1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

16 hours ago, airscale said:

hello again fellow modellers :)

~snip~

I just need to work out what to make the canvas gaiter from as all the materials I have the weave is over scale..

~snip~

..thats it for now..

TTFN
Peter

Mesmerizing work Peter. Truly beautiful to see.

Have you considered cigarette paper moistened with dilute PVA glue? 

Another alternative could be a snippet of silk. That's pretty finely woven

Or, some ladies beauty salons use an adhesive backed material as a basis for false resin nails.....apparently......ahem.:blush:

That could work. A local salon might have some small bits that you could have?

Eager to see more. Keep up the stellar work. :clap2:

Peter,

How in heck did you create that raised lettering and logo on those metal pedals?  How the heck do you create all these tiny and accurate metal parts?  Do you have a workshop full of high precision metal working tools and equipment?  Again, I'm having trouble figuring out which pics are your model and which ones are of the real deal and THAT, my friend, is the pinnacle of all modeling, no matter what the subject is. Crazy Good Awesome! 

One other thing I've noticed is that you are now creating parts fairly routinely, while you seemed to struggle a bit with the parts in your Spitfire before they came out perfect.  Like all modeling skills, I'm guessing that practice on your Spit is paying off now.

Cheers,

Chuck

good evening my fellow model nuts :)

On 7/7/2019 at 11:54 PM, JayW said:

Oh yeah GIANT thumbs up on the rudder pedals.  How did you create the printing?  And BTW - you will have to be satisfied that they are there - they are all but invisible in my Miss Velma!

On 7/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Peter,

How in heck did you create that raised lettering and logo on those metal pedals?  How the heck do you create all these tiny and accurate metal parts?  Do you have a workshop full of high precision metal working tools and equipment? 

Cheers,

Chuck

well, I have to confess there is no witchcraft, the pedals and the lettering on them are simple etch parts derived from the plans - the etch drawing just says dissolve a layer of metal (and create the shape) but leave the lettering untouched - bingo you get nice raised letters - I did the same on the fuel tank selector panel you will see in a minute...

..as for the tiny parts, they are just made by deconstructing the thing I want to make into simple shapes and then cutting, filing, drilling stock to get the same ingredients :)

again, not a huge amount to show, but I want to try as best as possible to keep a weekly log, so this week's challenge was the collection of fuel control gubbins that sits below the main instrument panel (in fact the switchpanel below that but whatever) - seen here:

WIP843_zpsakutanji.jpg

..for the central control selector I designed two methods - I had a decal made, and I tried making an etch part with all the lettering so I could paint it black and sand off the top layer to leave the letters and lines..

..the remaining parts were made up from sheet or bits & bobs...

WIP844_zpsmiqjg7fz.jpg

WIP845_zpsmeexvgmg.jpg

..these were then painted & assembled - you can see I used the etch part for the fuel control rather than the decal..

WIP846_zpslngoccsz.jpg

WIP847_zpsebfbucea.jpg

..and they were added to the lower switch panel using templates to set the angles they all sit at..

WIP850_zpsdmyumlux.jpg

WIP848_zpsb8f9cfdg.jpg

WIP849_zpsgkuf9yt1.jpg

..and thats it for this week - told you it wasn't much :)

..need to start getting the cockpit pod ready for assembly now, at which point the weathering will be added to make it a little less toy like..

TTFN
Peter

Superb looking IP!  On Miss Velma (1/18 D-model) I worked like the devil on the cockpit digitally modelling it so as to prevent mistakes.  But for reasons of file size, I split the cockpit and fuselage tank areas into two, creating two separate CAD models, with the boundary somewhere around the front of the pilot seat.   That, combined with inherent inaccuracies with the fuselage, gave me about a .06 inch length error and resulted in a clash between the fuel selector panel and control lock mechanism in front of the stick.   I just screwed up, that's all.  But it forced me to have to scramble!  That's a tight clearance even without the error.  Make sure you have that all correct!   

Peter this is brilliant. Your metal working skills are better than some journeyman airframers like myself. I have been catching up with this build (2 days reading and slobbering). You have an  airframers mentality......" Beat It To Fit....Paint It To Match" 

Outstanding work sir,

Jason

On 7/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, airscale said:

good evening my fellow model nuts :)

well, I have to confess there is no witchcraft, the pedals and the lettering on them are simple etch parts derived from the plans - the etch drawing just says dissolve a layer of metal (and create the shape) but leave the lettering untouched - bingo you get nice raised letters - I did the same on the fuel tank selector panel you will see in a minute...

..as for the tiny parts, they are just made by deconstructing the thing I want to make into simple shapes and then cutting, filing, drilling stock to get the same ingredients :)

again, not a huge amount to show, but I want to try as best as possible to keep a weekly log, so this week's challenge was the collection of fuel control gubbins that sits below the main instrument panel (in fact the switchpanel below that but whatever) - seen here:

WIP843_zpsakutanji.jpg

..for the central control selector I designed two methods - I had a decal made, and I tried making an etch part with all the lettering so I could paint it black and sand off the top layer to leave the letters and lines..

..the remaining parts were made up from sheet or bits & bobs...

WIP844_zpsmiqjg7fz.jpg

WIP845_zpsmeexvgmg.jpg

..these were then painted & assembled - you can see I used the etch part for the fuel control rather than the decal..

WIP846_zpslngoccsz.jpg

WIP847_zpsebfbucea.jpg

..and they were added to the lower switch panel using templates to set the angles they all sit at..

WIP850_zpsdmyumlux.jpg

WIP848_zpsb8f9cfdg.jpg

WIP849_zpsgkuf9yt1.jpg

..and thats it for this week - told you it wasn't much :)

..need to start getting the cockpit pod ready for assembly now, at which point the weathering will be added to make it a little less toy like..

TTFN
Peter

Seriously, you need a Youtube channel to show us all your techniques!

evening all :)

back with a bit more Mustang mayhem...

..in trying to get the cockpit 'pod' in a state where it is complete and can be fitted into the airframe, I have had to take care of many small details I had earlier left, thinking 'I will do that later...'

first up this sidewall..

WIP858_zpslczegvv9.jpg

..I had added the straps for the flare pistol cartridge box (the four little beige tabs), the landing gear handle I made from brass in a previous post, some black switch covers in the top switchbox along the canopy slide rail and a completely missing thing - the bomb selector handle & cover (with a red top)..

maybe seen better here..

WIP859_zpstym2c8ys.jpg

and bomb release lever..

WIP860_zpsrpncyazc.jpg

..the cockpit floor was also finished with the canvas cover under the seat with it's pop-off fasteners, and the control column was added and the boot/gaiter - these canvas parts were made with household 3" masking tape which I think worked reasonable well..

WIP855_zpsebmubdij.jpg

WIP856_zpsz9eyzhiw.jpg

..then a step right out of my comfort zone... I can make anything mechanical - I take a look, break it down into shapes and make thise bits - here though the parts I needed to make were the seat back life preserver (I think) and the cushion... two completely organic shapes..

WIP851_zpsm81n5ujs.jpg

..I thought the life preserver could be made of milliput on a base of lightly curved & distorted plasic card covered in foil tape so hopefully once complete I could remove it as it wouldn't stick to it..

..then it was a matter of playing with the milliput and trying to shape with cocktail sticks to get creases - the button like things were tiny punched plastic discs..

WIP852_zps279hoouh.jpg

..I added some piping from sprue & milliput and tried to paint it (another weakness...)

WIP854_zpsd5bgnyec.jpg

..same for the cushion, though this time a strap was added at the front from folded tape & foil brass retaining straps...

WIP853_zps3unoblzj.jpg

..I am not 100% on it and may try painting it again, but for now it looks like this...

WIP857_zpsrsjtbgny.jpg

..and at home in the cockpit...

WIP861_zpsscxksre7.jpg

WIP862_zps8clqrgkj.jpg

WIP863_zpsqvonapc5.jpg

WIP864_zpshiogdqfq.jpg

..getting there...

TTFN
Peter