Italeri Mirage IIICZ SAAF, FINISHED!!

ericg

Air brake are working like it was describe by Tom (TBC)
They are connected (extrados and intrados) mechanically together and moved by one hydraulic cylinder
When the engine is stopped, consequently the hydraulic pump not running, is not to able to maintain high pressure.

The pressure decrease gradually, and with the weigth of the part underside, both are opening a bit.

Pete, okay i found the thing i was looking for so i am back with you guys. The speed brakes are used to bleed the hydraulic system after the engine has been shut down thats my basic knowledge. Ive flown dassault civilian types before extensively ( falcon900ex and falcon7x so i cannot ascertain if what i read is true) what ive read in the publication is that air brakes usually drooped and it was a matter of pilot skill/experience as to how closed those were able to be after shutdown and bleeding the hydraulics. Mirage drivers will be able to elaborate on how true this is. What i know for sure is that both the top and bottom air brakes were connected mechanically so they extended and retracted together. Hope this clarifies what I meant

Karim

Though I can not speak from experience on the Mirage it is a very common practice to use one or more of the flight controls to bled down the hydraulic pressure. Makes the aircraft much safer for post flight maintenance.

Barry

Some more work.

The model is together and is starting to look like an aeroplane now.

IMG_8027_zpsmlplsxnw.jpg

The wing joints will require some work. I decided to not follow the instructions and I attached the wings after the fuselage was joined together. I believe this will require less work in the long run and enables the final fit of the wings to be much more closely matched to the fuselage.

IMG_8029_zpsid0ircuw.jpg

IMG_8030_zpsiovnjl7e.jpg

The intakes are also another area that will require some thought as there are some rather large gaps that will need to be filled and then the panels that run through the joints will require re-scribing.

IMG_8028_zpsestoiylb.jpg

To complicate the build somewhat, I decided to whip up a copy of my resin 1:1 Mirage stick grip that I was producing a couple of years ago. I did have my own copy in my display cabinet when I first made these, but I gave it away to a retiring captain at my work who flew Mirages and who also inspired my interest in Mirages. This one will sit next to my two 1/32 Mirages when it is done.

IMG_8032_zpsfehbsztt.jpg

Looking really impressive ..

One thing I've found is that the kit decals are excellent , robust , yet they conform beautifully to surface details, superb colour density as well  I started decaling my IAF model last night  and the red flashes round the intake  against the NMF.. hmm beautiful   - 

I'm so enjoying this one .. stay tuned fro pics at some stage , and yup the wing to fuselage gap is a sod..!

Dry-fitting is the key. I am ready to close my Mirage fuselage now. It's also a nice idea to paint the inner side of the intake trunks first (gloss white) before adding the outer halves. And don't forget to dry-fit the speedbrakes too before closing the wing halves, not to mention the position light inserts and to drill the holes for the external stores as appropriate...

Regards

- dutik

Eric fantastic progress...

looks like this kit will need alot of the 'regular' tender loving care... the kit wuality seems more and more to be on par with the italeri starfighter in regards to filling sanding and rescribing - oh well!

looking forward to more

The mirage column looks superb lol are you going to get it done in a separate thread the painting and all or incorporate it to this thread?

Karim

Looking forward to seeing this done. I can't believe that Italeri decided to leave a big hole in the wing where the speed brakes are.

Tom

Unless that's the way it's supposed to be? I have no idea- I am looking for references though!

Eric!

You build fast and well! Coming together beautifully as per your standard..fun to watch and very helpful-

warm regards,

Pete 

Hi Craig,

I use Barnes TC 890 and TC 802.

Eric fantastic progress...

looks like this kit will need alot of the 'regular' tender loving care... the kit wuality seems more and more to be on par with the italeri starfighter in regards to filling sanding and rescribing - oh well!

looking forward to more

The mirage column looks superb lol are you going to get it done in a separate thread the painting and all or incorporate it to this thread?

Karim

Hi Karim, the Starfighter is better than the Mirage in my opinion. There is nothing in the kit that can't be overcome with some old fashioned modelling skills though.

I will construct the resin stick in conjunction with this thread, as if you like Mirages I am sure you will be checking it out here.

Eric.

Here are my thoughts on the speed brakes.

Yes, there is a massive hole in the wing with no 'wells' so to speak. I think that unless you want to pose them fully open then there will be no need to worry about modifying the kit. They were either closed fully or just cracked open on the ground in the pictures that I have seen of the real thing. If you have them slightly open, then there would be no way to ascertain that there is no detail or even that there is a hole in the wing to viewers of your model.

Eric.