_zpsuz3buumy.jpg

WIP797_zpsfwuqr8c5.jpg

..I had also made the radiator before so this was test fitted..

WIP798_zpslnjycl5d.jpg

..have moved to the underwing panels behing the main gear -once these are down, the radiator airscoop can be added back and all the skinning under there completed :)

TTFN
Peter